SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:47 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Bi-Tube

Ok, my fellow foamies.
here's the photos of my latest creation. after i saw the the winner of the tape bros contest, i said i have to build something like that.
so here it is.
wings = 30"
fuse = 30
motor = EMP 2836 KV880
prop = will be a 3 bladed 10x6
some of the photos are while it was being constructed.
Name: IMG_1535.JPG
Views: 145
Size: 151.8 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1558.JPG
Views: 160
Size: 284.2 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1529.JPG
Views: 200
Size: 241.8 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1534.JPG
Views: 137
Size: 217.7 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1533.JPG
Views: 120
Size: 168.4 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1543.JPG
Views: 144
Size: 191.8 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1536.JPG
Views: 167
Size: 223.4 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1551.JPG
Views: 182
Size: 252.8 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1552.JPG
Views: 158
Size: 250.7 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1555.JPG
Views: 211
Size: 284.0 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1531.JPG
Views: 132
Size: 243.1 KB
Description:

sorry. i can never get them to come out in the right order.
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:05 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
96 Posts
thats really cool gordo. im gonna b waiting for a video
articulatekevin is offline Find More Posts by articulatekevin
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:37 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
672 Posts
I keep seeing a lot of references to higher KV motors, they aren't as efficient as the slower ones, as an example, a 1,000 KV motor will allow your propeller to operate much more efficiently than a 2,000 KV.

Something to keep in mind...

The most efficient propeller is a large diameter prop turning at a slow rpm, as motor rpm increases, noise increases much more with than thrust. In full size aircraft engines with high rpm performance are usually geared down to allow the prop to run at a more efficient rpm.
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:53 PM
United States, OH, South Lebanon
Joined Jul 2005
264 Posts
Did you cut the lower wing to fit the fuse, or cut the fuse to fit the wing? What's the AUW?

You should make a cowl for the motor with a tube big enough to slip over the front of the fuselage. Use a constrasting color and cut the end that slips over the fuse into an ornate shape.

A setup like this is just begging for LEDs.
TimJC is online now Find More Posts by TimJC
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:13 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by articulatekevin View Post
thats really cool gordo. im gonna b waiting for a video
I'm waiting on a replacement for my camera that died. Should be here soon.
I'd like to get a vid of the maiden flight if it ever stops raining here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJC View Post
Did you cut the lower wing to fit the fuse, or cut the fuse to fit the wing? What's the AUW?

You should make a cowl for the motor with a tube big enough to slip over the front of the fuselage. Use a constrasting color and cut the end that slips over the fuse into an ornate shape.

A setup like this is just begging for LEDs.
The AUW is 29 oz. I bit heavy but the 2836 880 I have on it should pull it nicely.
A cowl is a great idea. Any suggestion on how to make one?
Hey, maybe the bottom of some kind of plastic bottle. Or a cup.
Now you got me thinking. Always a dangerous thing.
G
Old Jun 27, 2012, 01:04 AM
Ed @ Experimental Airlines
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2011
457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman26 View Post
I keep seeing a lot of references to higher KV motors, they aren't as efficient as the slower ones, as an example, a 1,000 KV motor will allow your propeller to operate much more efficiently than a 2,000 KV.
If you ever see me recommending higher kV it's only for the purpose of getting more raw watts out of a certain-sized powerplant, even at the expense of efficiency. There will be more grams of thrust per gram of motor at higher kV's, all else equal. Other than that I echo your observation 100%. Big slow props are always nice if the overall design allows.
ExperimentalAir is offline Find More Posts by ExperimentalAir
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:37 AM
United States, OH, South Lebanon
Joined Jul 2005
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordosoar View Post
A cowl is a great idea. Any suggestion on how to make one?
Hey, maybe the bottom of some kind of plastic bottle. Or a cup.
Now you got me thinking. Always a dangerous thing.
G
I was just thinking a larger fuselage tube that slides onto the main fuse in white or red would look cool. It would only need to be 3-4 inches long so it would be quick to make. Then scallop the back edges to add more dimension.
TimJC is online now Find More Posts by TimJC
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:32 AM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJC View Post
I was just thinking a larger fuselage tube that slides onto the main fuse in white or red would look cool. It would only need to be 3-4 inches long so it would be quick to make. Then scallop the back edges to add more dimension.
Not a bad idea. But first I'm going to try the plastic bottle bottom.
If I can find one that fits the corners of the fuse, I will go with that.
A few screws on the corners should hold it.

Obtw. I did the maiden on it today, and after some trimming, it flew great.
Very stable and slow, in fact it was just cruising around at 1/4 to 1/2 power most of the time.
That 10x6 3 blade prop sure pulled it along nicely.
It did need much more down elevator than I had figured on so the first few seconds were a bit hairy, and I also need to reduce the ailerons to like 30% .
They are 2" deep and with there being 2 of them it is very roll sensitive.
At full power it was very manuverable, too much so for the first thing in the morning for me.
As soon as my camera gets here I will try to get some video of it. Although Im still trying to get the other ones to load up. I'm getting there.
Later,
G.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 01:35 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,303 Posts
I have recently built an axon to Ed's specs and it flew great right from the very first flight. a few tips that I can pass along to others that have not yet tried to build using Ed's procedures, do not use quality 3M packing tape, it's too thick and not very flexible. use the cheap stuff,it's thinner and more flexible. Also, When I went to the hardware store to get some aluminium flat stock for the motor mount, I felt that they wanted too much money, so instead I bought an aluminium yardstick that was $4.99. I can make a ton of motor mounts and If you want to remove the markings on the yard stick, just wipe it down with laquer thinner!!

Now I am on to my next built that will be a modified axon and I'm thinking of building a wing with a 10 inch cord because the 5 inch one seems a little thin and I want a real floater for my dragon link fpv system. What do you guys think?
antennahead is offline Find More Posts by antennahead
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:24 PM
United States, TX, Spur
Joined Sep 2011
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrex View Post
Cool video! So where can I get a bevel tool?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/X-ACTO-Foa...utter/16817669

Thurmond
T3PRanch is online now Find More Posts by T3PRanch
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:01 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalAir View Post
Try this for a tapered wing idea as you describe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRHPn2heKzw
Some how I missed this video when you first posted it, but I'm glad I finally got to see it as this is the same way I did my flying wing, except I had to figure it out myself. This would have been a real help, although I'm not nearly as fast as he is.
Thanks
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:33 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Tips

I have two tips today.
Sometimes I do something that turns out well and I forget to pass it on so while I'm thinking of it,,,,,

If you go through a lot of blades as I do, try sharpening them by dragging the blade at a low angle across a piece of Crocus cloth or a very fine grit sand paper like 2000g. With a little practice you can restore the blade to like new sharpness.

Next, if you want to seal the open edges of foam board try putting a bead of hot glue down the length of the edge, and quickly swipe a VERY wet finger tip over the glue from one end to the other. It will smooth the glue down to a nice finished look and protect the foam.
CAUTION for those of you like me that have wussy fingers, this might burn a little. I've gotten so I can do it without the burn.
Or you might try it with a low temp glue gun.
That's it for today.
Now I must run out and get one of those exacto bevel tools.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 04:28 PM
TonyS
United States, AR
Joined May 2010
610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordosoar View Post

Obtw. I did the maiden on it today, and after some trimming, it flew great.
Very stable and slow, in fact it was just cruising around at 1/4 to 1/2 power most of the time.
That 10x6 3 blade prop sure pulled it along nicely.
It did need much more down elevator than I had figured on so the first few seconds were a bit hairy, and I also need to reduce the ailerons to like 30% .
They are 2" deep and with there being 2 of them it is very roll sensitive.
At full power it was very maneuverable, too much so for the first thing in the morning for me.

Later,
G.
Congratulations! Please let us know where you finalize the aileron throws and the CG. Did you set the upper wing at more positive incidence angle than the lower?

TonyS
tonystro is offline Find More Posts by tonystro
Last edited by tonystro; Jun 27, 2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: added incidence question
Old Jun 27, 2012, 05:26 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonystro View Post
Congratulations! Please let us know where you finalize the aileron throws and the CG. Did you set the upper wing at more positive incidence angle than the lower?

TonyS
Didn't know about all that incidence stuff when I put it togather, so I tried to get them the same. What should I have done?

Update... Just checked it, and found the upper wing has a few degrees of positive incidence. What does that mean?
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:00 PM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Nov 2011
95 Posts
Apropos of Nothing

Thanks to Will from MikeysRC.com I got a close up view of the Patriots Jet Team this weekend. They dedicated their new facility in Byron, CA and feted a bunch of interested people. Here's a video of the best bits...

Patriots Jet Team 2012-06-24 (3 min 28 sec)
DTFB Aerowerks is offline Find More Posts by DTFB Aerowerks