HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:59 PM
AMA# 1004189
United States, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2012
342 Posts
yah i cut 2" ailerons on the 7" foil on eds vid witch i guess its actually a 9" chord on mine well 9 1/4" after measuring. it has lots of lift and does fly slow. im going to try it with an 8x6 prop this weekend and see how it goes. i changed the angle of the motor on the biplane and and will test that this weekend as well. my little beast will hover im ok at a couple mistakes high but i tried a low hover once and and wound up buying another propshaft. 3d is hard even with a gyro.
conbones is offline Find More Posts by conbones
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:17 AM
AMA# 1004189
Joined Jun 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordosoar View Post

PS. I buy the cheap orange props off eBay at 6 for about $ 3.50 or there about. Depending on What's selling that day. I have a box full of them now. They do break easily.

PPS. I'll try and do a vid of the 3D Noob tomorrow and post it in the afternoon.
6 for 4$!! i pay 3$ a peice for my props and they are sturdy though but heavy.
i would much rather pay 4$ for 6 props just for the weight difference.
im totally looking forward to that vid man good luck and may everything go home in one piece. good night.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:29 AM
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Jul 2011
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averan View Post
Built a great plank (Simitar) using your techniques Ed: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=38

Flew great and was easy to build! So easy I'm going to rebuild it asap.

Any tips on securing batteries? Velcro just isn't doing it for me and with CG being so critical, even a small shift can be disastrous!
I use a small square of Velcro to keep the battery from shifting, but use a Velcro strap to actually hold it in the plane. I think they were called handy ties, they're for holding A/V wires/cables. Home Depot had them in multi colors, 5 for a Buck or two.
sixfins is offline Find More Posts by sixfins
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:05 AM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfins View Post
I use a small square of Velcro to keep the battery from shifting, but use a Velcro strap to actually hold it in the plane. I think they were called handy ties, they're for holding A/V wires/cables. Home Depot had them in multi colors, 5 for a Buck or two.
That's a good tip. I make my own up to do the same thing. I'm cheap.
I buy my Velcro in 4' strips at Wally. Obtw Wally has carbon arrows in for $3.00 ea. if you missed out on getting some when the guy was selling them on eBay.
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:06 AM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conbones View Post
6 for 4$!! i pay 3$ a peice for my props and they are sturdy though but heavy.
i would much rather pay 4$ for 6 props just for the weight difference.
im totally looking forward to that vid man good luck and may everything go home in one piece. good night.
I flew today and did a video of the Tube Addiction. Have to see how it came out and try to post it later. See ya then.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:34 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250622048936...84.m1439.l2649
This is the link to the props.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 06:27 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Hi, I don't think I've posted this before.
It's long and has a lot of crap after the landing, which is where you should stop it.
My Armin wing Funbat (7 min 51 sec)
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:46 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Ok, here is the Noob Tube addiction with the 12" chord wing.
I have another one after this also.
My Armin wing addiction. (4 min 18 sec)
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:50 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
And the second flight of the day.
With a bad landing.
Noob tube addiction (4 min 29 sec)
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:10 PM
AMA# 1004189
Joined Jun 2012
342 Posts
yep yet another noob tube landing you can walk away from and better yet fly again right after, those are nice flying planes, you did a good job on them. Thanks for the demonstrations i enjoyed watching them. Ill have to find a way to mount my big cheap camera to my head.it takes 4 AA's its kind of heavy
Name: 125580361-260x260-0-0_sanyo+vpc+e2100.jpg
Views: 74
Size: 12.6 KB
Description:
Thanks for the links for the props ill definitely buy a few packs of those.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:36 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
672 Posts
Since you're belly landing I'd think you would land on the grass, blacktops a bit hard on belly landings.

