HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:06 PM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
702 Posts
Discussion
Banana Hobby BlitzRCWorks Sky Surfer

Anyone have any experience with BH stuff? I got a BlitzRCWorks Sky Surfer as a gift around mid Jan. The instructions say to test all electronics before building the plane. I did this and soon as I plugged up the battery to test things it fried the ESC. Smoke rolled out of the center of the plane and had a terrible electric burning smell. After that nothing would respond. I tested everything else using a battery I have for my nitro planes and everything else seems to work fine. I emailed them and after several days I get an email back saying here is the link to the parts u need to fix it.

Seriously? I have to order and pay for parts to fix something that was obviously faulty from the factory? Not to mention having to cut this thing apart to put it all in.

That just dont set well with me. If u sell something u should stand by it. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this kind of issue with them. They have some nice looking planes but if thats the kind of support they offer then whats the point. I realize its not going to be PZ or E-Flite quality but it should at least last a little while before toasting.

Any thoughts??
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:35 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
Well, the 1st question is - are you SURE you hooked things up correctly? A poster a few days ago had hooked the wires up all wrong. Is this a 1st plane? Have you "built" other planes? More info, please.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:58 PM
Novice in training
Joined Aug 2011
702 Posts
I plugged the battery into the battery port. Fully charged battery and turned the tx on first. Made a funny noise and the smoke rolled. No I have 6 planes in total. 4 electric and 2 nitro.
Last edited by JoshB; Feb 03, 2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:18 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,554 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of Banana Hobby. You have two choices at this point.

1. Try to get Banana Hobby to replace the ESC. They might eventually. But after reading dozens of posts about similar situations here on RCG i expect you will be in for a long wait.

2. Bite the bullet and buy a new ESC. You will be ahead in the long run. If not financially, then certainly in the aggravation department.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:45 PM
Novice in training
Joined Aug 2011
702 Posts
Went to the site to see what it would cost to fix and wouldn't u know it. Out of stock on the ESC. U think that means they have a problem with them?...
Old Feb 04, 2012, 06:21 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Went to the site to see what it would cost to fix and wouldn't u know it. Out of stock on the ESC. U think that means they have a problem with them?...
There are lots of places around that sell ESC's. You don't have to go back to BH. Just get one with the same or higher current rating. (It never hurts to go higher as long as the weight increase is reasonable.)

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Feb 04, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined Oct 2011
412 Posts
I have a SkySurfer and love it. My ESC held up pretty well but fried while I was bench testing some FPV gear (thankfully vs in flight). Truthfully your better of just replacing it with a quality ESC from the beginning. Remarkably tough plane thats a lot of fun and versatile.

Here's mine after many bumps, bruises and a few immovable objects in it's current role as "FPV trainer".

TxToast is offline Find More Posts by TxToast
Old Feb 04, 2012, 05:12 PM
Novice in training
Joined Aug 2011
702 Posts
I found a few replacements online that are actually cheaper then the factory replacement. I will just go that route since I can't get help from them. Like has been said I will probably be better off anyway.

U think it would of fried the motor too or probably just the ESC? Its hard to find brushed motors anymore. Guess I could change it over to brushless but not sure which motor will fit in there.

Toast that plane looks cool. I might go the FPV route once I get some flying time in on this thing.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 12:33 PM
Joined Oct 2011
412 Posts
I've got an optima 450 2220-1800kv

I've got the stock brushless motor sitting here. Works great but it's used. Happy to send it out $10 shipped if you want it.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 05:36 PM
Novice in training
Joined Aug 2011
702 Posts
U take paypal?
Old Feb 06, 2012, 12:38 AM
Joined Oct 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
U take paypal?
Sure, send me a PM...
Old Feb 06, 2012, 01:48 AM
Novice in training
Joined Aug 2011
702 Posts
PM sent. How do u like the Optima motor?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:01 PM
Novice in training
Joined Aug 2011
702 Posts
Bump... Toast u like that Optima motor?? Thanks for the other motor. Ur the man.