HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:55 AM
United States, TX, Palacios
Joined Feb 2009
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
Cheap and easy night flying = Success!

Put a head lamp (Idk what it's called) on and you can fly The flash from the camera lit up a lot too!
Now why didn't I think of that !!!
SportFlyer2 is offline Find More Posts by SportFlyer2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:23 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarface View Post
order a gas one all you would need is exstesions for the motor.
It's not really the same, as the cowling is different, and the canopy/hatch does not go as far forward, so therefore, it is more difficult to strap the batteries down. It's not impossible, just harder...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:34 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
It's not really the same, as the cowling is different, and the canopy/hatch does not go as far forward, so therefore, it is more difficult to strap the batteries down. It's not impossible, just harder...

SteveT
I know just talking and throwing out an idea that I am sure he already knew.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Last edited by skarface; Jul 23, 2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:27 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfab View Post
The other old saying goes, "Ya gotta be smarter than the tool you're working with"

Jeff
LOL I say that all the time. I just wonder if it still applies if you are the only tool (ie buffoon, numbskull, nimwit, ect., ect.) doing the work?

Another I use quite often "You only have to be 10% smarter than what ever it is you are working on."
Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:23 AM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,492 Posts
ok my epp extra just isnt doing the job of "3d flying" so i need a 3dhs balsa airframe. wich 3D's best? the 41 edge, 42 slick, 46 yak, 47 extra or the 48 edge? i really want a hardcore 3d plane to huck around so wich is best?
cale10 is offline Find More Posts by cale10
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:40 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale10 View Post
ok my epp extra just isnt doing the job of "3d flying" so i need a 3dhs balsa airframe. wich 3D's best? the 41 edge, 42 slick, 46 yak, 47 extra or the 48 edge? i really want a hardcore 3d plane to huck around so wich is best?
What is the EPP extra lacking in 3d flying?

I've only had the 41'' and 47'' of the ones listed and i have to recommend the 47''. It feels like a very well rounded airframe. Just make sure to get the 130 omega not the 103
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:40 AM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,009 Posts
Quote:
I've heard the 47 shp is really good.
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:47 AM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
What is the EPP extra lacking in 3d flying?

I've only had the 41'' and 47'' of the ones listed and i have to recommend the 47''. It feels like a very well rounded airframe. Just make sure to get the 130 omega not the 103
it doesnt fly at full speed. the airframe flexes.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:49 AM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Full speed 3D ey? Interesting...

The only thing I found I can't get my 48 Extra to do is pop tops. I'm thinking the large flat sides just kill that.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:56 AM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Mar 2011
707 Posts
48 Edge is hands down the best 3D ship you listed, followed closely by the SHP. If you are learning, i would go with the Edge since it has wire LG and will not break where as the Extra has carbon gear and is also a bit more expensive.
nebwake is offline Find More Posts by nebwake
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:56 AM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireyFate View Post
Full speed 3D ey? Interesting...
Indeed. Here I was, thinking that 3D flight was post-stall, slow and low, hanging on the prop kind of stuff. I never knew it involved high speed maneuvers with the wings generating lift. This must be that newfangled 3D that all the kids are doing these days.

Seriously though... high speed aerobatics and 3D flight are not the same. The EPP Extra is a fine 3D aircraft and loves to be flown in such a fashion. It is not a high speed aerobat capable of handling crankshafts, pop-tops and other violent maneuvers over and over again. It's still a foam plane for Pete's sake!
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:06 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Huh?

I fly WOT all the time with mine. I will say it doesn't tumble like a balsa plane with all that surface area, but full speed is not a problem. That flexing you see may be flexing of the rubber bands holding the wings together. I use thin zip ties on my wings - no flexing and will probably break in a hard enough crash (haven't tested this yet, though).
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:23 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
Huh?

I fly WOT all the time with mine. I will say it doesn't tumble like a balsa plane with all that surface area, but full speed is not a problem. That flexing you see may be flexing of the rubber bands holding the wings together. I use thin zip ties on my wings - no flexing and will probably break in a hard enough crash (haven't tested this yet, though).
when I fly WOT i roll with the alirons and it just doesnt seem to roll as much. i use zip ties too. but i still love the plane and it flys great with low speed 3d.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:37 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
when I fly WOT i roll with the alirons and it just doesnt seem to roll as much. i use zip ties too. but i still love the plane and it flys great with low speed 3d.
There are a lot of flat surfaces that want to keep the plane from rolling (tail, fuse, wing). At WOT, their combined effect is probably more difficult to overcome with the ailerons. I find with my not so great flying that my plane rolls faster when I'm trying to do rollers at a moderate speed (to keep my stick movements in sync with the roll rate) - eventually it starts rolling too fast and I fall behind and have to bail.

Probably easier to show you what I mean:
3DHS 48" EPP Extra 330SC - Windy Day (5 min 38 sec)
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:00 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
4,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD One. View Post
Indeed. Here I was, thinking that 3D flight was post-stall, slow and low, hanging on the prop kind of stuff. I never knew it involved high speed maneuvers with the wings generating lift. This must be that newfangled 3D that all the kids are doing these days.

Seriously though... high speed aerobatics and 3D flight are not the same. The EPP Extra is a fine 3D aircraft and loves to be flown in such a fashion. It is not a high speed aerobat capable of handling crankshafts, pop-tops and other violent maneuvers over and over again. It's still a foam plane for Pete's sake!
+1 I agree 100% I guess 3d turned into wot for the whole flight
3Dplank is offline Find More Posts by 3Dplank