After one of those exciting "landings", I've found it a good idea to double check all the servo mountings, sometimes the plane looks fine but a servo is loose on its mount, only to be waiting to mess up your next flight.
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:09 AM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conbones View Post
yep yet another noob tube landing you can walk away from and better yet fly again right after, those are nice flying planes, you did a good job on them. Thanks for the demonstrations i enjoyed watching them. Ill have to find a way to mount my big cheap camera to my head.it takes 4 AA's its kind of heavy
Attachment 5024655
Thanks for the links for the props ill definitely buy a few packs of those.
A guy at the field this morning had a little Key chain camera that was the size of a fob. He says it takes great video and only cost &10.00 on eBay.
Looks like it would just stick to the top of your brim.
Thanks for the cudos on the planes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman26 View Post
Since you're belly landing I'd think you would land on the grass, blacktops a bit hard on belly landings.

After one of those exciting "landings", I've found it a good idea to double check all the servo mountings, sometimes the plane looks fine but a servo is loose on its mount, only to be waiting to mess up your next flight.
Yeah, I always check the whole plane over before I fly again.
The runway isn't blacktop, it's landscaping fabric. Very heavy duty and forgiving.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:51 PM
MD
Joined Aug 2010
85 Posts
Death of Photon

I flew the maiden for my first Ex-Airlines bird today which was a Photon. The build went OK, lots of little mistakes, but nothing that would prevent it from flying. I'm also currently building a Peace Drone.

The launch went good, lots of down trim required. The winds were probably 5 gust 10. I noticed whenever I turned upwind the wings would bend up slightly, maybe 15 degrees, and the plane would climb. On downwind they would relax again, and the plane would descend. The whole flight was flown at about 1/4 throttle.

On one of my upwind circuits I heard a "crack" , but was unsure if it was the plane or the baseball game going on about 200 yards away. As you can guess it was the wooden 1/4" dowel wing spar. The next upwind circuit the wings folded to about a 45 degree angle with another loud crack. At this point I knew what was up and tried to bring her in but the rubber bands let go on the right wing and the wing folded. It was a beautiful lawn dart from about 200' up. Here are some pics of the bird and carnage. Looks like I'll be in the market for some of those carbon arrow shafts
Asymair95 is offline Find More Posts by Asymair95
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:48 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2011
61 Posts
I feel your pain man. That's how I killed one of my first Axons. I too converted from using wooden to arrow shaft after that.
RevJVegas is offline Find More Posts by RevJVegas
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:57 PM
AMA# 1004189
Joined Jun 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asymair95 View Post
I flew the maiden for my first Ex-Airlines bird today which was a Photon. The build went OK, lots of little mistakes, but nothing that would prevent it from flying. I'm also currently building a Peace Drone.

The launch went good, lots of down trim required. The winds were probably 5 gust 10. I noticed whenever I turned upwind the wings would bend up slightly, maybe 15 degrees, and the plane would climb. On downwind they would relax again, and the plane would descend. The whole flight was flown at about 1/4 throttle.

On one of my upwind circuits I heard a "crack" , but was unsure if it was the plane or the baseball game going on about 200 yards away. As you can guess it was the wooden 1/4" dowel wing spar. The next upwind circuit the wings folded to about a 45 degree angle with another loud crack. At this point I knew what was up and tried to bring her in but the rubber bands let go on the right wing and the wing folded. It was a beautiful lawn dart from about 200' up. Here are some pics of the bird and carnage. Looks like I'll be in the market for some of those carbon arrow shafts
ouch man i hope mine dont do that. I just maidened mine today and it flys great i found my new favorite. i didnt have any deflectiion on my wing. i used a smaller motor, a supertiger 400 950kv weight 1.8 oz (50g) 145w swinging a 9x7.5 229x191 apc prop . i landed it three times and no damage at all. the auw is 1lb 12oz with a 2200 mah 3c. Sorry to hear about yours but they fly pretty good dont they? I didnt have to give it but a couple of clicks uptrim and it flew itself just about.here is a coople of pics of mine i just took after i got home.

Name: SANY0001.jpg
Views: 129
Size: 165.3 KB
Description: Name: SANY0003.jpg
Views: 114
Size: 148.7 KB
Description:
Last edited by conbones; Jul 21, 2012 at 10:29 PM.