HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:24 PM
AMA# 1004189
conbones's Avatar
United States, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2012
342 Posts
i dont know how far there is
conbones is offline Find More Posts by conbones
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:26 PM
AMA# 1004189
conbones's Avatar
United States, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2012
342 Posts
how far are you from me?
conbones is offline Find More Posts by conbones
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:46 PM
Ichy to Build and Fly.
rnmosaic's Avatar
United States, FL, Davie
Joined Feb 2011
199 Posts
Hi Gordosoar,

I am done with my bi-plane and did maiden last weekend. After some quick fixing with trims and battery location, it is a pussy cat to fly ... what a great and comfortable plane to fly it ....

Here are some pictures... Look at the motor mount ... found this way to be extremely easy to mount...

- Mosaic
rnmosaic is online now Find More Posts by rnmosaic
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:03 PM
Quadraholic
Gordosoar's Avatar
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conbones View Post
how far are you from me?
Down the coust near Crystal River.
I'm not sure how far it is but I'll can check it out.

300 miles. 5 hr 30 minutes.
Further than I thought.
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
Last edited by Gordosoar; Jul 10, 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:31 PM
Quadraholic
Gordosoar's Avatar
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnmosaic View Post
Hi Gordosoar,

I am done with my bi-plane and did maiden last weekend. After some quick fixing with trims and battery location, it is a pussy cat to fly ... what a great and comfortable plane to fly it ....

Here are some pictures... Look at the motor mount ... found this way to be extremely easy to mount...

- Mosaic
They are wonderful planes to fly.
I'm happy your having a good time with it.
Great for aerobatics also.
Another great innovation on motor mounting. Looks like I'll have to rethink the way I've been doing it.
Now all you need is a cowling and your in business. If you build up the sides around the nose and than shape it round, you can find a plastic bottle bottom or $tree bat to fit over the nose. It really makes a big difference in the way it look and I have not noticed any change in the way it handles.
I posted some photos a way back on the way I did it but I'm sure you can come up with something that will work for you.
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:24 AM
Registered User
templton89's Avatar
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordosoar View Post
Also, I find that balancing the prop in mandatory if you want a smooth running motor. I have seen motors come compleatly off a plane because of an out of balence prop. Along with a balanced prop, you need to make sure the prop fits the prop shaft snugly. No slop there which would negate the balence of the prop. I like them Dubro balencer for around $25.00.
Don't get one of the cheap ones you hold between your fingers.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Dubro-Tr...217d189&_uhb=1
Honestly I never understood why those ballancers cost as much as they do, so I just bought these 2 parts and made my own stand. I had a bunch of magnets lying around, but even if you had to buy them, total cost would be still under $10

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:L:OC:US:3160

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:L:OC:US:3160
templton89 is offline Find More Posts by templton89
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:41 AM
Quadraholic
Gordosoar's Avatar
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by templton89 View Post
Honestly I never understood why those ballancers cost as much as they do, so I just bought these 2 parts and made my own stand. I had a bunch of magnets lying around, but even if you had to buy them, total cost would be still under $10

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:L:OC:US:3160

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:L:OC:US:3160
Where we're you before I bought my balancer?
More like $13 but who's counting.
Would you please show us all how you made the whole thing work.
I wouldn't mind having another balencer.
I'll bet the magnetic one has less frictional resistance.
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:45 AM
Registered User
templton89's Avatar
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
I'll try and take some pictures this weekend. Mine is magnetic too, I used magnets from old motor that fell apart

PS I was buying a bunch of items from that store, combined shipping came out to be almost free so it was still under $10
templton89 is offline Find More Posts by templton89
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:50 AM
Quadraholic
Gordosoar's Avatar
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by templton89 View Post
I'll try and take some pictures this weekend. Mine is magnetic too, I used magnets from old motor that fell apart

PS I was buying a bunch of items from that store, combined shipping came out to be almost free so it was still under $10
Ah so grasshopper.
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:16 AM
Registered User
jetcommander's Avatar
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Hereīs our Noobie, which I built together with my 13 year old son, he is as crazy about RC and EA as I am and he wanted to have a Noob. Auw is 830g (29.2oz) with an 1800 Mah lipo, the foam board over here is not as light as the dollar tree board. I carved off a piece on the underside of the fuse and it immediately saved me 22 grams! I know someone who is flying one with 850 grams so Iīm hoping all will be well.

It has a C3530 1000kv motor which delivers 220 watts and swings a 9 x 4.7 Prop, wing Span is 32" the chord is 5" plus 2" control surfaces, I mounted the motor on 1/8 plywood, hot glued at the back and epoxied at the front. The hatch is with wooden popsicle sticks and a magnet, so no hinges and nothing to get loose.

Thatīs just about it, will post a video once we get some decent weather, the sun came out for the photos but thereīs a lot of rain around and our field is completely water logged. Thankyou Ed and all forum members for your kind help, itīs much appreciated.
jetcommander is offline Find More Posts by jetcommander
Last edited by jetcommander; Jul 11, 2012 at 11:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:17 PM
Quadraholic
Gordosoar's Avatar
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcommander View Post
Hereīs our Noobie, which I built together with my 13 year old son, he is as crazy about RC and EA as I am and he wanted to have a Noob. Auw is 830g (29.2oz) with an 1800 Mah lipo, the foam board over here is not as light as the dollar tree board. I carved off a piece on the underside of the fuse and it immediately saved me 22 grams! I know someone who is flying one with 850 grams so Iīm hoping all will be well.

It has a C3530 1000kv motor which delivers 220 watts and swings a 9 x 4.7 Prop, wing Span is 32" the chord is 5" plus 2" control surfaces, I mounted the motor on 1/8 plywood, hot glued at the back and epoxied at the front. The hatch is with wooden popsicle sticks and a magnet, so no hinges and nothing to get loose.

Thatīs just about it, will post a video once we get some decent weather, the sun came out for the photos but thereīs a lot of rain around and our field is completely water logged. Thankyou Ed and all forum members for your kind help, itīs much appreciated.
That is one hell of a nice job you did on that. It's absolutely beautiful.
The fuse looks like its been fiberglassed. What else would you expect for a German. I have an SL500. And a Z3 .
With that motor it will fly great, no worries. If you feel the need for more thrust, go to a 10x6 or 10x5 or some thing in a 10" prop. . I noticed a big difference in vertical clime over the 9x6.
I know you will love it. Go easy on the control settings at first, it's a frisky devil.
It's also CG sensitive, so once you find a good spot for the battery make sure you put it there everytime.
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 04:08 PM
Registered User
jetcommander's Avatar
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Thanks for your kind words Gordosoar, will it be O.K. to get a bigger prop? it wonīt fry or anything will it? thatīs all new to me/us it would be nice to make a comparison. Will the motor have to work a lot harder?
BTW I love the Z3 itīs a very cool car! the Germans sure know how to make good cars :-) I drive a vintage Triumph myself perhaps because Iīm from London, no sir Iīm not a German but my wife and kids are, thanks for the tips.
jetcommander is offline Find More Posts by jetcommander
Last edited by jetcommander; Jul 11, 2012 at 05:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I can CRA$H that!
thndr1mj's Avatar
United States, GA, Dallas
Joined Dec 2010
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcommander View Post
Hereīs our Noobie, which I built together with my 13 year old son, he is as crazy about RC and EA as I am and he wanted to have a Noob. Auw is 830g (29.2oz) with an 1800 Mah lipo, the foam board over here is not as light as the dollar tree board. I carved off a piece on the underside of the fuse and it immediately saved me 22 grams! I know someone who is flying one with 850 grams so Iīm hoping all will be well.

It has a C3530 1000kv motor which delivers 220 watts and swings a 9 x 4.7 Prop, wing Span is 32" the chord is 5" plus 2" control surfaces, I mounted the motor on 1/8 plywood, hot glued at the back and epoxied at the front. The hatch is with wooden popsicle sticks and a magnet, so no hinges and nothing to get loose.

Thatīs just about it, will post a video once we get some decent weather, the sun came out for the photos but thereīs a lot of rain around and our field is completely water logged. Thankyou Ed and all forum members for your kind help, itīs much appreciated.

Nice job! Great looking plane.
thndr1mj is offline Find More Posts by thndr1mj
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:38 PM
Quadraholic
Gordosoar's Avatar
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcommander View Post
Thanks for your kind words Gordosoar, I think I will get myself a bigger prop to make a comparison anyway thatīs a good tip. BTW I love the Z3 itīs a very cool car! the Germans sure know how to make good cars :-) I drive a vintage Triumph myself perhaps because Iīm from London, no sir Iīm not a German but my wife and kids are, thanks for the tips.
Oh my mistake. Maybe it has rubbed off on you.
I had a few Triumphs back in the day. 64 Spitfire and a TR 3. Also had a 62 AH
Sprit in 63. Loved the mini Ccopper I had in NZ in 64. All gone now, wish I had a few of them today.
Your welcom,
G
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:40 PM
Registered User
jetcommander's Avatar
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Hey Gordosoar, can you please tell me what effect the larger prop will have on the motor itself, will it have to work hard and get hot, this is all new stuff for me.
jetcommander is offline Find More Posts by jetcommander
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log SEW-SLO 30" Foamboard Wing Atx_Heli Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 59 Oct 18, 2014 06:22 AM
Build Log SEW-SLO 30" Foamboard Wing Atx_Heli Flying Wings 0 May 19, 2011 09:47 PM
Question So I have a sheet of $Tree foamboard... what to build? Bomb Dropper Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 15 Mar 23, 2011 02:49 PM
Discussion EDF/Motor for University Design Project uwpropulsionguy Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 0 Mar 06, 2011 03:24 PM