HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:44 PM
Joined Jul 2012
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordosoar View Post
Your kiddding me, right..?
I don't doubt your word, but that is incredibly light for a plane with a 40" wing and a 25 " fuse.
What kind of battery are you using,,,,,,,, oh, I get it, your plying a little joke on the old man, to get even for me saing my Noob weighed only 19.5 oz.
Ok, I'll play.
I am using a 2s 420mAh battery, 2 5 gram servos, a 8-10 amp ESC, HK T6A receiver and a 20 gram motor. I think that's about right. Oh, and I used a 1" tube for the fuselage.

of course my old kitchen scale may be totally wrong...
g828 is offline Find More Posts by g828
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:21 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by g828 View Post
I am using a 2s 420mAh battery, 2 5 gram servos, a 8-10 amp ESC, HK T6A receiver and a 20 gram motor. I think that's about right. Oh, and I used a 1" tube for the fuselage.

of course my old kitchen scale may be totally wrong...
Ha ha. Ok, that is a very light plane and should hover like a feather.
Let us know how it flies.
Nice job btw, those 1" fuses are a bitch to bend up.
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined Jul 2012
43 Posts
from the short maiden that I did, I have to say I am pretty darn happy with it. It could stand a little more dihedral though. It is definitely not a windy day flier. it flies pretty straight and true, a slight bit underpowered, but that will have to do.

I absolutely love the durability of the armin wing and the ExAir fuselage! I accidentally crashed into a stone/plaster wall of a house/yard and no damage at all to the plane! I expected the front to be torn off like my other models not using the Ex air fuselage, but not a scratch!

oh, and thanks! it was a little hard bending it up. I got some creases into the fuselage by accident, but nothing major to compromise structural strength.

Yay for Experimental Airlines!
g828 is offline Find More Posts by g828
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:01 PM
AMA# 1004189
United States, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2012
342 Posts
well to windy to fly today but thats ok i didnt get my parts till today so i didnt finish the bipe last night like i wanted we will try for tomorrow on that. but since i was board last night i built a photon Name: SANY0191.jpg
Views: 116
Size: 213.1 KB
Description: minus electronics ofc.
conbones is offline Find More Posts by conbones
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:16 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conbones View Post
well to windy to fly today but thats ok i didnt get my parts till today so i didnt finish the bipe last night like i wanted we will try for tomorrow on that. but since i was board last night i built a photon Attachment 5009213 minus electronics ofc.
You have the bug.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:20 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordosoar View Post
Hi Wingman, when Ed talks about the wing chord, he is referring to the wing without the ailerons.
The wing chord is a straight line between the leading edge and trailing edge of the wing, Ed does it different, but he always mentions that in his videos, its fine, its his way of doing things. It can be confusing since when you look at specs for aircraft anywhere else, the chord includes the ailerons, almost all full size aircraft use what is commonly called barn door ailerons, which are actually recessed into the wing, instead of the strip ailerons so commonly used on models.

http://aviationglossary.com/mean-aerodynamic-chord/
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:25 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman26 View Post
The wing chord is a straight line between the leading edge and trailing edge of the wing, Ed does it different, but he always mentions that in his videos, its fine, its his way of doing things. It can be confusing since when you look at specs for aircraft anywhere else, the chord includes the ailerons, almost all full size aircraft use what is commonly called barn door ailerons, which are actually recessed into the wing, instead of the strip ailerons so commonly used on models.

Yeah, I always use the total of the LE to TE when I figure the CG.
Seems to work well.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:23 PM
Joined May 2012
155 Posts
Hi Guys
Just wanted to say I like the bi planes here as of late.
I wanted to add a tip on measuring the wing or fuse to keep it the same I use a combination square when repeating the measurement down a wing or fuse. Even if your 5 and 1/32 you will be all the way down so that is good compared to 5 on one end and 5 1/16 on the other or worse you mis read and off worse.
As always I enjoy reading and leaning here.
I hope to balance the Axon with the wing on the bottom and see what happens I have a 7 1/4" wing +1 1/2" of ailerons. So will look for around 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 range if I'm hearing you right. Spare and thickest part is at 2".
IAFoamie is offline Find More Posts by IAFoamie
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:47 PM
Joined May 2012
19 Posts
Battery Installation

Hi Guys,

Sorry to continue to be such a noob, but I'm wondering if any of you folks might be able to share with me the most common / best practice for securing the battery inside these foam-tube fuselage aircraft. Double side velcro comes to mind...or is there a better way?

Thanks again to any guys who might be able to clue me in!

Noel
Imbroglio is offline Find More Posts by Imbroglio
Old Jul 15, 2012, 02:51 AM
United States, WA, Pullman
Joined Aug 2011
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbroglio View Post
Hi Guys,

Sorry to continue to be such a noob, but I'm wondering if any of you folks might be able to share with me the most common / best practice for securing the battery inside these foam-tube fuselage aircraft. Double side velcro comes to mind...or is there a better way?

Noel
I find that velcro works very well, I prefer the Velcro brand "Industrial" strength velcro, it's white (not black) and if you live in the US you can pick it up at Wally World in the craft/sewing section. Other than that velcro straps, tape, and gift cards are all good ways of securing it. You could even go to the lengths of making a battery compartment out of foamboard, but I like to use a long strip of one side of the velcro on the fuselage and enough to cover ~60% of the battery so that it is easy to adjust if your plane is too nose/tail heavy.
Wabball is offline Find More Posts by Wabball
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:19 AM
AMA# 1004189
United States, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2012
342 Posts
yep i would go with the Velcro i finished my bipe. i have all the linkage buttoned up i purchased some goodys and made some nice popsicle stick control horns, there is no play in the linkage its good and tight installed the velcro straps for my battery instaled the motor and esc. the motor is a SuperTigre .10 (SUPG8050) , 1250 kv, weighs 69g or 2.4oz, 370w max surge, 320w constant running a 9x7.5 apc prop im using a Eflite 30-Amp pro brushless esc with switch-mode bec & advanced programing, 3 9g Hitec HS-81 servos and 1 5g HS-55 servo only because the hobby shop was out of the 9g servos (bummer) but the hs55 will work as the elevator servo for a couple flights and the shop should have some more servos by then. i have a spectrum ar600 receiver in it now but i may swap it out with the ar6210 with the sat receiver that's in my noobtube. and powering it all is a skylipo 2200 mah 3s battery. and that sums up the bipe i would give you AUW but i too have a kitchen scale that doesn't exceed 16oz and im to lazy to weigh it all separate. my best guess is it weighs around 800-850 grams. hopefully i can get someone to come film the maiden flight, here are more pics Name: SANY0202.jpg
Views: 89
Size: 152.5 KB
Description: Name: SANY0198.jpg
Views: 86
Size: 128.7 KB
Description: Name: SANY0197.jpg
Views: 95
Size: 171.2 KB
Description: Name: SANY0196.jpg
Views: 87
Size: 176.5 KB
Description: Name: SANY0195.jpg
Views: 92
Size: 160.4 KB
Description:
conbones is offline Find More Posts by conbones
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:59 AM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman26 View Post

Does anyone know if the cog calculator for flying wings includes the elevon width in the calculator for tip and root chord measurements? I suspect that it does cause my wing suffered a pretty good thump on its nose on its maiden so its back in for repairs now. It was obviously nose heavy when I glide tested it but I went for it anyway. Figuring it without elevons and then after the fact with the elevons was 1/2 inch difference. I'm new to flying wings but I'm gonna get one up if I have to build 30 of them and throw them off a cliff.
Low and Slow is offline Find More Posts by Low and Slow
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:40 AM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
458 Posts
I have another question while I am thinking of it. I have my wing setup with a 1400 kv motor turning an 8x4 prop. I could also use a 2200 kv motor with a 6x4 prop. I have both. Would there be any advantage to one motor over the other? The motors weigh the same
Low and Slow is offline Find More Posts by Low and Slow
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:08 AM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbroglio View Post
Hi Guys,

Noel
Yeah, Velcro. I also put a piece of foam in front and in back of the battery to keep it from moving around in a bad landing and also be able to get it in the same place every time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabball View Post
I find that velcro works very well, I prefer the Velcro brand "Industrial" strength velcro, it's white (not black) and if you live in the US you can pick it up at Wally World in the craft/sewing section. Other than that velcro straps, tape, and gift cards are all good ways of securing it. You could even go to the lengths of making a battery compartment out of foamboard, but I like to use a long strip of one side of the velcro on the fuselage and enough to cover ~60% of the battery so that it is easy to adjust if your plane is too nose/tail heavy.
Heavy duty Velcro, bought by the yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conbones View Post
yep i would go with the Velcro i finished my bipe. i have all the linkage buttoned up i purchased some goodys and made some nice popsicle stick control horns, there is no play in the linkage its good and tight installed the velcro straps for my battery instaled the motor and esc. the motor is a SuperTigre .10 (SUPG8050) , 1250 kv, weighs 69g or 2.4oz, 370w max surge, 320w constant running a 9x7.5 apc prop im using a Eflite 30-Amp pro brushless esc with switch-mode bec & advanced programing, 3 9g Hitec HS-81 servos and 1 5g HS-55 servo only because the hobby shop was out of the 9g servos (bummer) but the hs55 will work as the elevator servo for a couple flights and the shop should have some more servos by then. i have a spectrum ar600 receiver in it now but i may swap it out with the ar6210 with the sat receiver that's in my noobtube. and powering it all is a skylipo 2200 mah 3s battery. and that sums up the bipe i would give you AUW but i too have a kitchen scale that doesn't exceed 16oz and im to lazy to weigh it all separate. my best guess is it weighs around 800-850 grams. hopefully i can get someone to come film the maiden flight, here are more pics Attachment 5010392Attachment 5010393Attachment 5010394Attachment 5010395Attachment 5010396
That's about what mine weighs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low and Slow View Post
Does anyone know if the cog calculator for flying wings includes the elevon width in the calculator for tip and root chord measurements? I suspect that it does cause my wing suffered a pretty good thump on its nose on its maiden so its back in for repairs now. It was obviously nose heavy when I glide tested it but I went for it anyway. Figuring it without elevons and then after the fact with the elevons was 1/2 inch difference. I'm new to flying wings but I'm gonna get one up if I have to build 30 of them and throw them off a cliff.
Also, you need to have a lot of reflex in the elevators for it to fly right.
By reflex I mean up elevator. Maybe 1/4" this is a pre setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low and Slow View Post
I have another question while I am thinking of it. I have my wing setup with a 1400 kv motor turning an 8x4 prop. I could also use a 2200 kv motor with a 6x4 prop. I have both. Would there be any advantage to one motor over the other? The motors weigh the same
I think the 2200 Kv will fly faster.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:13 AM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
My Birthday today so I won't be around much.
Motorcycle ride, dinner out, annual mating ritual.
See ya all later.