to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:45 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
4,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
I reckon my ISP is staffed with FOGs....
I play COD online, and never have an issue. RF6 just doesn't bode well for some reason. Le Sigh.
I was just working on my circle flying anyway
3Dplank is offline Find More Posts by 3Dplank
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:15 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
Techies....
I have a question for you.
I am planning on making a night flyer out of my slick, but am NOT gonna pay $120 for the Andromeda kit.

I have 8 10watt 140 degree LEDS that I can get for 30 bucks.
I need a driver now. Somthing about 100 watts? (technically 80?)
So would this work: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-5-32V-...item231f279c0d
Or would this be fine: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10W-high-Pow...item3ccb592ecf
Or should I get 8 of the small ones?

The LEDS Im gettting are: http://www.ebay.com/itm/380491266498

to drive LEDs properly takes current regulators... you can set a voltage, but the LED will vary the current. if you look at the spec for a high power LED, it will show you a graph of the light output in lumens against the current... for consistent driving of the light output, the driver sets the current and then manages the voltage to do whatever the voltage needs to do to maintain the current. the heat of the LED and such can vary the current it's drawing, etc etc.

Turns out just tonight I got up to the "emitting light" part of a high power LED project

Here's the driver that I used (three of them)... http://www.ebay.com/itm/150801743867...84.m1497.l2649

...by connecting a multimeter without the LEDs and powering them up, tweaking the pots lets you set the max voltage and the desired current for driving the LEDs. the chinglish on that page is horrible, but I managed to guess right and can write a better manual if needed.

These drivers aren't the most efficient, the current draw for my 9 LED's is 6.5 amps for what should be just 100watts at the emitters... more efficient drivers are more expensive naturally.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:47 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,537 Posts
Thank you Arron!!!! I will get that driver!!
I appreciate the explanation, it all makes sense now!!!
Ty,
Alex
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:02 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
Thank you Arron!!!! I will get that driver!!
I appreciate the explanation, it all makes sense now!!!
Ty,
Alex
...sending PM
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:08 PM
Stick banger
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post
I did my first threading on the lathe today. I'm quite proud.

External threads were on the lathe and internal threads were with a hand tap and they fit together like they are supposed to.

Fuel dot.
Beautiful work, cmala
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:11 AM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts

Just set this up yesterday... Solar panel was pumping almost 5 amps into my reserve batteries late in the afternoon, I was able to pull 700+ watts of AC or even more DC straight off the batteries. Now I can charge wherever and can even power my 600w PA system so I'll never have to hear Katy Perry or Taylor Swift at a huckfest ever again! Amazing event, but we have to burn that iPod!

Now I can blast "Sweet Home Chicago" at the Titans Bears game in a few weeks, I bought 30 tickets and have 20 friends coming down, should be an epic tailgate... Probably will try to pretend I'm back in college!

Pretty excited to run all my hobby electronics off of recycled energy, go green!
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:11 AM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace4 View Post
Beautiful work, cmala

+1 way cool
blakevan is offline Find More Posts by blakevan
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:42 AM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post

Just set this up yesterday... Solar panel was pumping almost 5 amps into my reserve batteries late in the afternoon, I was able to pull 700+ watts of AC or even more DC straight off the batteries. Now I can charge wherever and can even power my 600w PA system so I'll never have to hear Katy Perry or Taylor Swift at a huckfest ever again! Amazing event, but we have to burn that iPod!

Now I can blast "Sweet Home Chicago" at the Titans Bears game in a few weeks, I bought 30 tickets and have 20 friends coming down, should be an epic tailgate... Probably will try to pretend I'm back in college!

Pretty excited to run all my hobby electronics off of recycled energy, go green!
Where did you get the solar panel?
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:49 AM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teookie View Post
Where did you get the solar panel?
I got it locally from a neighbor who just put a HUGE panel in his yard! He had this on on his trailer. Right now it's hooked up to two car batteries, but I have a deep cycle coming soon and am going to keep looking for another deep cycle!

The panel shown is a 70w...

The car batteries were only $20, so I'll see how they react to a weekend at the field. I'm not sure how much I can discharge a car battery.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:51 AM
park city
Joined Jul 2004
909 Posts
Thats the DM 145 wattt panels on amazon.. Great deal..
I have the HF set-ups powering my workshop, and cargo trailer...
taildragger21 is offline Find More Posts by taildragger21
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:16 AM
Team 3DHS
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Nov 2008
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post

Sweet!!

We have a solar panel in the back yard that keeps 5 deep cycles charged I haven't had to use a power supply to charge batteries for a couple months now.

The other cool thing is the regenerative discharge feature of the PL8. If I don't drain all of my lipos at the field, I can simply put all of that juice back into the deep cycles.
joesmith285 is offline Find More Posts by joesmith285
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:31 AM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmith285 View Post
Sweet!!

We have a solar panel in the back yard that keeps 5 deep cycles charged I haven't had to use a power supply to charge batteries for a couple months now.

The other cool thing is the regenerative discharge feature of the PL8. If I don't drain all of my lipos at the field, I can simply put all of that juice back into the deep cycles.
Is the PL8 your charger? That regeneration feature sounds fantastic! Also how many watts is your panel? where did you get your deep cycles, I have one freebie coming from a friend, but they can get pricey!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:08 AM
Aerobatic Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2007
2,882 Posts
Sounds like I need to put a solar panel on the top of my ranger topper keeping my (2) 35ah deep cells charged while its parked out in the sun at work. Then when I'm at the field afterwork I have the deep cells for charging but I like putting them in series on my thunderpower charger.
HugoCraft is offline Find More Posts by HugoCraft
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:17 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Anybody seen this little guy yet? Looks interesting for a little backyard 3D fun...

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...sic-EFL6250#t1
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm