HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2012, 03:32 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
Discussion
Turnado - Long Shaft

Is it possible to buy the Turnado A50-14L with the long shaft already fitted?

If not, what is involved in changing the shaft? Will I need an arbor press?

Thanks for any help.
Telrin is offline Find More Posts by Telrin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2012, 04:59 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
One additional question; if it is not possible to buy it with the long shaft fitted, exactly how long is the standard model from the face of the motor to the end of the shaft?

I am seeing comments that there was a change at some point in this length so I want to be sure what the measurement is on current stock please.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 04:19 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
Guess I'll go buy a different brand then since support seems to be non-existent here.

Pity really as I've heard good reports about the motors, but the standard of 'official' support seems sadly lacking ...
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:11 AM
United States
Joined May 2000
5,151 Posts
This is not a forum they monitor regularly, nor are they obligated to. You can call aero-model at 480-726-7519 and they'll be happy to answer. Posting here is like stapling a poster to a public bulletin board with a question and hoping someone answers.
As for the turnado,.. I'm using several, and had to change the shaft in one after not using locktite to secure the tip to the support bearing in a raptor-G4. It took much longer to take the motor out of the heli than to change the shaft. There are two 4mm setscrews in the end, and you get to them through the cooling fan openings. Remove them, and the circlip on the other end. The bell comes off then and I used my drill press with a small drill bit chucked upside-down to press the shaft out. Could have done it without the drill press but that turned a ton of effort into a 5 second job, and I'm lazy <G>
The original shafts were 38mm from the face of the motor to the tip, then at some point they were changed. I think the length was 33 or 34mm. I believe aero-model has the longer shafts available. Ask mike or Kyle if they would install a longer shaft before shipping it.
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:30 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRIGHT View Post
This is not a forum they monitor regularly, nor are they obligated to.
With respect Gary, this forum wouldn't exist if they hadn't decided to ask for it:

"This forum is privately moderated by aeromodel. RCGroups is not responsible for the content of this forum."

If they don't want to monitor it any more then they should ask for it to be closed down.

I didn't just post in some random electric heli section where indeed it would have been wrong to expect any 'official' reply, I posted in their own support forum.

My thanks for your reply, it confirmed all the details I needed for now.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:58 PM
Ohio
Joined Dec 2009
164 Posts
Wow !
Well then, here's one " Anyone know where the little brass or similar looking washer goes in this chain of parts ?
And Gary, I'm putting together the very same heli with the very same motor, it was your video and G4 info that got me going on this beauty of a heli.
Quote:
not using locktite to secure the tip to the support bearing in a raptor-G4
So where's the spot that should have loctite on that drive shaft ? The longer shaft seems to have plenty of spare length but I'm all ears.
Thank you,Doug
doug47 is offline Find More Posts by doug47
Last edited by doug47; Mar 13, 2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:26 AM
I can fly anything..... Once!
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Feb 2004
1,132 Posts
Doug,
I can tell you that the brass shim goes between the C-Clip and the front bearing on the shaft.

As for the locktite for the third bearing support, I will let Gary chime in here when he can - he's the expert on the new Raptor G4!

Thanks
Mike
FL62 is offline Find More Posts by FL62
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:27 AM
Ohio
Joined Dec 2009
164 Posts
Thanks Mike ! I appreciate that very much. Doug
doug47 is offline Find More Posts by doug47
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:37 AM
United States
Joined May 2000
5,151 Posts
Sorry, been in birmingham for the heli event and visiting mother , thus not checking forumns. You want to use a very strong locking compound (the little tube of red stuff in the G4 kit works well,.. green a bit better but you need a torch to get it off if you use green). Apply a tiny bit to the end of the shaft before putting the support bearing in, and I also put a tiny bit on the inner race of the bearing, using an exacto knife blade to apply it. After curing overnight, I put a touch more on the underside through the opening where the battery goes. Since the shaft has a flat all the way down, you can get a tiny drop in there from the underside and it will wick in. Be sure to not get any in the bearing itself though.

Some additional info on your setup,.. the power system seems to like 20 to 22 degrees timing advance, and I've had success anywhere from 1570 on the head up to 2100 with various gearing and ESC setup. For the way I fly,.. I see 10+ minutes at the lower number and a little less than 5 at the higher number (higher revs are shorter flights and it's not a linear relationship). If you use the 11 tooth pinion and 20 degree advance you'll be limited to a max of about 1800 rpm,.. 1700 governed with a bit of headroom,.. but that's the most efficient configuration if you want log flights. With that gear and down at 1570 I went 12 minutes on numerous occassions, and on some occassions 9 minutes of me, then 5 letting someone else hover it around (hovering takes very very little power).
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT