HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:11 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
Doesn't glow run about triple the RPM of a comparable gas two-stroke though? Seems like that alone would make it less shaky than a gasser.
not at all. Depends on the application and size of motor. A 2 stroke glow motor for a plane like say the extreme flight Outlaw (OS 32 sx) will turn about 14-15k rpm's. But a Saito 82 like you might use on a 57" Extra would be 8k-9k rpm's. A speed plane will turn a lot of rpms on smaller glow motors designed to do just that. But a more normal glow motor in your average 50-60" wingspan plane, like a Cub, or average aerobat will be very similar in rpm's to an electric setup.
To me the drawback to glow motors is the mess to clean up after flying, and the expense of glow fuel. Mainly the mess though..
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:16 AM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,834 Posts
New Blade Heli coming out.... A123's Not Included......

MCPX Brushless!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...bl-bnf-BLH3980

Thread Here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1811127
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:22 AM
Riley O'Brien
Waverly, NE
Joined Jul 2008
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teookie View Post
I don't think you guys are giving these wood airframes enough credit when it comes to vibration resistance. They'll be just fine with a gas/glow engine up front.

In other news, it looks like Boeing should have used A123's instead of Lithium Ion's on the 787.
We had a lithium ion battery explode at work and we had to evacuate the building and stand out in the rain for an hour last week.
obrieri is offline Find More Posts by obrieri
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:30 AM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,463 Posts
Be glad it wasn't snow
blakevan is offline Find More Posts by blakevan
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:48 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
Sorry to intrude, but I have a question

Hey all -

I'm sorry for intruding here, but I have a question that I'm hoping you all can help me with. Basically, the question is, does anyone know if 3DHS is developing an SBach airframe in the 40-50 inch range? If not, how would one convince them to?

I am recently new to 3D flying - probably more at the 2.25 D flying stage, to be more accurate, but aspiring . . . The little Eflite 3D Sbach has completely won me over, so I bought a dynam Sbach foamie, which i'm enjoying as well.

Next stop - balsa. But the problem is, I want another Sbach. Stupid as it sounds, I just cant' get excited about the looks of the Extras, Edges, Yaks, etc. They are pretty, but (personal preference), the lines of the Sbach really stand out. Given that there are relatively few balsa Sbach airframes out there and, to my knowledge, no kits, I am hopeful that 3DHS sees this as an opportunity to offer something new.

Anyone know if this is on their radar?
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:54 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,648 Posts
negative, the sbach suffers from unreasonable licensing demands (basically they would have to pay a bunch of money to do it legally, so it's not worth their while).
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:03 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
Arrgghhh. Bummer. What a shame.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:04 AM
Riley O'Brien
Waverly, NE
Joined Jul 2008
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakevan View Post
Be glad it wasn't snow
It was 35 degrees though...so not much different.
obrieri is offline Find More Posts by obrieri
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:34 AM
Certified Wingnut
Delta BC
Joined Jul 2008
356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Hey all -

I'm sorry for intruding here, but I have a question that I'm hoping you all can help me with. Basically, the question is, does anyone know if 3DHS is developing an SBach airframe in the 40-50 inch range? If not, how would one convince them to?

I am recently new to 3D flying - probably more at the 2.25 D flying stage, to be more accurate, but aspiring . . . The little Eflite 3D Sbach has completely won me over, so I bought a dynam Sbach foamie, which i'm enjoying as well.

Next stop - balsa. But the problem is, I want another Sbach. Stupid as it sounds, I just cant' get excited about the looks of the Extras, Edges, Yaks, etc. They are pretty, but (personal preference), the lines of the Sbach really stand out. Given that there are relatively few balsa Sbach airframes out there and, to my knowledge, no kits, I am hopeful that 3DHS sees this as an opportunity to offer something new.

I agree with what Irq said. You may want to check out the Sebart Sbach. A flyer at our club is a big Sebart fan, they look to be really well built and great flying planes.
Rob at ADC Hobbies carries them.
LanceMc is offline Find More Posts by LanceMc
Last edited by LanceMc; Jan 17, 2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:25 PM
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,091 Posts
SAVE YOUR MONEY! Buy a 51 Slick! (You will not be disapointed!) and plus if you are getting just into 3D the plane will not look pretty for very long anyways! Well mind do not)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Hey all -

hertzrepkeith is online now Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:53 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzrepkeith View Post
SAVE YOUR MONEY! Buy a 51 Slick! (You will not be disapointed!) and plus if you are getting just into 3D the plane will not look pretty for very long anyways! Well mind do not)
You are probably correct, but it sure will look nice for the first 10 minutes!

So, if the issue is licensing, why can SebArt, Dynam, Futureflight, etc offer it but not 3DHS?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:57 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,648 Posts
they're either paying the licensing costs (in the case of Sebart and E-Flite no doubt), or essentially stealing the intellectual property of whoever holds the license.

if you want something for looks, get the 70~" one that Sebart makes. I've seen it up close and it looks great, seems to sport fly ok, but I have never heard anything good about its 3D manners. if you want to learn 3D, get yourself the best/biggest plane you can afford from either 3DHS or extreme flight, set it up as recommended, and have at it.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:06 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
not at all. Depends on the application and size of motor. A 2 stroke glow motor for a plane like say the extreme flight Outlaw (OS 32 sx) will turn about 14-15k rpm's. But a Saito 82 like you might use on a 57" Extra would be 8k-9k rpm's. A speed plane will turn a lot of rpms on smaller glow motors designed to do just that. But a more normal glow motor in your average 50-60" wingspan plane, like a Cub, or average aerobat will be very similar in rpm's to an electric setup.
To me the drawback to glow motors is the mess to clean up after flying, and the expense of glow fuel. Mainly the mess though..
Agreed 110%

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:09 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by obrieri View Post
We had a lithium ion battery explode at work and we had to evacuate the building and stand out in the rain for an hour last week.
I hope nobody was injured when it blew....

Anybody know the cause?

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:27 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
New Blade Heli coming out.... A123's Not Included......

MCPX Brushless!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...bl-bnf-BLH3980

Thread Here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1811127
THATS AMAZING! i want one now. i wonder if its even better than the nano cpx?
cale10 is offline Find More Posts by cale10