HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:24 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,466 Posts
A power distributor of some type is a must in my book with anything 50cc and above. These servos pull some current. High speed high energy maneuvers put a huge load on them with 3d type throws. It doesn't matter the make or type as 5+ high torque high speed servos under a high speed tumble ,pop top, or blender is going to take some power to hold.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:24 PM
Riley O'Brien
Waverly, NE
Joined Jul 2008
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
I know, I was just spurring the conversation on...

Maybe a stupid question, but can you not run dual Rx's? Say, the 9 ch for control surfaces/throttle, and an AR400 or similar cheap Rx for accessories like smoke? If you bind them at the same time to the same radio, will they both react and function from the same radio?
Not a spektrum expert but generally you can bind both but the channels will run the same. For example if you have left aileron on ch 1 the second rx ch1 will also respond to your aileron inputs. So it won't give you additional channels.
obrieri is offline Find More Posts by obrieri
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:53 PM
Riley O'Brien
Waverly, NE
Joined Jul 2008
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
A power distributor of some type is a must in my book with anything 50cc and above. These servos pull some current. High speed high energy maneuvers put a huge load on them with 3d type throws. It doesn't matter the make or type as 5+ high torque high speed servos under a high speed tumble ,pop top, or blender is going to take some power to hold.
Not my point. All I am saying is you don't need to buy an expensive accessory per se...you could accomplish the same thing with a y cable between each servo and the rx..or depending on the amount of servos you could spread the load with just a few instead of one for every single servo. There are also some cheap alternatives if you don't want to use y cables. Jim has posted a good solution in the past also...which is why I know that he knows what I mean but prefers to go the sarcastic route.

Yes it is absolutely necessary to not rely on one or two connectors to handle the amps...I never said you should. Yes some maneuvers pull more amps than others but if you get a servo to full stall something is wrong...to get 7 to full stall at the same time...you are likely hosed no matter what power expander setup you have because either your geometry is awful(with these big servos bad geometry would likely rip the surface off before going full stall) or you have already hit the ground...

Brushless servos do pull fewer amps in regular use than equivalent brushed servos. That is a fact. Sorry I wasn't as calculated with my words as I should have been at first.

I ran the hempel yak in my avatar with those very servos with two leads off of each lipo going to the rx via 20ga y cables connected to 4 of the servos. Assuming max for each connector is 5 amps that gives me 20. That plane has some enormous surfaces with pocket hinges that allow me to get around 75-80 degrees of throw on aile and elev. I flew that airplane extremely hard. No issues. My "power expander" cost me less than $20. I used that airplane as a test bed for several different setups throughout the last few years and those servos were great...probably the best ones I tried in that plane.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:17 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by obrieri View Post
Jim has posted a good solution in the past also...which is why I know that he knows what I mean but prefers to go the sarcastic route.

Brushless servos do pull fewer amps in regular use than equivalent brushed servos. That is a fact. Sorry I wasn't as calculated with my words as I should have been at first.
I wasn't being sarcastic. Sorry if you took it that way. I questioned your statement about the servos taking "Very little current draw" How this got turned into buying big red boards cornfuses me again. My concern was with any newcomers hiding here trying to gain some knowledge and saw your comment about "Very little current draw" might come to the conclusion that some type of extra power distribution wasn't necessary when running all those servos. That was the point I was trying to make. I've offered up a do it yourself solution, and have for years that works well for battery isolation and power distribution. I do know that some people prefer to buy something off the shelf instead of trying to do it them selves. Smartfly has great product's for power setups, as well as many other companies do. Savox has done a good job designing these servos because (now get this) they do pull less current than other brushless servos on the market. But Less does not mean they still wont need something to help distribute the power to them.
Sorry didn't mean to start anything.
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:33 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,466 Posts
So with that you can hook up two bec pros to power your system? If so that's awesome. If it can l will be making one for sure
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:34 PM
Riley O'Brien
Waverly, NE
Joined Jul 2008
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285 View Post
I wasn't being sarcastic. Sorry if you took it that way. I questioned your statement about the servos taking "Very little current draw" How this got turned into buying big red boards cornfuses me again. My concern was with any newcomers hiding here trying to gain some knowledge and saw your comment about "Very little current draw" might come to the conclusion that some type of extra power distribution wasn't necessary when running all those servos. That was the point I was trying to make. I've offered up a do it yourself solution, and have for years that works well for battery isolation and power distribution. I do know that some people prefer to buy something off the shelf instead of trying to do it them selves. Smartfly has great product's for power setups, as well as many other companies do. Savox has done a good job designing these servos because (now get this) they do pull less current than other brushless servos on the market. But Little does not mean they still wont need something to help distribute the power to them.
Sorry didn't mean to start anything.
Its all good. I should have been more specific. I was also trying to help the noobs by letting them know they don't absolutely need to jump into a smart-fly. I think we were more or less on the same page the whole time I just probably should have been more detailed with my initial comment.

