to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:41 AM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
Agree- think of how many man hours it takes to assemble and cover an arf... The price of a $150 arf would probably jump to $500!
I guess that would have been my question - it would be more expensive, sure, but how much more? Twice? Three times? Would those who have been waiting for a Slick pay extra to have a US produced one? The unfortunate alternative is they may turn to Chinese copies, which will hurt everyone (except the ones doing the copying)

Good discussion. These things have crossed my mind and it's nice to read and talk through them.
Bigster is online now Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:44 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,021 Posts
Any company that tried it would be out of business as soon as they ran out of investment capital and they would be foolish to risk their money that way. One of the first things to identify when coming up with business strategy is the situation you want to compete in and then figure out how to match and build capabilities to suit. Trying to build an arf plant here would just be kicking against the pricks.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:25 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teookie View Post
I'm sure startup costs would be significant, but would it really be unsustainable to run an ARF factory in the USA?
Yes... Ben explained the whole ARF factory situation in detail about a hear ago... Between the lack of resources needed, and the lack of skilled labor needed, it would be next to impossible in the U.S. And...the price would be astronomical due to all the stuff that would have to be brought in...

And yes, as was stated, most of the ARF's are built in one city (IIRC) due to the fact that you have to have so many things available...

balsa
boxes
hardware
covering
transportation
laser cutting companies to cut the parts
people that know how to build planes (probably only one section of a plane)
people that know how to do covering (probably only one section of a plane)
people to make the fiberglass parts
people to paint the fiberglass parts
people to pack the planes
people that are willing to do what quite truthfully must be a "mind numbing" job, day in and day out, and for a lot less than "we" would do it....
possibly fewer EPA restrictions (I.E. none) on the materials used for the production of the fiberglass parts.

etc..etc..etc..

I'm sure it would take a while, but if you went to Ben's blog, and scanned back through his threads, I'm sure you could find it.

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Dec 11, 2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:42 PM
Fly Low-Crash-Rebuild-Repeat !
Jackson, MO
Joined May 2009
3,231 Posts
Not to mention how unskilled and lazy the american work force is becoming.

Most people here want to do little or nothing and get paid 50 bux an hour to do it. Or they just won't work!

When I was a deputy 20+ years ago, I used to ask people why they did what they did ie. sell drugs, steal, rob, burglarize peoples homes etc. and the answer I got more than any other was "I'm not working for minimum wage!" (although they possessed absolutely NO marketable skills). And that mentality has only gotten worse since then.

This concept sounds absolutely alien to those of us who educate ourselves, work hard and try to build a future for our families and help out a few others along the way. But, most unskilled individuals now-a-days feel like they absolutely deserve to get a paycheck and not have to work for it. In fact there is an entire subculture out there that is now several generations deep who train their children to where all the loopholes are and how to squeeze the most out of the aid and entitlement systems.

I know this for a fact, because I come from a very poor background and I've seen it up close!

Wow, I just looked down to find myself standing on a soapbox!

Sorry...
RotorJockey is offline Find More Posts by RotorJockey
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:04 PM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,473 Posts
2 days, 3 finals .... Lets do it.

Then I get a month off for flying.
wamsy55 is online now Find More Posts by wamsy55
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:20 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,868 Posts
Slacker!!!
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:57 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,687 Posts
Genuinely disappointing.

But I did learn something. Well, a couple things, actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kick_against_the_pricks
Bigster is online now Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:05 PM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
Just a couple thoughts going through my head:

How much are the labour rates in China? I would like some hard numbers, not just assertions that its "pennies on the dollar" compared to US labour rates. Where does one look this stuff up?

One of my Dad's friends in Oregon owns a clothing manufacturing business. Last I heard, he's still in business. How, I do not know. He does sewing for Nike, Columbia, and some others.

I bought a 100cc plane from Pilot. It was not in stock so I had to wait for them to build it before it shipped. Took less than a week. That tells me these planes go together fairly quickly.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:11 PM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorJockey View Post
Not to mention how unskilled and lazy the american work force is becoming.

Most people here want to do little or nothing and get paid 50 bux an hour to do it. Or they just won't work!

When I was a deputy 20+ years ago, I used to ask people why they did what they did ie. sell drugs, steal, rob, burglarize peoples homes etc. and the answer I got more than any other was "I'm not working for minimum wage!" (although they possessed absolutely NO marketable skills). And that mentality has only gotten worse since then.

This concept sounds absolutely alien to those of us who educate ourselves, work hard and try to build a future for our families and help out a few others along the way. But, most unskilled individuals now-a-days feel like they absolutely deserve to get a paycheck and not have to work for it. In fact there is an entire subculture out there that is now several generations deep who train their children to where all the loopholes are and how to squeeze the most out of the aid and entitlement systems.

I know this for a fact, because I come from a very poor background and I've seen it up close!

Wow, I just looked down to find myself standing on a soapbox!

Sorry...
Dire Straits said it in a song: " Money for nothing...."
Da Big_G is online now Find More Posts by Da Big_G
Last edited by Da Big_G; Dec 11, 2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:36 PM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
4,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by da big_g View Post
and they all voted for obummer so it can stay this way. Dire straits said it in a song: " money for nothing...."
ssdd
Liberty10 is online now Find More Posts by Liberty10
Last edited by Liberty10; Dec 11, 2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:53 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
rule #1: have fun.
rule #2: try and help others have fun.
the party foul: not having fun and posting in a way that causes others to not have fun also.
I'm calling party foul on this political talk. It would feel more at home in a circle flying FOG thread.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:14 PM
Yin & Yang
Joined Jul 2011
4,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireyFate View Post
I'm calling party foul on this political talk. It would feel more at home in a circle flying FOG thread.
Agreed will edit out
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:42 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireyFate View Post
Thank you!!!

There is a forum for that.... Life, the universe and politics... There are two things that can at the very least make people uncomfortable in a forum and that is the discussion of politics or religion.....so, please leave political comments to those threads.....Remember, just because you don't like someone or something, doesn't mean others don't.

And...I am not telling anybody what to do...just making a simple request...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Dec 11, 2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:44 PM
Yin & Yang
Joined Jul 2011
4,020 Posts
What up SteveT
No Credit at all.... LOL