HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:41 PM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
I realize most rock star pilots dont cg a bird till its in the air but has anyone here used a Vanessa CG rig before?
No, but I've heard of "put in in the middle of the tray " and go fly it before
goflyhighrc is offline Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:09 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
Yea me too and that works on the smaller models for sure. I tried to hand balance the big slick and it turned out way tail heavy so I am looking for other methods as I don't think hand balancing a 10 pound plane works for me.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:18 PM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Mar 2011
707 Posts
I use some army 550 para cord around the wingtube and set the canopy sideways in the same spot and lift. Works on every size 3d plane up to 40% that I have. At least to get it in the air
nebwake is offline Find More Posts by nebwake
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:20 PM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Foxfire Village, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,454 Posts
Quote:
I realize most rock star pilots dont cg a bird till its in the air but has anyone here used a Vanessa CG rig before?
That's all I use. Works every time.
bigbobed is offline Find More Posts by bigbobed
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:54 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
Yea looking at the vanessa it does not look like its doing anything. I dont get how the tail stays level and the cg can change
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:40 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Yea looking at the vanessa it does not look like its doing anything. I dont get how the tail stays level and the cg can change
The idea is rather clever. You level the tail, then the plumb bob shows you where the CG is. Then you move some weight to adjust the CG. The whole rig moves to the new balance point, the tail is no longer level. So you rotate the dowel to readjust the string length for/aft until the tail is level again. And the plumb bob shows you the new CG.

I tried it. It was a royal pain, and difficult to get an accurate and consistent result for a small plane. I went back to my great planes CG machine, which I find much easier to gt consistent results with. Perhaps for big planes the Vanessa rig works better.
AeroKen is offline Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:35 PM
Flying 2 Fight Cancer
corona, ca
Joined Feb 2011
3,638 Posts
well ended up selling the dle that was giving me problems and picked up a MLD 35 which i couldnt pass up on. Plan of installing it tonight and breaking it in tomorrow and finally fly it on sunday
Elec 1800 is online now Find More Posts by Elec 1800
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:38 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
Awesome...well except for the royal pain part. Might just rig this up in the garage and leave it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
The idea is rather clever. You level the tail, then the plumb bob shows you where the CG is. Then you move some weight to adjust the CG. The whole rig moves to the new balance point, the tail is no longer level. So you rotate the dowel to readjust the string length for/aft until the tail is level again. And the plumb bob shows you the new CG.

I tried it. It was a royal pain, and difficult to get an accurate and consistent result for a small plane. I went back to my great planes CG machine, which I find much easier to gt consistent results with. Perhaps for big planes the Vanessa rig works better.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:59 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
it's usually not the rock-starness, but that figertip methods work fine to get something close enough to maiden... then after that one should be playing with CofG locations by moving the pack, etc so that they get their ideal balance for their preferences.

...all 3DHS planes are absurdly tolerant of CofG location, haven't had one yet that was unflyable because the CofG was bad.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:06 AM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Awesome...well except for the royal pain part. Might just rig this up in the garage and leave it.
The part I had the most trouble with was getting the tail level. If you put a level on it it changes the CG of course. The plane I was trying it with was all curves with an airfoiled tail anyway. I ended up trying to use a laser level to shine a line down the side of the plane. Not very satisfactory. Hopefully you can find a better way.
AeroKen is offline Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:48 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,259 Posts
Video from the State College FLI

3DHS State College Fly Low In Noon Demo (8 min 1 sec)
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:35 PM
Fly til dark
United States, IN, Bourbon
Joined Nov 2011
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmith285 View Post
A 103" Extra. We shipped it about 2 weeks ago.
Congrads I am sure you will enjoy!
jfuller1250 is offline Find More Posts by jfuller1250
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:39 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
I don't know if this is as funny if you don't know the girl but this is a friend of my daughter's.
She is a major fan of Jason Mraz and she is at home, in her room with her computer and she is trying to pose for a photo to make it look like she is sitting on a curb with Jason Mraz. she thinks that the computer is set on a timer to take a picture but it actually is recording video.

I laugh harder each time I watch it.
Girl Falls (0 min 8 sec)
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:54 PM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Mar 2011
707 Posts
Go huskers! 42 to 0!
nebwake is offline Find More Posts by nebwake
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:01 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,725 Posts
57 in action at State College FLI

3DHS 57extra 330 sc pilot Joe Smith (4 min 32 sec)
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285