The smart-fly expander is one of the few products I am highly opinionated about in this hobby...actually the only thing I can think of right now. I could care less what brand of anything you fly but I have seen too many people waste time and money with those. Nothing against the company...I buy a lot of other things from them and the service has been great.

Sorry for all that.

Anywhoooo....Hugocraft needs to post more pics
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:35 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
F-22 = Failure! 1800 Packs are too much weight for it...

First time I've ever had a plane just mush to the ground, especially in a 15mph headwind at full throttle, and just sink and stop flying. Drives around on the grass just fine!

Back to the drawing board. Got to get down to like 1000 mAh minimum 30C packs to have enough power for launching and sustaining a flyout. Going light with lots of juice, maybe even an 850 40C... Stock recommendation is 800.

Guess the loose talk elsewhere about putting 1800's in was only with the 6000KV hopups...

At least it survived a half cartwheel and two Snap Rolls at 4 ft off the grass on two launches. Minor scuffs, scratches and a broken Elev. Horn.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:37 PM
Riley O'Brien
Waverly, NE
Joined Jul 2008
507 Posts
Quote:
So with that you can hook up two bec pros to power your system? If so that's awesome. If it can l will be making one for sure
Yes, you can. I whipped up a couple of those to play around with after he posted that and they are very simple and do the job.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:40 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,466 Posts
obrieri ok so you just think that smart fly isn't worth it. Got it.

They are expensive for sure. I hooked up a smartfly system the other day. It is a nice product.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:42 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by obrieri View Post
Yes, you can. I whipped up a couple of those to play around with after he posted that and they are very simple and do the job.
Cool. Will order some parts this evening
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:11 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,730 Posts
Quote:
Well that's a really good question. Easy answer is yes you can. But

The design works by pulling current from the side/battery with the highest voltage until the 2 inputs are equal, then draws from both. Which is a good thing when running from batteries. Keeps everything working in tandem.

Hooking 2 BEC's (pros or anything like them) up to the inputs also work well, except no matter how hard you try you will not be able to get exactly the same voltage from both of the BEC's. Resolution is just not great enough and there's enough variance in the parts used in them to never be able to get exactly the same voltage out of them. But under heavy load the BEC with the higher voltage sags just enough to allow the other BEC to help. Which is exactly what we need to happen. But and its really the only but, When using BEC's you will have one battery that discharges a bit more than the other.
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:14 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,585 Posts
Going to be setting up my Edge soon with the Futaba 8J that I just ordered can't wait to get it! AND my 12x6 prop came in so it should be lots of fun....

Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CustomFPVSetups.com
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:15 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,534 Posts
huckin

addict

rf 6.5
cale10 is offline Find More Posts by cale10
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:18 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO View Post
Going to be setting up my Edge soon with the Futaba 8J that I just ordered can't wait to get it! AND my 12x6 prop came in so it should be lots of fun....

Dan
It will be Tweaked Out!
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:22 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
It will be Tweaked Out!