HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:28 PM
Yeah, I can CRA$H that!
United States, GA, Dallas
Joined Dec 2010
141 Posts
The Fug Jet is recruiting new builders/pilots

Took the jet back out to the park today and got two flyers starting to build their own.

Fugly Jet aka "The Recruiter" (3 min 25 sec)
thndr1mj is offline Find More Posts by thndr1mj
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:36 PM
AMA# 1004189
United States, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabball View Post

My question to the forum is, how can I make sure that the gift card/motor mount is secured to the plane well? I don't want it coming off mid-flight, but do want the metal to be able to come off of the gift card in a crash. Is the plastic-to-duct tape bond not very strong with hot glue? For instance can I use CA glue or JB Weld or Gorilla Glue? I don't have Gorilla Glue but do have the others. I can easily pick it up though. My main concern is melting the duct tape or the nose.

If you got this far, thank you for reading. I hope someone can get back to me on this so I can fly today or tomorrow

Have an ice day!
I would sugest you remove the tape from foam before hot gluing the card to the fuse . it will bond stronger that way. Gorilla glue works very well to.

i got prop bit a couple of days ago but my hand stoped the prop. luckily i dulled the prop on concrete minutes before so i didnt cut anyting off but the cuts are still to the bone. i little neosporin tape and gauz and all fixed up. always remember to disarm the moter if your going to turn your attention away from it. not doing so could make for a harsh lesson. lol...
conbones is offline Find More Posts by conbones
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:53 PM
AMA# 1004189
Joined Jun 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordosoar View Post
I really like the idea of using pop sticks as a motor mount. I've been cutting a piece of light ply and gluing it to the front of the fuse. With the pop sticks I don't have to cut holes in the mount for air intake. Plus I like the way it lets you recess the motor for a cleaner look.
Great job on your first Noob.

This is off topic but worth a look
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?f...&v=2aCOyOvOw5c
i flirted with the idea of light ply and was going to go out back in the shop to cut it but it was hot out and i got a popsicle before i went and needless to say never went out back. now i question if the foam backing was even necessary the sticks are plenty strong and alignment is a breeze.
awesome vid btw thanks for sharing.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:00 PM
AMA# 1004189
Joined Jun 2012
342 Posts
@ gordo
where can i veiw the contest video submissions? i like to see the bipes. i love bipes and would like to buid one with the armin.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:08 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low and Slow View Post
I have a question for you Gordosoar, do you have a link to anything related to your funbat? I want to build one next and any info and pics you got I'd sure like to look at. I have a 2200 kv motor that needs a home and I think an armin wing funbat would be cool.
Go to you tube and type in Funbat.
I have pictures of my Armin Funbat on my other computer and will post them tomorrow for you but I think if you go back a few pages, you should find the pics.
I flew mine today and it's always fun to fly. I wish I could get some of the other guys to build one so we could do combat.
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:15 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conbones View Post
i flirted with the idea of light ply and was going to go out back in the shop to cut it but it was hot out and i got a popsicle before i went and needless to say never went out back. now i question if the foam backing was even necessary the sticks are plenty strong and alignment is a breeze.
awesome vid btw thanks for sharing.
Yeah, I was wondering what the foam was for.
The one thing I like about the ply over the front of the fuse, is that it adds a lot of stiffness to the fuse. The fuse deforms easily so I use cross pop sticks at the back of the fuse to keep it square.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:18 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Quote:
@ gordo
where can i veiw the contest video submissions? i like to see the bipes. i love bipes and would like to buid one with the armin.
Go back a few pages. Ed reposted it. I'll see if I ca fine it for you..
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:02 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Quote:
@ gordo
Ok, I found it.
Go to YouTube and type in scratch build contest winner.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:36 AM
Fly-by-nite operator
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined May 2012
17 Posts
Quick question about forming bends. I made myself one of Ed's "Fast Foamboard Delta Wings". It actually flies quite well, however I am having some trouble with the bends used to form the vertical stabilizers. Despite scoring, folding and glueing as per Ed's videos, I couldn't get them to stay bent at 90%, the hot glue would not hold them in place - they tend to bend back downwards somewhat. In the end I have had to brace them with a bit of tape which doesn't look nice, is not too strong, and is probably affecting the aerodynamics.

Any ideas?
harmic is offline Find More Posts by harmic
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:58 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2011
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmic View Post
Quick question about forming bends. I made myself one of Ed's "Fast Foamboard Delta Wings". It actually flies quite well, however I am having some trouble with the bends used to form the vertical stabilizers. Despite scoring, folding and glueing as per Ed's videos, I couldn't get them to stay bent at 90%, the hot glue would not hold them in place - they tend to bend back downwards somewhat. In the end I have had to brace them with a bit of tape which doesn't look nice, is not too strong, and is probably affecting the aerodynamics.

Any ideas?
Perhaps try using bamboo skewers as a cross-brace.

