HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:32 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
I just ordered a GT33 from Tower. I had planned on a Mintor 33, but I found a code for $50 off, so it ended up being about the same price. Yippee!
I decided if I go 30CC, I'm going GT33. Or, I may save up way more and go 50CC with an 87"or 89".
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:35 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
O.S. GT33 Gasoline Engine - Low Idle Demonstration (1 min 11 sec)
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:17 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
Yup. Although the way I read it, it isn't so much a rebate as it is an OS gift certificate...
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:17 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
meh free money is free money...
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:45 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
Who here has their Pilot's Liscense?
I'm looking into it.... need to be 17 to get the liscense but you can train anytime.
REALLLLY EXPENSIVE
Rental is what kills......$150/hr

Getting it is expensive, keeping it current is expensive, and really, what the heck do you do with the license once you have it? At 150+ bucks an hour to rent a plane plus all the other fees, it's incredibly expensive to just decide to rent a plane for an afternoon and go tooling around. You could always buy your own plane for 50-100k, and then deal with storage fees, maintenance costs, etc.
I have about 60 hours and was just about to test and get my license and then for a variety of reasons I didn't quite finish. (long story)
Have always thought about going back and finishing it, but once I started to really add up the costs... I can't afford to actually go fly on a regular basis, so I never have bothered to finish it off and get my license.
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:01 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
Getting it is expensive, keeping it current is expensive, and really, what the heck do you do with the license once you have it? At 150+ bucks an hour to rent a plane plus all the other fees, it's incredibly expensive to just decide to rent a plane for an afternoon and go tooling around. You could always buy your own plane for 50-100k, and then deal with storage fees, maintenance costs, etc.
I have about 60 hours and was just about to test and get my license and then for a variety of reasons I didn't quite finish. (long story)
Have always thought about going back and finishing it, but once I started to really add up the costs... I can't afford to actually go fly on a regular basis, so I never have bothered to finish it off and get my license.
I'm right there with you. I'd love to have my license but then what?? It's just not approachable if you just want to be a weekend pilot.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:03 AM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Quote:
It's just not a good career path these days. Pay is so bad to start, and th airline industry is so unpredictable now. My dad is a 63 year old 777 captain who lost his pension after 9-11... He'll tell you to RUN AWAY!!!
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:29 AM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
I've given up on ever getting a pilots certificate. Its already too expensive and gets more expensive every year. RC for me all the way!
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:44 AM
Team 3DHS
Western CT
Joined Aug 2009
2,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285 View Post
I agree, crash pictures are more fun.
Just for the record, that was the carnage from Dad's crash. Lol, don't worry, I'll admit that I did one of my own that weekend (damn kiddie pool taunting me). Lol (although mine was/is repairable)
CrashesALot is offline Find More Posts by CrashesALot
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:44 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,158 Posts
Quote:
I stopped at 8 hours, mainly because I was 14 and had to wait 2 years to solo. At that time a 150 was 15.50 and hour and instructor was about 10. 40 hours total to get the license but I think these days there is another license that only takes 20-25 hours.

COOP ownership still the cheapest way to go, then get enough hours to get your instructors license. Your hours pile up and the plane get paid for while you get to fly and teach.

But it's always been mostly a rich mans hobby(IMO).
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:28 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
I decided if I go 30CC, I'm going GT33. Or, I may save up way more and go 50CC with an 87"or 89".
Do it!
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:34 AM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Bivens, Diggity showed me the picture of the 70 being rescued... That plane has character, history, and 9 lives! If it makes it through the winter, it will be retired and the 71 that noll traded me in Knoxville will make an appearance! The 70 will rest in my theater on a large wall of Chicago sports memorabilia, right next to a framed walter payton and derrick rose jersey! That's valuable wall space, the wife is not happy!
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:27 AM
E TN
Joined Jan 2003
241 Posts
The sport pilot lisence is the one that takes less hrs, it also does not require a medical, as long as drivers lisc is valid. And there are light sport aircraft available. Don't think you can fly in class c airspace with it thou
Komet ME163 is offline Find More Posts by Komet ME163
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:09 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashesALot View Post
Just for the record, that was the carnage from Dad's crash. Lol, don't worry, I'll admit that I did one of my own that weekend (damn kiddie pool taunting me). Lol (although mine was/is repairable)
Since you /your wife makes the best brownies in world, I won't post all the other crash pictures I have of you. LOL

BTW Becky made some of your brownies. Lets just say, I hope you continue bringing yours to shows I attend.
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:22 AM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Lol. I keep hearing about brownies in this thread. Guess I need to travel a bit next year to fly.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien