Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:20 AM
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Build Log
"Z-WINGGIT" AP/FPV Project.

Hello and greetings to all!

Welcome to: "Z-WINGGIT" AP/FPV Project.
Plans, none and here is why: don' t need any!
While waiting for paint to dry on the wings of another project, I was staring at some sheets of foam board against the wall. I have a design in mind with specific requirements but it is only on paper. While looking at the foam board, I thought I'd make some cuts for a mockup of what I am working on...
As soon as I grabbed on ready board, it was all over, I had to build something that would fly, hopefully... I strayed away from my project and decided to have fun! A couple traits deal with what I have in mind, but not much anymore.
The only plan needed is not worth drawing as there is none and it is so simple.
-Take one sheet of ready board, measure 6 inches from the top corner on one of the small side and do the same to the other side but measure from the bottom. THAT IS IT.
-That is the only measurement used. All the rest I WINGED IT and I decided to call the plane :"Z-WINGGIT"!!!
This is my first Delta/ Flying wing build! Hope it turns out.
*I already have picked the next build: Z-WINGGIT II, using the same design with modifications.
Also if the results justify another build of version 1, I will make it foldable for super easy transport. As it stands now the wingspan is 42 inches.

-I decided that not only I would build it for about $4, but I wanted to built well and strong.
Just like many of you, I had the fever and thoughts racing...So I gave myself some guide lines.
I'd make a light wind sloper, that idea went by the wayside quickly, and I was for sure going to put power to it!!! Whatever motor is in my treasure box!
-It had to be simple and use every bit of foam from the boards!
So after the first cut, I moved things around, and around, and then I made my mind up.
(1) I would make a thick high lift airfoil, not a racer, no KF, it still looks like it might be fast but I hope for slow flight as well.
(2) I wanted to put my Gopro on it,
(3) I only would use what I had laying around(#M 77, bamboo skewers, couple left over pieces of blue foam, you get the picture)...
(4) The motor had to be on top....Props and bent shafts always ruin the day!
(5) it had to be a pusher so I could take unobstructed pics, as well as to control the C.G. for the weight of the camera and case.
(6) I already have a cheap way to cover the wings( see: Poor man's Monokote on my blog) but decided to come up with something very strong durable, lightweight, waterproof on which I could use any type of paint without melting the foam, AND FOR ABSOLUTLY FREE!
(I will have a video just about that subject in the future).
(7) I would keep the bottom flat and create the "reflex" that might be needed with adjusting the elevons.
(8) Against my taste in design, smooth lines, curves, I decided that straight angular line would make it super simple and a lost faster to build. So I put myself out of my comfort zone, and it is good experience.

So this is where I am in 2 days, brainstorming and changing things as I go along. That is the fun of it all. I will fly it as is but I already have in mind a number of wing extensions, different configurations base on: "Z-WINGGIT"
I already have picked the design for "Z-WINGGIT II " AP/FPV with more useful load capacity, larger wingspan, using the same basic design to start.
So here are some pics which are self explanatory.
After I made the first cut, looking for some "different shapes, I decided to go a bit unconventional. The second cut was when I overlapped the wings together and decided to cut out what will end up being the access cover for the top hatch.

*I found out that I could sand the foam with the paper still on no problem. This explains why the leading edges are flat for the moment. Laminating wide strips would give me added structural strength and I would shape them later.

*C.G. You will see in the pics, in front of the motor mount/fin a red line with a red dot. That is where I "guestimated" the CG would be!

She probably will not win a beauty contest, but i will try to give her the best makeup possible!

Anyways, here goes nothing!!!
Lafayette
"Z-WINGGIT" AP/FPV wing By "Lafayette" Part 1 (3 min 31 sec)
Lafayette is offline Find More Posts by Lafayette
Last edited by Lafayette; Feb 04, 2012 at 04:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2012, 12:05 AM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Figured out all the positioning of the guts!
Also made a nice and simple mount for the gopro.
Coming along.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 03:22 AM
Total Noob
United States, CA, Yucaipa
Joined Nov 2008
542 Posts
So, with those tips sticking up like that in the back, wouldn't it mess up with flying ability? I can see it helping on sides, but that... I don't know.

Btw, I got GoPro Hero2.... I would love to mount it on a plane... but I need to build a big enough one to carry it. I use it for snowboarding, the quality is amazing.
bkboggy is offline Find More Posts by bkboggy
Old Feb 05, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkboggy View Post
So, with those tips sticking up like that in the back, wouldn't it mess up with flying ability? I can see it helping on sides, but that... I don't know.

Btw, I got GoPro Hero2.... I would love to mount it on a plane... but I need to build a big enough one to carry it. I use it for snowboarding, the quality is amazing.
The parts sticking up are the elevons!
It does not take much of an airplane to carry the gopro especially naked.
I always use the case just in case! I modded a Slowstick with a big motor mount, aluminum gear and the go pro on board in the case, did just fine.
I had covered the bottom of the wing see:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1243116
Covering the bottom of my wing made a tremendous difference in flight performance and handled the wind much better.

A slow stick is as cheap as is gets and to this day one of the most use models to carry cameras for AP.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 04:08 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Making progress

After figuring out how to install the electronics, I have been working on the reinforcement of the wing. As I said I was doing this on the cheap, I used bamboo skewers tacked with CA, then moistened and of course GG!
It makes for a very strong reinforcement, and even if the glue puffs up and it looks big and heavy, it is not. Very secure and light.
I think that I finally have decided on the access hatch.
I am aslo going to modify the elevons. It will have less stress on the servos. They are small servos!!!
Old Feb 09, 2012, 06:59 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Testing a new FREE covering

Testing a new FREE covering. When finished, No one will know it is made out of ready board, especially when it is on floats and waterproof!
Old Feb 09, 2012, 07:08 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post
Testing a new FREE covering. When finished, No one will know it is made out of ready board, especially when it is on floats and waterproof!
garbage bag?
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutcastZeroOne View Post
garbage bag?
No, something strong! Garbage bags you have to buy and would not in any way benefit this project.
I will post a video of what I am doing.
FREE, STRONG, DURABLE, ...................................
Last edited by Lafayette; Feb 10, 2012 at 04:38 PM.