HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:37 AM
Ta-dah!
blakevan's Avatar
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I don't believe in spinners...
+1
blakevan is offline Find More Posts by blakevan
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:22 PM
Registered User
Alex Schauer's Avatar
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale10 View Post
shoulda went gas.
Really gas isnt a good idea for the electrics.
Just go electric instead of ruining it by shaking it apart!
Yes it has been done...but really...
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:42 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
cale10's Avatar
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
Really gas isnt a good idea for the electrics.
Just go electric instead of ruining it by shaking it apart!
Yes it has been done...but really...
restated from my post a few days ago.

you know if i can go straight down at WOT and do a blender and not blow the wings clean off i think it could handle a gas engine. plus i really trust the 3dhs airframes. earlier someone put a 4 stroker on a 59. they said it flew fine.

ya i know they're not ment for it but if i had a 3dhs plane i broke so bad and was barley able to fix it and i knew it was going to just fail in flight i'd do it for the hell of it anyways.
cale10 is offline Find More Posts by cale10
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:19 PM
Stick banger
Ace4's Avatar
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale10 View Post
restated from my post a few days ago.

you know if i can go straight down at WOT and do a blender and not blow the wings clean off i think it could handle a gas engine. plus i really trust the 3dhs airframes. earlier someone put a 4 stroker on a 59. they said it flew fine.

ya i know they're not ment for it but if i had a 3dhs plane i broke so bad and was barley able to fix it and i knew it was going to just fail in flight i'd do it for the hell of it anyways.
It's not about raw airframe strength during a maneuver, it's about the repeated vibration that comes from a gas/glow engine. It breaks apart glue joints over time if the airframe is not meant to handle the vibration. Also the oil can soak into places that it shouldn't if the firewall is open into the fuselage like a lot of electric-only planes.
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:43 PM
Registered User
Alex Schauer's Avatar
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace4 View Post
It's not about raw airframe strength during a maneuver, it's about the repeated vibration that comes from a gas/glow engine. It breaks apart glue joints over time if the airframe is not meant to handle the vibration. Also the oil can soak into places that it shouldn't if the firewall is open into the fuselage like a lot of electric-only planes.
Exactly. Was just going to say that.
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:32 PM
Check Your Bolts!!
JClark's Avatar
Grove, Ok
Joined Feb 2005
1,081 Posts
A glow conversion will hold up fine if done correctly. I had over 250 flights on the 57 Extra conversion that I did and that plane was flown very hard every flight. I have a 59 slick with a .82 Saito on the nose. It flies great and is holding up fine.
JClark is offline Find More Posts by JClark
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:38 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
quadracer's Avatar
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,768 Posts
Doesn't glow run about triple the RPM of a comparable gas two-stroke though? Seems like that alone would make it less shaky than a gasser.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:47 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Irg's Avatar
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,666 Posts
$25 a gallon. no thanks.
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:49 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
cale10's Avatar
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
$25 a gallon. no thanks.
go gas. 4$ a gallon
cale10 is offline Find More Posts by cale10
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:00 PM
Check Your Bolts!!
JClark's Avatar
Grove, Ok
Joined Feb 2005
1,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
Doesn't glow run about triple the RPM of a comparable gas two-stroke though? Seems like that alone would make it less shaky than a gasser.
In that size there isn't much difference.
JClark is offline Find More Posts by JClark
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:39 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
Park_aviator's Avatar
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
RF6.5
Huckin
Addict
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:39 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Bivens's Avatar
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,472 Posts
Especially on 4 stroke glow engines...not too far from gas RPM's.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:41 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
Doesn't glow run about triple the RPM of a comparable gas two-stroke though? Seems like that alone would make it less shaky than a gasser.
Glow and 2-stroke usually same thing though of course 4-stroke are also glow,

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:53 AM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
teookie's Avatar
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
I don't think you guys are giving these wood airframes enough credit when it comes to vibration resistance. They'll be just fine with a gas/glow engine up front.

In other news, it looks like Boeing should have used A123's instead of Lithium Ion's on the 787.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:52 AM
Registered User
nebwake's Avatar
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Mar 2011
711 Posts
A123 is bankrupt...
nebwake is offline Find More Posts by nebwake
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion You are addicted to flying when.... postalflyer72 Electric Plane Talk 34 Jul 16, 2011 11:12 PM
Video Angelo Lomelí flying 3D antics Jorge Fernandez Electric Plane Talk 0 Sep 30, 2006 02:22 PM
Tiger Moth antics - flying inverted w/video SnoJetter Parkflyers 49 Sep 16, 2003 07:25 PM
Help! Getting addicted to Park Flying fly4fun Parkflyers 11 Feb 16, 2002 10:58 AM
You know when your addicted to Slow Flying when..... Gman Parkflyers 51 Aug 05, 2001 03:19 AM