I sometimes use them on my rear vertical stabilizer when I want it to have more rigidity.

Maybe you could also use a gift card. Cut a piece of it and glue it diagonally from the stabilizer to the wing.
RevJVegas is offline Find More Posts by RevJVegas
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:51 PM
Joined Jul 2012
5 Posts
I am getting ready to build my first plane and was hoping for some guidance. I would like to be able to use the 3s1p a123 packs I already have, but can not figure out which one of Ed's designs and what size would be best. I am guessing that I will end up having to make something with about a 40" wingspan, but I could be off. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
sknnyftn is offline Find More Posts by sknnyftn
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:31 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2011
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknnyftn View Post
I am getting ready to build my first plane and was hoping for some guidance. I would like to be able to use the 3s1p a123 packs I already have, but can not figure out which one of Ed's designs and what size would be best. I am guessing that I will end up having to make something with about a 40" wingspan, but I could be off. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
I had to google that one as I am not familar with that battery.
Are these the correct specs for the battery you mention?
Quote:
Nominal Voltage
9.9 V
Capacity
2.3 Ah
Size
3.2" (82 mm) x 1.2" (30 mm) x 2.95" (75 mm)
Pack Weight
9 oz (255 grams)
While the capacity looks good, I think your challenge is going to be the voltage and somewhat the weight.

A turnigy 2.2Ah 3s lipo comes in around 200 grams, so it is pretty close, but that voltage is just a little more than that of a lipo 2s, so sizing the motor will be the question.

Also don't see what the discharge rating is for that battery, so that too would play a role in how many watts it can safely deliver.

Honestly, my .02 ...go ahead and pickup one or two 3s Lipo's if you'll be ordering the other electronics anyway and make it easier on yourself all around.
RevJVegas is offline Find More Posts by RevJVegas
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Jul 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevJVegas View Post
I had to google that one as I am not familar with that battery.
Are these the correct specs for the battery you mention?

While the capacity looks good, I think your challenge is going to be the voltage and somewhat the weight.

A turnigy 2.2Ah 3s lipo comes in around 200 grams, so it is pretty close, but that voltage is just a little more than that of a lipo 2s, so sizing the motor will be the question.

Also don't see what the discharge rating is for that battery, so that too would play a role in how many watts it can safely deliver.

Honestly, my .02 ...go ahead and pickup one or two 3s Lipo's if you'll be ordering the other electronics anyway and make it easier on yourself all around.
Yes those are the correct battery specs. As for discharge they can handle 30C continuous and 60C 10 sec bursts. The reason I want to stick with them is the quick recharge times you can get by "zip charging" (<10min) and the increased safety over LiPos.
sknnyftn is offline Find More Posts by sknnyftn
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:07 PM
United States, WA, Pullman
Joined Aug 2011
26 Posts
power plant problems...

OK, so my "new" noob tube was almost up in the air today. I tossed it and when I gave it 3/4 throttle - the motor mount somehow came off for the 3rd time. So I went home disappointed and made a yet even stronger, vibration-reducing motor mount because I thought vibration was the problem. It looks good, but my problem is not solved.

I used to use the Turnigy Park 480 (1320kv, 275W) motor, but recently wanted to save weight, so I put on the Turnigy D2826/6 motor (1400kv, 205W). I also ordered some Turnigy Nanotech 3S 25/50C batteries because I heard they were good. I used to use Sky Lipo 2200 3S 25/35C batteries.
The ESC I use is a Turnigy Plush 30A

I did tests on my plane after I received my watt meter. With the Park 480 at full throttle with an 8x4 prop it pulls ~19-21 Amps. This is reasonable considering the kv rating.
When I hooked up the D2826/6 motor, I found it was pulling 25A at 60% throttle

The motor is turning counterclockwise looking from nose to tail, and the lettering on the prop is facing forward. What is going wrong? Could it be the new batteries? My friend has the same motor in his noob tube but with an HK Red Brick 25A ESC and Sky Lipo 2200 3S like I have. I will do some tests with the other battery, because I think the nanotechs are my issue. Should I size down the prop, or is that not my problem?

Edit: I just tested with the Sky Lipos, and it was a little better; only about 17A at 50% throttle, but when it gets into 75% range it seems to be spinning faster than it should, and makes a very loud noise. Any suggestions? I still want to be able to use my new batteries but don't want to have to change motors unless it is absolutely necessary.

The thing that gets me is that Ed uses the same motor, same battery, same size ESC, and an 8x3.8 prop, and he has no trouble. Maybe someone can straighten this out for me.
Wabball is offline Find More Posts by Wabball
Last edited by Wabball; Jul 09, 2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:11 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
672 Posts
Quote:
This is off topic but worth a look
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?f...&v=2aCOyOvOw5c
That is an awesome video!
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Last edited by Wingman26; Jul 09, 2012 at 07:37 PM.