SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:39 AM
United States, WI, Oconomowoc
Joined Feb 2011
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thndr1mj View Post
My Fug Jet contribution.

http://youtu.be/ANdN-mcviy0
FLY FLY FLY.....yes she will!...Great job getting back into the air, and nice build.... Looks like you nailed down a great landing... ConGrats on the maiden. Can't wait to see what's next...every one gets hooked GdLK Bud and keep em flyin!
ddog343 is offline Find More Posts by ddog343
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:41 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2011
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman26 View Post
I see you ran into that hard and fast rule, no two objects can occupy the same space at the same time! While we might try to violate that rule, the violation has negative consequences!

...at least it's entertaining though

A little hot glue surgery and I was out flying her this AM again.
RevJVegas is offline Find More Posts by RevJVegas
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:24 PM
Yeah, I can CRA$H that!
United States, GA, Dallas
Joined Dec 2010
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog343 View Post
FLY FLY FLY.....yes she will!...Great job getting back into the air, and nice build.... Looks like you nailed down a great landing... ConGrats on the maiden. Can't wait to see what's next...every one gets hooked GdLK Bud and keep em flyin!

Thanks ddog, I ordered the motor we talked about from HURC. The Noob Tube will be next. I gotta go mow the grass so I can get started on the build
thndr1mj is offline Find More Posts by thndr1mj
Old Jul 07, 2012, 01:31 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevJVegas View Post
...at least it's entertaining though

A little hot glue surgery and I was out flying her this AM again.
Hey, is El Diablo Rojo a symmetrical wing? I am interested to see how you built the wing.
Chris
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:32 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2011
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1379 View Post
Hey, is El Diablo Rojo a symmetrical wing? I am interested to see how you built the wing.
Chris
Nope, regular Armin airfoil shape, only tapered.
I did a video showing how I did mine here:
Tapered Wing (5 min 26 sec)

In the video, I make a 10x5, but using the same method made 6x4 for the Diablo.
RevJVegas is offline Find More Posts by RevJVegas
Old Jul 07, 2012, 05:15 PM
Gone Fly'n
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2007
289 Posts
Great wing design...been toying with a similar idea, but to make accurate wings to fit warbirds
planecrazy1969 is offline Find More Posts by planecrazy1969
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:03 AM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
431 Posts
Here is my new build using Templeton's bajiwing template and Neider's ideas along with Eds' Armin wing design. I used double pink foam formers in the wing tapered from 3/4 to 3/8 at the tips. It has Ed's 1400 kv motor from rctimer and the suggested 8x3.8 prop. Hopefully get it in the air tomorrow. I like the orange on top with black on the bottom I already lost two white ghost planes because like a dummy I had them too far away and lost orientation. Hopefully this thing flies.

I am using an 1800 3s battery and it's auw is 20 ounces even. It has a 40 inch wingspan.
Low and Slow is online now Find More Posts by Low and Slow
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:01 AM
AMA# 1004189
United States, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2012
342 Posts
thanks ed

man my hat comes off for you ED. your designs are very user friendly and quite educational i learned a lot. I decided to build the noobtube on a whim last night so i could take it to the park today and i must say the maiden flight was a great success and a lot of fun to fly. It is extremely responsive requires a light touch on the sticks. i used the 7" foil , foam and Popsicle stix motor mount , gift cards and foam marker flag wire and gorilla glue white
for landing gear. the landing gear is just taped on with extreme packing tape. i love your modular idea its genius! here are a few pics
.Name: SANY0072.jpg
Views: 144
Size: 140.8 KB
Description: Name: SANY0073.jpg
Views: 173
Size: 142.6 KB
Description: Name: SANY0074.jpg
Views: 158
Size: 172.1 KB
Description: Name: SANY0075.jpg
Views: 134
Size: 118.5 KB
Description: thanks.
conbones is offline Find More Posts by conbones
Last edited by conbones; Jul 08, 2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:31 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7 Posts
Photon and Twin boom contest entry

Sorry if this has been posted somewhere else, but I would like the specs for the Proton motor glider and the Twin boom contest entry plane.
Love the thread and I'm just getting into Ed's designs and University.
Thanks,
FlyinBlind
FlyinBlind is offline Find More Posts by FlyinBlind
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:48 AM
Joined Feb 2012
431 Posts
You need to follow his links on you tube. Here is the link he's got a lot of videos
PHOTON - Electronics (12 min 34 sec)
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:49 AM
Joined Feb 2012
431 Posts
OOps I didn't know it would imbed like that click the you tube button at the bottom right of the screen shot and get to you tube to see all his videos
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:26 AM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordosoar View Post
Ok, I'm going to ignor your comments and get to the heart of the matter.
You built a Noob Tube and you're concerned that it doesn't weigh the same as Ed says it should. Is that correct?
No two planes will ever weigh the same. There will always be some difference for what ever reason. If its close to Ed's, put a motor on it and go fly.
Ed has done a wonderful job of documenting the building of the Noob Tube, if you built yours anything like Ed's, it will fly great with almost and size motor around 200 watts. Mine has a 240 on it and will go straight up out of sight.
Thankyou.
jetcommander is offline Find More Posts by jetcommander
Last edited by jetcommander; Jul 08, 2012 at 04:44 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:50 AM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conbones View Post
man my hat comes off for you ED. your designs are very user friendly and quite educational i learned a lot. I decided to build the noobtube on a whim last night so i could take it to the park today and i must say the maiden flight was a great success and a lot of fun to fly. It is extremely responsive requires a light touch on the sticks. i used the 7" foil , foam and Popsicle stix motor mount , gift cards and foam marker flag wire and gorilla glue white
for landing gear. the landing gear is just taped on with extreme packing tape. i love your modular idea its genius! here are a few pics
.Attachment 4994348Attachment 4994349Attachment 4994350Attachment 4994351 thanks.
I really like the idea of using pop sticks as a motor mount. I've been cutting a piece of light ply and gluing it to the front of the fuse. With the pop sticks I don't have to cut holes in the mount for air intake. Plus I like the way it lets you recess the motor for a cleaner look.
Great job on your first Noob.

This is off topic but worth a look
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?f...&v=2aCOyOvOw5c
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
Last edited by Gordosoar; Jul 08, 2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:04 PM
Joined Feb 2012
431 Posts
I have a question for you Gordosoar, do you have a link to anything related to your funbat? I want to build one next and any info and pics you got I'd sure like to look at. I have a 2200 kv motor that needs a home and I think an armin wing funbat would be cool.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:45 PM
United States, WA, Pullman
Joined Aug 2011
26 Posts
Help...?!

This is going to be a little long but bear with me.
Ok, here's the deal. I just had my 3rd flight on my noob tube, and unfortunately a bit of pilot error and a gust of wind sent it barreling into the ground. I was only one mistake high and made 2+ mistakes. Luckily though, the only parts damaged were the fuselage, motor mount, and one wire on the esc (which came off at a solder joint ) This crash was not nearly as heart-breaking as my other plane when it crashed. I was kind of like "oh that's too bad" and it only took ~$2 to fix. Thanks again Ed.

I built a new fuselage that night thanks to the simplicity of the build, and tapered the nose and tail like the fuglyjet. The following day I put all of the parts back on and added a landing gear to hopefully make the orientation easier to identify and cushion the motor mount on landings.

This morning, I was hoping to go fly, so I started off making the final adjustments to my plane. I checked the controls, did a range check, and when I tested the throttle the motor was spinning the wrong direction. It's an easy fix but when I went to set the plane down, somehow the throttle bumped up to an "idle" speed and caught my thumb in the process.

I then proceeded to fix my wounds and change the motor direction. I went to test which prop/battery to use on it and put a 1300mah 3s in it while holding my watt meter and eased up the throttle. When I got 2/3 up on the stick, the entire motor/mount/gift card apparatus went flying across my kitchen

It is an understatement that this has not been going as smoothly as possible. From the pictures you can see that the gift card was mounted to duct tape, and the aluminum mount to the card with the 3M double-sided outdoor mounting tape that Ed recommends. I only put two small pieces so it could come off easier in a nose-in and not crumple the aluminum like last time when I had a full strip. I recently ordered the Turnigy 1400kv 205W motor Ed uses for some reason, and decided it was a better fit than the 1320kv 275W Park 480 I had on there (in terms of weight).

My question to the forum is, how can I make sure that the gift card/motor mount is secured to the plane well? I don't want it coming off mid-flight, but do want the metal to be able to come off of the gift card in a crash. Is the plastic-to-duct tape bond not very strong with hot glue? For instance can I use CA glue or JB Weld or Gorilla Glue? I don't have Gorilla Glue but do have the others. I can easily pick it up though. My main concern is melting the duct tape or the nose.

If you got this far, thank you for reading. I hope someone can get back to me on this so I can fly today or tomorrow

Have an ice day!
Wabball is offline Find More Posts by Wabball
Last edited by Wabball; Jul 08, 2012 at 02:50 PM.