Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 01, 2012, 06:12 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
2,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
I got new glasses a while back, and they are giving me fits, even thought the optometrist says they are correct...I am especially having problems driving at night, but, it is also effecting my flying. The Doctor has suggested that I get some polarized glasses (even though these are Transition lenses), as this will cut down on the glare... I do have cataracts, which is part of the problem, as they cause blurriness and make things ten to glare, but they are not bad enough yet, that the insurance will pay to have them removed.

So..I am curious what you guys have to say about using polarized glasses, as I have heard a few negative comments....

What say ye??

SteveT
I wear polarized sunglasses when I fly. Me and my dad like them better than regular sunglasses.
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 72" Extra flight
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 06:17 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,313 Posts
just got an email from my club president addressed to the entire club, kinda got a chuckle out of this one....it exactly why i go an fly after work when nobody is there and i fly rogue fields on the weekends

5. doing stunts over the runway, i.e., loops, rolls, spiral dives, figure 8s. all stunts will be done to the north side of the runway. outside the flight pattern.
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Nov 01, 2012, 06:19 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,000 Posts
Quote:
So..I am curious what you guys have to say about using polarized glasses, as I have heard a few negative comments....
Polarized sunglasses make a huge difference driving, and they work pretty well for flying too. I would imagine that polarized regular (i.e. not sun) glasses might help with reflections driving at night in the rain, but I don't really know. I can't imagine they'd help much in good weather at night, and it seems like they'd cut down the available light just a tad.
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Nov 01, 2012, 06:24 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
Why does it matter doing 'stunts' over the runway? I dont get FOG's at all man. I was flying the other day....no pattern at all and a newbie walks up and asks me what pattern direction to fly...dude I dont know just fly the damn thing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
just got an email from my club president addressed to the entire club, kinda got a chuckle out of this one....it exactly why i go an fly after work when nobody is there and i fly rogue fields on the weekends

5. doing stunts over the runway, i.e., loops, rolls, spiral dives, figure 8s. all stunts will be done to the north side of the runway. outside the flight pattern.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Nov 01, 2012, 06:27 PM
Stick banger
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Quote:
I got new glasses a while back, and they are giving me fits, even thought the optometrist says they are correct...I am especially having problems driving at night, but, it is also effecting my flying. The Doctor has suggested that I get some polarized glasses (even though these are Transition lenses), as this will cut down on the glare... I do have cataracts, which is part of the problem, as they cause blurriness and make things ten to glare, but they are not bad enough yet, that the insurance will pay to have them removed.

What say ye??

SteveT
I can't imagine ever using non-polarized sunglasses anymore. No idea about polarized regular glasses, though.

Maybe you should check with a different optometrist, if new glasses are giving you trouble it would seem to me that there may be something wrong with them (focal point not centered, etc).
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
Old Nov 01, 2012, 06:32 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
Why does it matter doing 'stunts' over the runway? I dont get FOG's at all man. I was flying the other day....no pattern at all and a newbie walks up and asks me what pattern direction to fly...dude I dont know just fly the damn thing!!!
i was thinking about saying something but its really not worth my trouble as i am very rarely there when the old guys are. My feeling is as long as i am not interfering with anybody else i honestly dont see the problem.
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,799 Posts
Quote:

What say ye??

SteveT
I went Non-Polarized Wiley-X Prescription Sunglasses from Optics Planet after reading things like this.... Polarized can cause issues reading LCD Displays and other things like missing visual cues off of RC Planes.

http://extremeglaresunglasses.com/home.php

I already have Transitions, they give me issues flying especially since I have the invisible lines lenses, three fields in a lens. I had my Wiley-X's set to a prescription from a special eye doc visit so that the lenses are set to like 3-5ft - out to Infinity. Totally made for flying and driving. (Distance) Works well. Plus they are MIL Impact standards, good around props and other flying things.....
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,115 Posts
Quote:

I wish there was a place to fly rogue around here....San Jose, is in a valley (nicknamed Silicon Valley), and it is getting pretty full..and one problem with our field is that it is at the lower end of the valley, and...where most places the wind dies in the evening, it often times is higher in the evening than any other time...
And...it's illegal to fly in 99% of the parks around here...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Nov 01, 2012, 06:36 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
Our field is a little opposite of the hard core dont do this crowd.

I got there one day and two guys are flying circles over the covered patio...

Hey if they dont hit me or my car and dont tell me what to do have at it.

Quote:
i was thinking about saying something but its really not worth my trouble as i am very rarely there when the old guys are. My feeling is as long as i am not interfering with anybody else i honestly dont see the problem.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Nov 01, 2012, 06:40 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,373 Posts
I always guy polarized glasses....for years I bought cheap polarized sunglasses at wa mart....last year I got some prescription sunglasses....mostly for flying. My wife had some flex spending money left over that we would lose, su I went for it. I love the nice glasses....I don't wear a prescription anywhere else, but a light prescription helped my distance focus....one eye is 20/20 and the other 20/15. I've enjoyed these sunglasses all year now. Polarized for sure for me.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2012, 06:44 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,799 Posts
Note: Polarized would be good though IF you are getting a BigFoot on Floats.....
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Nov 01, 2012, 06:48 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,115 Posts
Not floats....but I hope they get plenty Bigfeet in, as I intend to order two the moment I see they are available!!

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2012, 06:58 PM
I AM Smiling
Joined Dec 2007
372 Posts
[

What say ye??

SteveT[/QUOTE]

I did a study of sun glasses years ago and the result was that polorized were as good or better than anything else - even the cheap ones. I have transitions also, but always use polorized sun glasses.
DeadStick Dave is offline Find More Posts by DeadStick Dave
Old Nov 01, 2012, 07:03 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,115 Posts
Hotay....well...I can get a set of polarized prescription glasses for $99.00 (second pair deal etc..), so, might go for it....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2012, 07:06 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,462 Posts
As mentioned above, polarized glasses will make LCD screens hard to see, and can produce a prism on certain colors/surfaces. But for the most part, I like them better. I use them when bow fishing, as it knocks the glare off of the surface of the water.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer