Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:07 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
ROTFLMAO!!!!!

But yes, all true statements.....And I hope you didn't find these out in too hard of a way....

SteveT
The cut from the stainless was clean so it healed quickly.

I had an endmill bit in there today and it caught the sleeve of my shirt. I was able to pull my arm out of my shirt but it hit my hand. Hurt like hell but only knocked the skin off in a few places. Ruined my shirt. Overloaded the motor and it shut itself down which was cool.
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:19 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinma1 View Post
Trying to replace the motor on my 72SC and the backplate won't slide off the shaft. Any suggestions ?

Replacing the hacker with the motrofly.
Are you trying to take the x-mount / back plate off the motrolfly? Its part of the beating plate assembly if im not mistaken. Why do you want it off?
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:20 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
Crap, beaRing plate not beating plate hahahah. Fat fingers
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:48 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post
Lessons learned while working with a lathe

1) don't operate a lathe without a shirt
2) dont operate a lathe while wearing a loose fitting long sleeve shirt
3) don't yank on stainless steel ribbons expecting them to break like aluminum

Justification
1) metal ribbons instantly become one with chest hair. This is especially bad if the other end is still attached to the spinning stock
2) shirt sleeves will grab the spinning part and will attempt to rip your arm off
3) your skin on your hand will give before the sharp stainless steel ribbon will

That is all......for now
Yeowie, I know what you're talking about, seen all that and more at the bummer plant. If you're using HSS for a cutting tool, here's a link to how to grind a "chip breaker" that will break up the ribbon as it comes off the tool.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...reaker-219269/

Never wear long sleeves or gloves while using a lathe.

BTW, nice job on the threads.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:37 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
if it's an extreme flight spinner backplate like mine, have fun...

I had to use a super thin stainless steel kitchen spatula and slide it under in sort of a spiral pattern. took about 20 min to get off last time. thanks for reminding me to order a new spinner.
Exactly buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
Are you trying to take the x-mount / back plate off the motrolfly? Its part of the beating plate assembly if im not mistaken. Why do you want it off?
As IRG mentioned the backplate for the EF spinner. I haven't even gotten that far yet to mount the motrofly
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:10 PM
AKA Boomhauer
Arkansas
Joined May 2008
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Yeowie, I know what you're talking about, seen all that and more at the bummer plant. If you're using HSS for a cutting tool, here's a link to how to grind a "chip breaker" that will break up the ribbon as it comes off the tool.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...reaker-219269/

Never wear long sleeves or gloves while using a lathe.

BTW, nice job on the threads.

Chuck
Definitely no gloves I have some pretty gruesome pics of my brothers hand from a lathe and gloves. He now has a thumb and a pinky only on his right hand.
Lomchevac is offline Find More Posts by Lomchevac
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:48 AM
Professional Toothpick maker
USA, NY, New Hampton
Joined Jan 2005
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomchevac View Post
Definitely no gloves I have some pretty gruesome pics of my brothers hand from a lathe and gloves. He now has a thumb and a pinky only on his right hand.
If you do a google search for " lathe Death " you can see some really bad pics. I didn't post them because they are that gorry
nalby is offline Find More Posts by nalby
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:48 AM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post
The cut from the stainless was clean so it healed quickly.

I had an endmill bit in there today and it caught the sleeve of my shirt. I was able to pull my arm out of my shirt but it hit my hand. Hurt like hell but only knocked the skin off in a few places. Ruined my shirt. Overloaded the motor and it shut itself down which was cool.
Holey Crap! Be careful Craig!
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:58 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Finally got to fly the 57 SC and the 46 Yak for a couple. Came out of church after noon and instead of 7-12mph it was 15-20!

Got up to 70 and partly sunny, took a nice long nap and went to fly at 4:30. Totally calm by then!

That 57 just gets better and better every time I take it out! Only thing it is lacking is Digi Servos. Would like a tighter response.

Was just getting ready to fly the Nano indoors, in the living room and the wife just pulled in the driveway....... Now instead of 6 flights, I'll only be able to get two in while she is in the shower.
I completely agree. I thought maybe my 57 SC might start getting a little boring to me after getting my 70" Slick but nope!! That and my 51" Slick are still right up there as my favorites. I've been taking all three out with me every time I fly and it's just impossible not to have fun with that lineup.

In fact I'd be hard pressed to pick a single favorite among those three. I think they are my favorite collectively. The 70" Slick feels like I'm doing 3D in slow motion but it can be plenty fast and violent if I want it to be. The 57" SC is a precise speed demon that can be SOOOO floaty that it makes low slow rollers an absolute dream. And the 51" Slick is just one of those planes that I like thrash with almost reckless abandon. It's just a wild plane.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:18 AM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakevan View Post
Gave up on the Miata but found this pretty thing.
Nice! I'm looking at 1st gen mustangs to restore. Wanting to do a look like this
Park_aviator is online now Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:31 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by park_aviator View Post
nice! I'm looking at 1st gen mustangs to restore. Wanting to do a look like this
sweeeeet!!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:36 AM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
sweeeeet!!
Mach 1 I'm planning out costs right now. Not sure budget is enough yet though
Park_aviator is online now Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:53 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,158 Posts
hmm, that one looks like a 68-70 if that is a 428 or 429. I'm not a mustang guy but is your budget $30,000+? For us old guys insurance isn't that bad rating it as a weekend/show driver. But being 16?

neat car though.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:05 AM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
if it's an extreme flight spinner backplate like mine, have fun...

I had to use a super thin stainless steel kitchen spatula and slide it under in sort of a spiral pattern. took about 20 min to get off last time. thanks for reminding me to order a new spinner.
Buddy... Went the spatula route and it took me about 30 minutes. Wife will probably be pissed now since the spatula is deformed.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:58 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
That's a 69 Mach 1. I used to have a 70 right out of high school. Was red and fast!

Didn't take care of it though being young and stupid. Ended up trading it in for a car that would actually get me to work. I regret the day I got rid of it though. Learned how to work on cars pretty good with that one.

My brother emailed me about 10 years after I got rid of it and told me to check out this auction on ebay. As soon as I looked at the engine I knew it was my exact same one. Also the comment about cigarette burns in the back seat sealed the deal. He was asking $8k would have bought it if I had that money even though I traded it in for......$500.......

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
Nice! I'm looking at 1st gen mustangs to restore. Wanting to do a look like this
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting