SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:13 AM
Quadraholic
Gordosoar's Avatar
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJC View Post
Did you cut the lower wing to fit the fuse, or cut the fuse to fit the wing? What's the AUW?

You should make a cowl for the motor with a tube big enough to slip over the front of the fuselage. Use a constrasting color and cut the end that slips over the fuse into an ornate shape.

A setup like this is just begging for LEDs.
I cut the lower wing to fit the fuse, i think it was the easier way to go.

here is what I came up with for the cowling.
as you can see i cut the end off a $ tree bat and had to add some foam around the fuse and cut to shape.Name: IMG_1570.jpg
Views: 155
Size: 103.0 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1568.JPG
Views: 196
Size: 281.1 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1560.JPG
Views: 129
Size: 196.2 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1566.JPG
Views: 134
Size: 289.7 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1573.JPG
Views: 120
Size: 254.4 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1569.jpg
Views: 114
Size: 109.9 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1564.JPG
Views: 140
Size: 273.5 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1571.JPG
Views: 133
Size: 299.2 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1572.JPG
Views: 128
Size: 249.9 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1563.JPG
Views: 118
Size: 295.2 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1567.JPG
Views: 104
Size: 218.8 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1575.jpg
Views: 140
Size: 111.2 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1561.jpg
Views: 97
Size: 113.0 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1574.JPG
Views: 134
Size: 237.2 KB
Description:
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:57 AM
Registered User
templton89's Avatar
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordosoar View Post
I cut the lower wing to fit the fuse, i think it was the easier way to go.

here is what I came up with for the cowling.
as you can see i cut the end off a $ tree bat and had to add some foam around the fuse and cut to shape.Attachment 4970891

Attachment 4970889

Attachment 4970883

Attachment 4970887

Attachment 4970894

Attachment 4970890

Attachment 4970886

Attachment 4970892

Attachment 4970893

Attachment 4970885

Attachment 4970888

Attachment 4970896

Attachment 4970884

Attachment 4970895
You guys are out of control with your awesome builds!

That cowl idea is brilliant, I'll have to check if my $tree carries those plastic bats
templton89 is offline Find More Posts by templton89
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:41 AM
Long Range FPV'er
Joined Feb 2009
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
I have recently built an axon to Ed's specs and it flew great right from the very first flight. a few tips that I can pass along to others that have not yet tried to build using Ed's procedures, do not use quality 3M packing tape, it's too thick and not very flexible. use the cheap stuff,it's thinner and more flexible. Also, When I went to the hardware store to get some aluminium flat stock for the motor mount, I felt that they wanted too much money, so instead I bought an aluminium yardstick that was $4.99. I can make a ton of motor mounts and If you want to remove the markings on the yard stick, just wipe it down with laquer thinner!!


Now I am on to my next built that will be a modified axon and I'm thinking of building a wing with a 10 inch cord because the 5 inch one seems a little thin and I want a real floater for my dragon link fpv system. What do you guys think?

Try this for motor mounts...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=116
Mykro is offline Find More Posts by Mykro
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:50 AM
Registered User
chris1379's Avatar
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,137 Posts
Another thing you can do to seal the edges of foamboard is use a heat sealing iron that is made for iron-on coverings. I cut my tape as close to flush with the edges as I can then use the iron to seal any excess to the edges. This also slightly melts and hardens the foam.
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:52 AM
Registered User
Wabball's Avatar
United States, WA, Pullman
Joined Aug 2011
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordosoar View Post
I cut the lower wing to fit the fuse, i think it was the easier way to go.

here is what I came up with for the cowling.
as you can see i cut the end off a $ tree bat and had to add some foam around the fuse and cut to shape.
Looks awesome Gordosoar, can't wait to see how it flies! I was thinking of doing something like this to use as a motor mount, something like a pickle jar lid that could fit over the fuselage tube. This looks really good and is lightweight! I'll have to see if my $tree carries these bats as well...
Wabball is offline Find More Posts by Wabball
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:15 AM
TonyS
United States, AR
Joined May 2010
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordosoar View Post
Didn't know about all that incidence stuff when I put it togather, so I tried to get them the same. What should I have done?

Update... Just checked it, and found the upper wing has a few degrees of positive incidence. What does that mean?
My typing is atrocious this morning So, let me offer information links --

Discussion of biplane wing set up -- http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...p?topic=2497.0

And wing incidence "How To" -- http://balsabusters.warp0.com/INCIDENCE.html

TonyS
tonystro is offline Find More Posts by tonystro
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:39 AM
Quadraholic
Gordosoar's Avatar
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by templton89 View Post
You guys are out of control with your awesome builds!

That cowl idea is brilliant, I'll have to check if my $tree carries those plastic bats
If not you can try various size plastic bottles to find one that fits your plane.
They are usually 3-3 1/2 " but come in many other sizes.
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:00 AM
Quadraholic
Gordosoar's Avatar
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykro View Post
Great idea and cheap. I use a piece of light ply and glue it to the front which give the fuse more stability, and then cut holes to let air through to the batt and Esc.
I sometimes put scoops on the side of the fuse to get air in there.
But for a wing or flat fuse your idea can't be beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1379 View Post
Another thing you can do to seal the edges of foamboard is use a heat sealing iron that is made for iron-on coverings. I cut my tape as close to flush with the edges as I can then use the iron to seal any excess to the edges. This also slightly melts and hardens the foam.
Another great idea. I'm telling you, we have some very inventive people on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabball View Post
Looks awesome Gordosoar, can't wait to see how it flies! I was thinking of doing something like this to use as a motor mount, something like a pickle jar lid that could fit over the fuselage tube. This looks really good and is lightweight! I'll have to see if my $tree carries these bats as well...
Still don't have my video camera, but as soon as I do I'll try to post some of it flying. It's a great design borrowed from the contest winer. With all the lift and drag, it really flys slow, and is a piece o cake to land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonystro View Post
My typing is atrocious this morning So, let me offer information links --

Discussion of biplane wing set up -- http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...p?topic=2497.0

And wing incidence "How To" -- http://balsabusters.warp0.com/INCIDENCE.html

TonyS
I'll check it out and thanks for thinking of me. Us old men need all the attention we can get.
I flew the Wing, Tube Addiction, FunBat, and FuglyJet today.
I've been experimenting with the exhaust cone on the FuglyJet trying to get the best proformence out of it and today it flew the best ever. I shortend it up a bit and the plane seemed to have more power. I was able to go vertical for a bit and do loops with ease.
Later gents,
G
Also, also, I was able to fly it around on a lot less than full power. Last week if I backed off on the power, it wanted to fall out of the sky.
Ok.
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
Last edited by Gordosoar; Jun 28, 2012 at 11:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:17 AM
Registered User
LawnDartMike's Avatar
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Jan 2012
287 Posts
The $Tree stores around here don't carry the bigger bats. I bought mine at Walmart but they were more then a dollar. I was also thinking the bottom of a 1 liter Coke bottle would make an interesting cowling.
LawnDartMike is offline Find More Posts by LawnDartMike
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:38 AM
Registered User
Denver
Joined Mar 2004
460 Posts
What do you all use on the top of the fuse to keep the wing from sliding around if you want to use rubber bands to hold the wing on?
Thanks
vrex is offline Find More Posts by vrex
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:45 AM
Quadraholic
Gordosoar's Avatar
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrex View Post
What do you all use on the top of the fuse to keep the wing from sliding around if you want to use rubber bands to hold the wing on?
Thanks
Just put a rubber band on the fues before you put the wing on and it should keep it in place, as Ed shows in one of his many wonderful videos.
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:52 AM
Quadraholic
Gordosoar's Avatar
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDartMike View Post
The $Tree stores around here don't carry the bigger bats. I bought mine at Walmart but they were more then a dollar. I was also thinking the bottom of a 1 liter Coke bottle would make an interesting cowling.
I've seen that bat at wallyworld, it was about $4-5. And felt heavy.
Your plane looks like it will fly very well. I have one of the $ tree bats of that size also, I'm saving it for something with a bigger wing, like maybe 40-50" .

Please let you know how it flies. But if it has Eds wing and you built it straight,
It should fly like a bat out of hell.
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:35 PM
<<x USMC
r0beert0's Avatar
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Jun 2010
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordosoar View Post
I cut the lower wing to fit the fuse, i think it was the easier way to go.

here is what I came up with for the cowling.
as you can see i cut the end off a $ tree bat and had to add some foam around the fuse and cut to shape.

That looks great!!! here is what I did on one of my basla models that had the original cowl broken to pieces.


more here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...93&postcount=7
r0beert0 is offline Find More Posts by r0beert0
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Giving Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:58 PM
Quadraholic
Gordosoar's Avatar
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0beert0 View Post
That looks great!!! here is what I did on one of my basla models that had the original cowl broken to pieces.


more here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...93&postcount=7
Semper-FI my friend.
Ya know, looking at that bottle I wouldn't think you could use any part if it, but man you nailed it. You found just the right conures and put them in the right places. It really works with that kind of plane.
Congrats.
G
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:58 PM
Registered User
LawnDartMike's Avatar
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Jan 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordosoar View Post
I've seen that bat at wallyworld, it was about $4-5. And felt heavy.
Your plane looks like it will fly very well. I have one of the $ tree bats of that size also, I'm saving it for something with a bigger wing, like maybe 40-50" .

Please let you know how it flies. But if it has Eds wing and you built it straight,
It should fly like a bat out of hell.
It has a 40x8" wing of Ed's design and flys very well. It is my go to plane when the wind is up. 26oz RTF. I use a BL2220/10 (Headsuprc) motor with 10x4.7sf prop and it will cruise at below half throttle or go vertical forever if you get carried away. I put the motor inside the bat so unless it goes stright in the motor is safe from damage. You truly never worry about crash damage to the bat. It makes for a good easy flying trainer.
LawnDartMike is offline Find More Posts by LawnDartMike
Last edited by LawnDartMike; Jun 28, 2012 at 04:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log SEW-SLO 30" Foamboard Wing Atx_Heli Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 59 Oct 18, 2014 07:22 AM
Build Log SEW-SLO 30" Foamboard Wing Atx_Heli Flying Wings 0 May 19, 2011 10:47 PM
Question So I have a sheet of $Tree foamboard... what to build? Bomb Dropper Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 15 Mar 23, 2011 03:49 PM
Discussion EDF/Motor for University Design Project uwpropulsionguy Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 0 Mar 06, 2011 04:24 PM