Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:17 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,590 Posts
Hey guys need a little help on gas engine stuff-newbie at this. (Although I am fairly fluid with gas engines, weedwhippers, lawnmowers, lots of nitro engine experience)
For the choke lever, do you typically reach in and flip it...have a separate pushrod sticking out of the cowling? Seems like its a ways back to reach in and flip.
And the OS 33 can take unregulated 2s LiPo right?
For the kill switch, I got an electronic one, but should I set up the linkage to kill it with a throttle cut? What is the general linkage set up?
How do you guys typically break them in? I have a break in prop-Xoar 18x8

I am putting a smoke system on too....on the stock Os muffler. I bought a brass nipple, where would be the best place to put the inlet? I will wrap the hi temp tubing around the muffler to heat the oil.....i have that anti siphon thing, and filter...etc. Sullivan sky writer.

Also what is YOUR starting procedure?

Thanks guys...
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:29 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhoke08 View Post
While I love red, and would normally agree with you....On the Slicks, I think Orange flies better!! (but don't tell my red 59" Slick I said that)

SteveT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhoke08 View Post
Trader
Well... I have been know to trade a few things.....but if you meant "traitor"......no...

The only reason I bought my red 59" is because they didn't have an orange one in stock.... And if anybody local wanted to buy my red airframe, I would sell it to buy an orange one....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:42 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,433 Posts
Wait wait. Steve you need to give red a chance. Fly red a little more and then you will see that it flys better
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:43 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
Hey guys need a little help on gas engine stuff-newbie at this. (Although I am fairly fluid with gas engines, weedwhippers, lawnmowers, lots of nitro engine experience)
For the choke lever, do you typically reach in and flip it...have a separate pushrod sticking out of the cowling? Seems like its a ways back to reach in and flip.
For the kill switch, I got an electronic one, but should I set up the linkage to kill it with a throttle cut? What is the general linkage set up?

I am putting a smoke system on too....on the stock Os muffler. I bought a brass nipple, where would be the best place to put the inlet? I will wrap the hi temp tubing around the muffler to heat the oil.....i have that anti siphon thing, and filter...etc. Sullivan sky writer.

Thanks guys...
Tip #1, take the stock throttle and choke horns off and throw them as far as you can. They (the choke arm especially) slip on the mechanisms that activate the throttle and choke. I figured that out real quick.

Take a look on "that other site" at my 72 Extra build thread. There's pics on there of how I ran the rod for the choke.

The GT33 ignition isn't spec'd for straight 2s lipo voltage, I'd go with a 2s LiFe.

Mine likes to start at about 3/8 throttle, and keep a hand near the kill switch on your radio, it will most definitely run backward. It usually just sputters and dies, but just in case, be ready to kill it. Choke on, flip til it burps, turn choke off, then one or two flips and it'll fire up.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:10 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,590 Posts
Alright thanks!
If anyone could answer the other questions that would be great!
What arms should i use then?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:10 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Wait wait. Steve you need to give red a chance. Fly red a little more and then you will see that it flys better
I have been flying the red.....it pretty much goes with me every time I go to the field.... I know 100 flights is not much compared to you or many others on here....but it has about that many flights on it, and yes, it flies great!! I just think the orange is easier (for me) to see...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:23 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,433 Posts
One thing that scares me about getting older is my vision going. I was blessed with twenty ten vision up until resently. I still have excellent vision at twenty fifteen/ twenty twenty depending on the day. I quickly noticed the difference when my vision changed. I curse the day when l will need the glasses.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:37 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,576 Posts
Quote:
Alright thanks!
If anyone could answer the other questions that would be great!
What arms should i use then?
Get some aluminum arms that have a clamp/bolt around the horn. Spot-on, SWB, and Aztech Aeromodel makes their own brand. Make sure and Loctite or smear some RTV over the bolts, as they're subject to a LOT of vibration.

Break- in is just a matter of getting it tuned decent, then flying it. The manual says to avoid long high-throttle runs for the first few gallons. 18x8 is the recommended prop.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:55 PM
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Feb 2011
1,045 Posts
Off topic switch! Can anyone identify this plane for my pops? He got it on consignment at the local hobby shop. It is very light! The aileron control surfaces are solid drilled balsa and the whole plane is covered with some sort of clear covering. It had wire landing gear before he added the carbon fiber. Sorry about the pics. I forgot my camera and these were taken with my buddies phone. My dad just called me and asked if I had` posted this yet. I told him you guys would know right away. He is a 70 year old kid! I wish he was more computer savvy as he does a lot of very cool stuff. Today he showed up with his second Reactor Bipe, The first died an unexplained spiraling death. Too tough to fix it because the wings are glued on. This one he made with removable wings. Stuff I would not even dream of doing he makes happen. He's my wife's dad and he introduced me to this hobby 2 years ago. I am forever indebted!
Mr Big Head is offline Find More Posts by Mr Big Head
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:24 PM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
51 slick added to the hanger...
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:30 PM
Righteous 87
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jun 2009
1,654 Posts
Hyper Bype added to mine
Randidly is offline Find More Posts by Randidly
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:37 PM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalpain View Post
51 slick added to the hanger...
You made the right choice!
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:39 PM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
Quote:

Thanks guys...

if you have an optical kill switch i wouldnt worry about a throttle kill too.

on the OS there is a guide built into the engine case where you can run a choke rod up to the front of the cowl... i just use a piece of pushrod with a clevis and then turn a little 90 degree bend on the end so i can hook it easily thru the cowl opening.

if you have not started the engine yet i would start out with both needles about 1.5 turns out.

my starting procedure is push choke on, flip the prop until it pops ( usually three flips) choke off and add 25% throttle ... three more flips and the engine is running. If i dont add enough throttle the engine will sometimes start backwards..... its no big deal and the engine will usually start in the right direction the next flip..... there is really little difference between 6 flips and 7 flips Since this engine has so much compression my best advice is to flip the prop like you mean it.

make sure you never have either needle less than one full turn out (its possible to do... but dont) and the tuning is going to change for about the first gallon of fuel so be prepared to tweak the needles as it breaks in..... sometimes even from one flight to the next.

I broke mine in with a Xoar 20x6 but currently am really digging the protek RC 19x8..... it really gives the engine electric motor throttle response. (if you have a fast throttle servo )

Have fun.. you're gonna love this engine!
racerman27410 is offline Find More Posts by racerman27410
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:51 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
Get some aluminum arms that have a clamp/bolt around the horn. Spot-on, SWB, and Aztech Aeromodel makes their own brand. Make sure and Loctite or smear some RTV over the bolts, as they're subject to a LOT of vibration.

Break- in is just a matter of getting it tuned decent, then flying it. The manual says to avoid long high-throttle runs for the first few gallons. 18x8 is the recommended prop.
Just ordred two from Aztec.
Thanks!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:51 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,009 Posts
So you got a 30cc plane?
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97