HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:27 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,163 Posts
I picked up a nano cpx yesterday. The dude at my LHS knows i'm a plane guy so when i said i want the nano he said he could give me $20 off. Had to take it. Flew nine batteries through it this morning and i'm having a blast! I've never flown a CP heli but it's really fun and the durability of the nano is awesome.

I don't think i'd pick the heli over my 3D planes but for flying in the house or backyard the nano is super fun!
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:55 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireyFate View Post
For you guys that use telemetry, what voltage per cell do you set your alarm to?

I just put a TM1000 in my 74” Edge… I can usually fly for about 5:30 and end up with my packs at about 3.7V, which is nice so I don’t have to worry so much about storage. I don’t know how much sag under load is common though… I was thinking maybe 20.4V (3.5V per cell) would be a good alarm number to land with 3.7 per cell.
You are going to have to play with it a bit but I think you are going to want it closer to 3.0-3.2 v/cell. If you leave it at 3.5 you are going to listen to a lot of low voltage alarm bells well before you need to stop flying. You will just have to kind of get an idea on how far your voltage sags. Of course my experience comes from 4s 2200 packs and the like so your larger batteries may not sag as much under load.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:02 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
I picked up a nano cpx yesterday. The dude at my LHS knows i'm a plane guy so when i said i want the nano he said he could give me $20 off. Had to take it. Flew nine batteries through it this morning and i'm having a blast! I've never flown a CP heli but it's really fun and the durability of the nano is awesome.

I don't think i'd pick the heli over my 3D planes but for flying in the house or backyard the nano is super fun!
Yea - I enjoy the nano as well. One suggestion I have for indoor flying which may seem counterintuitive is to drop the expo to something very low - like 0 or 5. I felt like it was really twitchy for indoor flying (and it is) but it was because I was chasing the heli around. The recommended expo settings made it too numb around center for me and once I eliminated my expo I found that I had WAY better control indoors.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:03 PM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by obrieri View Post
I have tried that but there always seems to be jerks that will try to be funny and park right next to you with a crappy car and of course give a door ding for good measure.
What is that about. I had my 06 4runner about 2 months went into homer de pot and I parked 20 spaces away from everyone. I came out and this BIG A$$ ford truck had parked so close to the drivers door that twiggy couldn't have gotten in there. I stood there for half an hour waiting to say something to the jerk but he didn't come out so I left. I really wanted to do something more but I resisted the temptation. There were no marks on my car at all or I would likely not have resisted.
Liberty10 is online now Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:29 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Yea - I enjoy the nano as well. One suggestion I have for indoor flying which may seem counterintuitive is to drop the expo to something very low - like 0 or 5. I felt like it was really twitchy for indoor flying (and it is) but it was because I was chasing the heli around. The recommended expo settings made it too numb around center for me and once I eliminated my expo I found that I had WAY better control indoors.
Thanks i'll give it a shot. I already broke the canopy and landing skid but i ordered replacements and taped/glued what i have for now. It's always fun to try something a little different.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:01 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty10 View Post
What is that about. I had my 06 4runner about 2 months went into homer de pot and I parked 20 spaces away from everyone. I came out and this BIG A$$ ford truck had parked so close to the drivers door that twiggy couldn't have gotten in there. I stood there for half an hour waiting to say something to the jerk but he didn't come out so I left. I really wanted to do something more but I resisted the temptation. There were no marks on my car at all or I would likely not have resisted.
The jerks wont learn unless you leave a lasting reminder of why they shouldn't of parked so close to someone.

A postit note saying I just keyed your vehicle is really funny. They will stand there for a long time looking for paint damage. Almost has the same effect, but you won't get arrested for leaving a postit note.
jsmith285 is online now Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:05 PM
Stick banger
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Quote:
For you guys that use telemetry, what voltage per cell do you set your alarm to?

I just put a TM1000 in my 74” Edge… I can usually fly for about 5:30 and end up with my packs at about 3.7V, which is nice so I don’t have to worry so much about storage. I don’t know how much sag under load is common though… I was thinking maybe 20.4V (3.5V per cell) would be a good alarm number to land with 3.7 per cell.
On my 3s FPV plane, I don't think I've ever seen the voltage drop below 10.3 under full throttle (48A), which is 3.43 per cell. It keeps track of mAh used, so I land based upon that, but 3.5 sounds like a good starting value. Depending on how paranoid/anal you are, maybe start at 3.53 and keep lowering it each flight until you hone in on 3.7 resting.
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:17 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace4 View Post
On my 3s FPV plane, I don't think I've ever seen the voltage drop below 10.3 under full throttle (48A), which is 3.43 per cell. It keeps track of mAh used, so I land based upon that, but 3.5 sounds like a good starting value. Depending on how paranoid/anal you are, maybe start at 3.53 and keep lowering it each flight until you hone in on 3.7 resting.
Whatever you decide you want to set the alarm at, keep in mind that these things are not precision calibrated instruments. You might want to use a good volt meter to see what the voltage really is for a given telemetry reading so you know how far off it is in which direction. That way you can adjust what you'd like the alarm to really be at based on what you know the error is.
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:35 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
Whatever you decide you want to set the alarm at, keep in mind that these things are not precision calibrated instruments. You might want to use a good volt meter to see what the voltage really is for a given telemetry reading so you know how far off it is in which direction. That way you can adjust what you'd like the alarm to really be at based on what you know the error is.
I'll be sure to see what the actual resting voltage is and how many mAh I'm putting back in the battery with my charger... I'd imagine once I get the telemetry alarm where I want it will be pretty consistent after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace4 View Post
Cool that sounds right about where I'll be then. Thanks.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:43 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
2,990 Posts
Quote:

I set my 6s packs at 19.5v on my tm1000. The batteries sag under full throttle and you set the alarm close to 3.7v per cell, it'll beep almost every time you use a lot of throttle near the end of the flight.
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 72" Extra flight
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:54 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Well, my day took an interesting turn today when I went to the grocery store to find some lunch. I came out with a sandwich, a drink, and a bag of chips. I had to do some reading for my next class so I just sat in the parking lot eating my lunch and starting on the book. After about 10 minutes I feel my car shake and hear a scratch. I turn my head and this lady in a white chevy has made contact with my car trying to pull out of her parking stall. I think she was adjusting her position in the parking stall because she had initially parked too close to me to get out of her vehicle. Anyway, I look up at her and can see in her eyes that she knows she has hit my car and doesn't know what to do. The best thing to do would be to keep the wheel in the same position and move back forward to pull away from the car. She didn't do that. She was like a wrecking crew lol. She just kept reversing. Before she was done I was left with a huge scrape down the side of my car from the middle of the rear passenger door to where the back bumper USED to be. Her metal bumper got under my plastic one and ripped about a quarter of it off to where it was about even with the rear tail light.

I got out of the car and walked around. She had her window rolled down but we were both pretty speechless. Finally I said, "Wow!" Now that the ice was broken she apologized and gave me her insurance info. I called her agent and am waiting for their claims people to contact me.

Anyway, that was pretty crazy. I couldn't believe she kept reversing all along the side of the car. If she would have just pulled forward I'd have had a small scratch and would have blown it off. I think she just kind of panicked and did the worst possible thing. The "accident" took about 7 or 8 seconds to happen

reminds me of this incident:

Reckless Tow Truck New York workers pull plower into a car Truck Ford Explorer NY in snow blizzard (4 min 2 sec)
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:00 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
I set my 6s packs at 19.5v on my tm1000. The batteries sag under full throttle and you set the alarm close to 3.7v per cell, it'll beep almost every time you use a lot of throttle near the end of the flight.
Hmmm... I hear ya. I think maybe I'll leave the alarm off, fly it on the timer like I normally do, then see what the minimum recorded voltage was. I've never played with telemetry before, and I was sort of hoping to replace my timer with it. I'm starting to think that may not work out.

Normally I wouldn't overthink it this much, but what else am I supposed to be doing at work!?!
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:11 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,404 Posts
Are any of you not getting your email notifications from rc groups. I haven't gotten any in 2 days
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:14 PM
brandon,fl
Joined Dec 2010
102 Posts
3dhs fly up on rf 6.5
hunhunter is offline Find More Posts by hunhunter
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:18 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
2,990 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm... I hear ya. I think maybe I'll leave the alarm off, fly it on the timer like I normally do, then see what the minimum recorded voltage was. I've never played with telemetry before, and I was sort of hoping to replace my timer with it. I'm starting to think that may not work out.

Normally I wouldn't overthink it this much, but what else am I supposed to be doing at work!?!
I like it. I still have my timer there, but sometimes I fly over my timer now because my telemetry is there.
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 72" Extra flight