13,834 Posts
What?? No Incidence Emails???
heritageflyer is online now Find More Posts by heritageflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:20 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Oy, vey! The incidence emails! Every week!
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:21 PM
Endangered User
United States, FL, Casselberry
Joined Jul 2002
1,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher View Post
Well, I've been doing this for a while, and I have deeply considered the issue. We always go through a rough time with every inexpensive aircraft we do. 40" Balsa Edge was a very similar experience. When you do a small, inexpensive aircraft, you take a risk. You can test them extensively, fly them and fly them, develop them, and still have an internet feeding frenzy develop.

As an example, we brought some fresh 40" EPP Edges out to the State College event last weekend. Just built from the box, equipment stuck in, charge it and throw it. It's EPP, which is rubber foam, so they always require some trim and they never feel as precise as balsa, but we hand the Tx to people and they fly them and love them. We fly them and show them off. By this I mean we fly the plane and let other people fly the plane, in the real world, even newbies. That should be as pure and unaltered an experience of the plane as possible.

Now, compare to that thread. You have people who are claiming the aircraft won't roll at throttle and is unflyable. If an airplane that rolls for one pilot will not roll for another pilot, then pilot B has a variable different. I have read through it and have judged that probably some of these individual people need some setup assistance, and some people (since it is a 40" long thin EPP wing panel) need to twist their wings....but that information will not get out if posted in that thread. A rep of 3DHS who posts will not be listened to. It's a toxic environment, but in my opinion it will eventually calm down, at which point something could actually be done to help out. My opinion about the toxicity of the web is well known, and as a result we don't go wading off into impossible situations as often as we used to. That's just the way it is.
Well said. I've personally dealt with this sort of thing in non-hobby related environments, and it's a complete damned if you do, damned if you don't deal.

FWIW, I have always been pleased with my 3DHS products and the service I have received.

Are you guys planning to attend the Central Florida Huckfest in Deland in November? Might need more goodies....
MattLarson29 is offline Find More Posts by MattLarson29
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:41 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
unknown about Deland, we'll make that decision at the last minute, really depends how things are going at the warehouse.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:43 PM
Endangered User
United States, FL, Casselberry
Joined Jul 2002
1,307 Posts
Quote:
unknown about Deland, we'll make that decision at the last minute, really depends how things are going at the warehouse.
Aw, jeez. You realize I am now compelled to start 15 new threads about how 3DHS hates it's customers in the South, and post links to them in every 3DHS related thread (and a few unrelated threads as well)?

How am I going to have time to fly with that kind of workload thrust upon me?

MattLarson29 is offline Find More Posts by MattLarson29
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:45 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,598 Posts
Quote:
What about watts next year?
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:48 PM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
So, I just pulled the Hacker A50-16L from my 71 Slick. I noticed some movement if I grabed the prop. So it looks like 1mm movement if I hold the x mount and wiggle the can. Is this normal? It appears pretty minor just wanted to see if it was a sign it needs to go back in for service (bearing?)

Xmount and prop adaptor bolts are tightened. Set screws are installed.

And Ben, thanks for responding. I understand the no win situation presented here. Afterall, we are talking about toy airplanes (this is a joke)
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain
Last edited by dentalpain; Sep 11, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:49 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,598 Posts
These are not toys-they are high-powered model aircraft
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:20 PM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Foxfire Village, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
These are not toys-they are high-powered model aircraft
At my club, the e guys get together at one end of the flight line and the glow guys at the other. When a guest shows up, one of the glow guys always brings him to our end a tells him 'this is where the toy airplanes hang out.' Problem is, the toys seem to get a lot more flights than the real ones. A lot fewer dead sticks also. That is if they manage to get one to run long enough to get in the air.
bigbobed is online now Find More Posts by bigbobed
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:25 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbobed View Post
At my club, the e guys get together at one end of the flight line and the glow guys at the other. When a guest shows up, one of the glow guys always brings him to our end a tells him 'this is where the toy airplanes hang out.' Problem is, the toys seem to get a lot more flights than the real ones. A lot fewer dead sticks also. That is if they manage to get one to run long enough to get in the air.
You should show up with one of these toys then. They will shut up I promise.
3DHS 103 Extra Electrified pilot Joe Smith (5 min 24 sec)
jsmith285 is online now Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:25 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalpain View Post
So, I just pulled the Hacker A50-16L from my 71 Slick. I noticed some movement if I grabed the prop. So it looks like 1mm movement if I hold the x mount and wiggle the can. Is this normal? It appears pretty minor just wanted to see if it was a sign it needs to go back in for service (bearing?)

Xmount and prop adaptor bolts are tightened. Set screws are installed.

And Ben, thanks for responding. I understand the no win situation presented here. Afterall, we are talking about toy airplanes (this is a joke)
There are two perpendicular grub screws at the top of the can, near the output hub, that grab the shaft (heheheh). You will have to take the prop adapter off to get to it. Make sure they are tight. I had that happen on the A50-12S in my Osiris and caused issues.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,598 Posts
Why is RCG asking us to change our passwords
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:36 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,185 Posts
Quote:
They had a breach and all of our account information has possibly been dropped into the wind.... I got an email at lunch.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:37 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,177 Posts
Quote:
You can read about it here
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:10 PM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
There are two perpendicular grub screws at the top of the can, near the output hub, that grab the shaft (heheheh). You will have to take the prop adapter off to get to it. Make sure they are tight. I had that happen on the A50-12S in my Osiris and caused issues.
Thanks. I just spoke with Kyle at aero model. He advised I send it in. They update the v2 to a v2.1 spec with larger shaft to prevent the slop. This lateral play was causing the motor to overheat as the magnets rubbed. It would come down boiling and you could literally smell the motor from 10's of feet away. Anyways its all good. Thanks for your help.
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain