Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:38 AM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamsy55 View Post
30CC gas and electric both rock ..

But if you put a DLE-30 on an airframe and think it is going to run perfect ... your gonna have a bad time.

I think the electric setups are better for low and slow , while the gas tend to be better for high energy.
isnt that what crashed your 71 at huckfest? or was yours electric? besides when i go gas on my 72 im going to get the os gt 33 for sure.
cale10 is offline Find More Posts by cale10
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:14 AM
It'll be fineee...
Joined May 2012
907 Posts
Ok so I'll use that setup I said earlier but get a smaller batt
RCgirl383 is offline Find More Posts by RCgirl383
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:23 AM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
I like my gas 72.

...and it's brought more smiles then frowns despite the fact it's got a DLE-30 wamsy.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:19 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamsy55 View Post
30CC gas and electric both rock ..

But if you put a DLE-30 on an airframe and think it is going to run perfect ... your gonna have a bad time.

I think the electric setups are better for low and slow , while the gas tend to be better for high energy.
LOL, You're gonna have a bad time. I love that episode. "If you french fry when you're supposed to pizza....you're gonna have a bad time."
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:02 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmr24 View Post
My 71" gas Slick with a OS GT33 and 16 oz of gas is about 5 oz. heavier than my 71" electric Slick with a Hacker A60-6XS and a 6S 5000 mAh battery. With the gas Slick I fly for 9-10 minutes and land with over half a tank of gas left, with the electric I fly for 6-7 minutes. If I put just enough gas in to fly 7 minutes I think the gas Slick would be lighter than the electric Slick. I don't know why everyone thinks electric is a lot lighter than gas in this size airplane, I don't find that to be the case.

Also, the OS GT33 is pretty dang responsive on the throttle.

Not trying to start an argument, just sharing my own findings.
Frankie was flying his 71 with a 16oz tank. He was doing 15 minutes and still had plenty. I think the best size tank is an 8oz?? Could probably get the weight down and still get 10 minutes.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:08 AM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale10 View Post
isnt that what crashed your 71 at huckfest? or was yours electric? besides when i go gas on my 72 im going to get the os gt 33 for sure.
My Slick was electric. My POS Turnigy packs caused that.

They are gone. I will but some good SkyLipos or GensAce to replace them.
wamsy55 is online now Find More Posts by wamsy55
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:17 AM
Joined Nov 2008
8,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
gas is more expensive with all the little odds and ends you end up having to buy in this size...learning that right now with my first 30cc plane. Although you do get the cool noise and just having something different than the rest of the planes in your hangar.

Biggest thing i have learned so far...there is no right way to setup the electrical system, everybody has a different opinion on how to do it. Double/single battery, ignition kills, switches, battery type, ect.
More expensive? Wow look at my battery bill when they go out! I just built an 87 gas and now considering converting over a 30cc. Esc/motor about a wash for a dle30. Can still use my ar6250. I can keep my becpro as a regulator for the servos. Could get another tech aero ibec and run it off the gear switch for a kill switch($40). Then a single 2s lipo to run it all(for 5-6 flights with a 15 minute charge time...at 5a) instead of a pair of $80 each hyperion 4000's(8s, been great, they actually last a while). And no more 6 minute flights. One gallon of gas with an 8oz tank can give you about 16 flights, Over 2.5 hours of flight with no waiting. I've seen Bivens run his 74 back to back to back...and it's road hard!

But I won't give up my electrics. I have a 74 in the car for after work. Just plug in and go. No gas cans.

A place for both. 50cc IMO is definately better on gas.

JMHO
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:38 AM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
I can't it to get into a gas 89" one day. But for now, 25% and below will always be electric for me. To convenient, clean, and the price is right. Gas on a 70" is cool, but for me the higher cost doesn't add any benefit so I chose to stay electric.

I think it's all personal preference.
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:39 AM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,674 Posts
I have a DLE, and never had an issue with it. Why the DLE hate?
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:08 AM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
Because there is a more expensive option now.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:18 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
I have a DLE, and never had an issue with it. Why the DLE hate?
Thats easy.
Some people have nice running DLE's, A lot of people don't. You have to spend alot of time breaking them in right and tweeking them for the first 5 gallons of gas.
Everyone has a nice running OS. And they choose to over look it running backwards at times. And you can just go fly and not worry about breaking them in. They have a Steel
piston liner, and nice rings. Like a new car does. No one "breaks in" a new car when they buy it.
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:34 AM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285 View Post
Thats easy.
Some people have nice running DLE's, A lot of people don't. You have to spend alot of time breaking them in right and tweeking them for the first 5 gallons of gas.
Everyone has a nice running OS. And they choose to over look it running backwards at times. And you can just go fly and not worry about breaking them in. They have a Steel
piston liner, and nice rings. Like a new car does. No one "breaks in" a new car when they buy it.

Like Jim says you can make a DLE run well with time. There is a guy here in MN that makes better rings for the DLE engines that really help them out but you have to enjoy tinkering on the engine to get it running well.

I love OS engines from back in my Glow days. They work well and as Jim said there is no real break in with the OS Gas engines. Note I said gas and not glow

As far as breaking in a new car doesn't everyone take the car to the local racetrack on the "test drive" to "break it in" I always make the salesman sit in the back seat. It's harder for them to stop me!
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:38 AM
Aerobatic Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2007
2,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285 View Post
Thats easy.
does the dle-55 have steel rings?

The dle-30 that quadracer now how has required tinkering 3 times during the first 5 gallons of break in which occurred in the sky with little to no 3d. Then went synthetic after break in and the final tweak.

Quadrace, have you ran it after the mishap?
HugoCraft is offline Find More Posts by HugoCraft
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Nov 2008
8,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
I can't it to get into a gas 89" one day. But for now, 25% and below will always be electric for me. To convenient, clean, and the price is right. Gas on a 70" is cool, but for me the higher cost doesn't add any benefit so I chose to stay electric.

I think it's all personal preference.
What am I missing? I'm still wondering where the higher cost is in a gas over electric(and I've only done 1 ) Considering starting with 2-3 sets of batterys. Not counting a $300 PL8. But I will say on my 72 I have a $50 tacon 110 that has worked well for over 50 flights.

But thinking in my head for the 87 electric would have been way more expensive. Q80 at $650, hv120 is $229. dle55 $350 with discounts. Then pairs of 6s batterys for 5-6 minute flights.

I have 16 flights now on my 87 that I maidened a week ago, for the same amount time it would have taken about 30 flights on electric. REALLY liking the longer flight times.

Just saying.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:14 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,446 Posts
I have been flying gas and electric 50cc+ planes. I love the feel of te electric better bury the flight time of the gas is awesome. B/c the throttle s soooooooo much smoother with the electric if i go that big my self it will be electric. That is for 50cc anything bigger its will be gas b/c my pockets ate not that deep to stay electric
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic