HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:51 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,683 Posts
Ok...was just curious...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:55 PM
Redwing FTW
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Nov 2008
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
I fricken HATE LOCKOUTS!!
I was maidening my cub and was too lazy to put te reciever wires in a 90* anlge. I kinda thought that was all hoo hah.
Appearently not.
Sh*t.
Not having your antennas at 90 wouldn't have caused that. Ask me how I know I've flown many planes with the antennas not a 90.

The problem is that there is soooo many things in a plane that could cause you to loose control of it. It's not fair to just blame the radio, and the problem with blaming the radio is that when you get to your next plane, the same issue could happen again. Both spektrum and futaba have rock solid systems. Spektrum was prone to issues when 25+ airplanes were in the air but not anymore.

Is it a new radio? or have you flown it for awhile?

Also, did the plane go into failsafe?
joesmith285 is online now Find More Posts by joesmith285
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:01 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,877 Posts
I used to find the satellite flying around loose inside the fuselage all the time, and never had any lockouts. The manual said to keep the sat wires 90° to the Rx wires, but I can only imagine they were slamming into, laying across, and who knows what else. I even had to untangle it from the pull-pull cables a few times.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:03 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,448 Posts
I find that the majority of crashes that people blame on lockout are in fact to be blamed on over amp-ing the bec, which is set-up

Joe, how long have you been flying? you're 19 now? I was watching video last night of you and AJ flying and I have to say, while I think AJ might have an edge on precision, your flying has me on the seat of my chair, the WOW factor is there, keep it up.
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:05 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmith285 View Post
Not having your antennas at 90 wouldn't have caused that. Ask me how I know I've flown many planes with the antennas not a 90.

The problem is that there is soooo many things in a plane that could cause you to loose control of it. It's not fair to just blame the radio, and the problem with blaming the radio is that when you get to your next plane, the same issue could happen again. Both spektrum and futaba have rock solid systems. Spektrum was prone to issues when 25+ airplanes were in the air but not anymore.

And was it with a FrSky rx?
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:05 PM
Redwing FTW
Joined Nov 2008
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
I find that the majority of crashes that people blame on lockout are in fact to be blamed on over amp-ing the bec, which is set-up

Joe, how long have you been flying? you're 19 now? I was watching video last night of you and AJ flying and I have to say, while I think AJ might have an edge on precision, your flying has me on the seat of my chair, the WOW factor is there, keep it up.
Yep, I have heard of more brown outs than lockouts.

Thanks for the kind words I am 18 and have been flying for a little over 3.5 years.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:08 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,735 Posts
Joe.... Any advice on preventing binding? I mean all I have is ball link then rod then ball link. I don't know what would bind.
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:11 PM
Joined Jun 2011
2,735 Posts
It's just dis-heartening because I put over 1000 flights on my first 42 slick with 6 dollar T-pro servos and they are still flying. Haven't been able to break a one. I have way less flights on hitecs and I have a stack of 10 or so that are bad. Maybe half of them that failed have been crashed so I understand that but the other half have not been.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:11 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,692 Posts
I think Joe nailed it. I went over my setup very very carefully, and even though it was ball links on both sides, the black part of the link would touch the arm at full deflection.
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:12 PM
Joined Jun 2011
2,735 Posts
What did u do to fix it irg? I suppose ill be looking over my plane in great detail before I fly again.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:15 PM
Redwing FTW
Joined Nov 2008
1,425 Posts
Well the question is what does the servo sound like at full deflection. If it is making any noise at all, then you have binding. It could be in the linkage, or in could be too tight of a hinge gap.

If the servo is completely quiet, then you are good to go. If the servo burns up after that, it's not your fault.
RCG Plus Member
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,673 Posts
Quote:

I didn't know I had failsafe until the guys at the field told me
I think it was the radio because everything is working fine now....it was 3 standard size s3003s on a 3A BEC. So I don't think that was the problem.
It did the "Death spiral" I was flying straight and all of a sudden....
BAM!!!
It went spinning down at full throttle.

I got the radio in February.... I had one major crash due to a wing spar failure, but the reciever wasn't in the smashed mess so I didn't send it in.

I also had another crash with my SR22 that might hhave been due to radio problems but I think it was a tip stall.
I've flown my EPP Slick waaaaaay up high to just a spec after all these crashes and it has been rock solid no issues

I'm pretty sure it was missing signal for one reason or another, putting all the tiny little clues together.
Also, this is my 2200 that was in the plane, do you think it is stilll good to use? (I cut the heat shrink away)
Alex Schauer is online now Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Wingman II
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2011
1,260 Posts
anyone know where to get nylon canopy screws? I think they are 3mm. I need some extra!
diggity2424 is online now Find More Posts by diggity2424
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:17 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,448 Posts
Joe mentioned something that I think a lot of people overlook or ignore, I know I have in the past
We are all told to set the radios for max travel and then set linkage to get desired throw, but nobody mentions that I quote Joe here "The servos should make ZERO noise when the surface is fully deflected." This is key, you have to make sure the servo gets to full deflection without struggling
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:20 PM
Joined Jun 2011
2,735 Posts
Quote:
Well the question is what does the servo sound like at full deflection. If it is making any noise at all, then you have binding. It could be in the linkage, or in could be too tight of a hinge gap.

If the servo is completely quiet, then you are good to go. If the servo burns up after that, it's not your fault.
ok, thanks for the help. I'll give everything a look and go from there.