HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:06 AM
I AM Smiling
Joined Dec 2007
373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugocraft View Post
but anyways, has anybody gotten the February Model Aviaton from the AMA?
Yes, got mine a while ago.
DeadStick Dave is offline Find More Posts by DeadStick Dave
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:09 AM
The loose nut behind the TX
Gladstone, MO
Joined Oct 2010
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugocraft View Post
Tutorial from Mr. Scott Stoops:
Speaking of Mr. Scott....he posted the following in the "old" Addicts thread.
Thought I'd cross post it for those that aren't monitoring the "old" thread anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi26mx View Post
Personal Update--

Although not particularly newsworthy to most, many of you have supported me along the way and will notice my absence at FlyRC in the coming months. I figured it would be easier to post once about it rather than have to answer a gazillion questions. With so many "fanatic" and other new 3DHS threads, I don't really know where to post this, but here seems fine to me...

I'm no longer working for FlyRC magazine (personal decision) and I'm slowly shutting down RC Pilot Guide. My editor and good friend, Thayer Syme, was fired on Friday and without him there I really see no reason to continue contributing or editing for FlyRC. He was the heart and soul of the place. Time for a change, anyway. I'm trying to find a way to write for a full-scale magazine or other hobby venue, but for now, I had a good time, met a lot of good people and made some friendships that will last a lifetime.

On RC Pilot Guide, sales have been waning for a while, so I've decided to shut it down for the time being. I'd like to think that I'll be able to update it at some point, but not now. Personally, I believe the book has a lot of timeless advice, and I appreciate all of your support for the last 7 years (holy cow, it's been that long?) that it has been available. Along those lines, the book is out of stock everywhere but (I believe) ADC Hobby Store. Please support Rob and get it there if anyone needs a copy. http://www.adchobbystore.com/The-Pil...ght_p_250.html

I do have about 30 copies that were slightly damaged in printing that I will sell at a slight discount but only after Rob has completely sold out of his stock. The damage is one or two small "burns" on the edge of roughly 1-5 pages per book. The books are absolutely readable and completely functional. Again, these copies will only be available after the remaining stock at ADC is sold out. Thanks for understanding.

Going forward, I really need to focus on the full-scale flying as I don't expect my Dad and I will be able to keep the Sukhoi more than a couple more years for financial reasons.

I also hope to be able to refocus my efforts in the 3DHS realm as I really enjoy that aspect of the hobby the most. Developing new models and making new friends at the different shows is something that I've really missed the last couple of years.

Scott
Am I the only one thinking it would be cool if the "remaining" copies of his book were autographed?
JeffSchre is offline Find More Posts by JeffSchre
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:15 AM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
I don't know. I kind of liked it
Yeah I love that song. Everything else on that album was meh... and Korn's last CD fell flat too.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:39 AM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
Having a "slow" day at work so I'm trying to make a 3D model that's supposed to look like a 65" Vyper wing. Can someone with a Vyper handy take a look at the wing and tell me how far back from the wing tip (at the root) the wing tube is? Is it at about the 40% position? (that would be 40% of the distance from the LE to TE at the root.)

Normally I think you would want it at more like 25% or 30% but with the Vypers leading edge sweep I think it's moved back. Just hoping someone can give me confirmation real quick.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:47 AM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
Ah NX....

Quote:
Originally Posted by teookie View Post
Having a "slow" day at work so I'm trying to make a 3D model that's supposed to look like a 65" Vyper wing. Can someone with a Vyper handy take a look at the wing and tell me how far back from the wing tip (at the root) the wing tube is? Is it at about the 40% position? (that would be 40% of the distance from the LE to TE at the root.)

Normally I think you would want it at more like 25% or 30% but with the Vypers leading edge sweep I think it's moved back. Just hoping someone can give me confirmation real quick.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:56 PM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
Making progress. I think?
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:34 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
Looking like a wing to me
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:12 PM
CHOO CHOO
Northern Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
4,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
sometimes it's a lot of chat... also a lot of flying happens. just have to do whatever the mood strikes
Are you going to update to RF6?
6L6Amp is offline Find More Posts by 6L6Amp
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:13 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
Yea I get a little picky. I write specs in my day to day.

Does a hacker speed control require end point setting the same as a CC?

Ok... I was able to get through to AeroModel today, and talked to Mike and asked whether Hacker ESCs have a "fixed endpoint' set-up like the Castle ESCs. I was told that if they are the "X" series of controllers...."no". The Hacker/Jeti or "spin" controllers do,
I was also told that Hacker is coming out with some new ESCs, that have big BECs (I.E. ten amp), that will have fixed endpoints, and a few other cool things. I believe Mike said they will be called the "Meson" (spelling?) line of ESCs. These are still to be the "upper" level ESCs, but they are designed to eliminate the initial throttle up lag that has been inherent in some of the large Hacker ESCs....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:16 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSchre View Post
Speaking of Mr. Scott....he posted the following in the "old" Addicts thread.
Thought I'd cross post it for those that aren't monitoring the "old" thread anymore.

Am I the only one thinking it would be cool if the "remaining" copies of his book were autographed?
I sure would like to have a copy!!...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:26 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6Amp View Post
Are you going to update to RF6?
yup, I reckon so. Joe says its much better... so I want to update simply so I can make more efficient use of practice time, and my current controller is worn out.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:28 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,659 Posts
Quote:
yup, I reckon so. Joe says its much better... so I want to update simply so I can make more efficient use of practice time, and my current controller is worn out.
SWEET! Can't wait to see more 3DHS RF6 sessions.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:30 PM
CHOO CHOO
Northern Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
4,126 Posts
Quote:
Sweet. Joe and I flew last night for a few hours. After I schooled him on various rolling maneuvers, I cut his streamer several times and he decided to call it a night.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:32 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,175 Posts
Quote:
do you play the real flight on your mac with the partitioned windows we talked about?
Manta1 is online now Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:34 PM
CHOO CHOO
Northern Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
4,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
do you play the real flight on your mac with the partitioned windows we talked about?
I'm using Parallels and it's working fine. I didn't have to dumb down any of the graphics. Running Boot Camp would be even better, but I'm to lazy to reboot my machine every time I want to use the simulator.