HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 05:35 PM
Lost in Oblivia
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2010
119 Posts
Ed, is there any way that we can get you to put some of your designs into a print format? A nice printable pdf pattern, possibly with a parts listing?!?!? It sure would make it easier to study the design and catch details such as which motors were used in the Cargo plane, or see the details of the landing gear mounting without having to skim through the video and stop/start/rewind/start/stop and so on.....

Regards

Christian aka

Kaptain "Hopeless when trying to gleen details from videos" Zero
kaptain_zero is offline Find More Posts by kaptain_zero
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:15 AM
Red Sox Territory
Joined Mar 2009
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalAir View Post
My parachutes are scratchbuilt for like US$3 each from "jacket liner" nylon and tulle netting joined by hot glue - video forthcoming.
Wow thats a really nice parachute, i'll have to try that. I made one for whatever two garbage bags cost and some string, it worked beautifully tho. You should try attaching it to the plane, it's a ton of fun.

The Parachute Plane!!! (3 min 18 sec)
mmmbcn is offline Find More Posts by mmmbcn
Old Feb 26, 2012, 01:13 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,135 Posts
So much for "Landings are mandatory".
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:25 PM
Ed @ Experimental Airlines
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
Christian,

The twin cargo dropper video was more like a details and tour than a formal build video. I'd like to get my feet (and new foamboard builders) wet with some simpler designs but I would like to do a series of formal build videos on a twin cargo plane like the RC-69. Feel free to send me some specific questions in the meantime if you like and we can get you building. There are some other guys who have recently built similar planes with even better nose access and landing gear, so look at page 4 of this thread for some good ideas too.

Ed
ExperimentalAir is offline Find More Posts by ExperimentalAir
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:10 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,946 Posts
"so look at page 4 of this thread for some good ideas too."

Were you referring to this thread or another thread?
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:28 AM
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
This thread, page 4. KeithLuneau and h0tr0d have made a couple of nice twin cargo planes that use what I think are much nicer landing gear and more accessible nose sections than my RC-69. The only nice thing I can say about the flush-mounted landing gear is that it's easy and will take very abusive landings with cargo onboard, but it drags the belly in the grass which can be objectionable. The strutless wing is worth checking out too. I usually do use struts just to transfer some of the weight (and build complexity) away from the wing mounting point in the center, but if there is a strong and easier way to do it then I'm paying attention. You know I'm a freak who likes to carry multiple-pound payloads.

Also see here http://www.rcflighttest.com/home/201...-tree-cargo-1/
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:19 AM
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
Joined Jan 2004
613 Posts
Quote:

The twin cargo dropper video was more like a details and tour than a formal build video. I'd like to get my feet (and new foamboard builders) wet with some simpler designs but I would like to do a series of formal build videos on a twin cargo plane like the RC-69. Feel free to send me some specific questions in the meantime if you like and we can get you building. There are some other guys who have recently built similar planes with even better nose access and landing gear, so look at page 4 of this thread for some good ideas too.

Ed
Is it possible to post some basic dimensions of the cargo dropper? ie horz and vert stab dimensions, length and WS, wing placement from the nose. I think you answered most of my questions in the video.

I have a skyvan 3-view that I plan to scale and loaded up on some DT foamboard. Looking forward to giving this one a shot. I have the wing figured out from your build video. Need to go look through my inventory for motors.

Impressive build!!

Tyler
pylot2b is offline Find More Posts by pylot2b
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:30 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,946 Posts
Quote:
This thread, page 4./
, I'm still on page 1 as I've got my page "set up" for 100 posts/page.

Sticky is growing quickly - and it should as the info you have provided is priceless.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:31 AM
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
Tyler,

Representing VA! (I'm from Richmond) Sure, so you are going for the Skyvan or the RC-69? I can spec it out for you.

Ed
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:43 AM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Quote:
The strutless wing is worth checking out too. I usually do use struts just to transfer some of the weight (and build complexity) away from the wing mounting point in the center, but if there is a strong and easier way to do it then I'm paying attention. You know I'm a freak who likes to carry multiple-pound payloads.
Thanks for the kind words Ed! In mine I used a 7.5mm hollow wound carbon spar. The info from Radical R/C where I got it:

Quote:
Hollow Rod. 7.5mm (.295") OD x 6.15mm (.243") ID x .803 meter (31.625") Length. These rods are wound (not pull-truded) and represent an exceptional value. Very stiff, very light (17.2g). Perfect for boom's for DLG and other types of pod and boom models.
It's a little stiffer than the 5mm pultruded rod I have in the Peace Drone's wing. It seems plenty strong for my intentions, but I'd definitely run struts if I were going to haul a few pounds in it... lol I'm just looking to drop some parachutes out the back later once the flight testing is all done!
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
, I'm still on page 1 as I've got my page "set up" for 100 posts/page.

Sticky is growing quickly - and it should as the info you have provided is priceless.
Oh, whoops, I didn't know you could do that. It's like Feb 21-24, you'll see the other black twin cargo planes.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Jan 2004
613 Posts
Quote:
Tyler,

Representing VA! (I'm from Richmond) Sure, so you are going for the Skyvan or the RC-69? I can spec it out for you.

Ed
Going for the skyvan!! Always liked those planes. Any additional details would be sweet. Basically a box with wings and some motors!! About as simple as it gets!!

Tyler
Old Feb 29, 2012, 01:49 PM
United States, AZ, Bullhead City
Joined Feb 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Tyler,

Ed
Woohoo! I'm also an Arizona transplant, originally from Yorktown, VA!
Red Goldman is offline Find More Posts by Red Goldman
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:29 PM
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pylot2b View Post
Is it possible to post some basic dimensions of the cargo dropper? ie horz and vert stab dimensions, length and WS, wing placement from the nose. I think you answered most of my questions in the video.

Tyler
Wingspan: 66" (two 30" wing sections + 6" gap in center section
Total chord: 9 1/2"
Airfoil chord: 7"
Ailerons & Flaps: 2 1/2" x 13" each
Leading edge: 12" aft of nose
CG: 3" aft of LE
Length: 44"
Fuselage: 8" x 8"
Horizontal stabilizer: 8" chord (total), 23" span
Elevator: 2" full span
Vertical stabilizers: 8" chord, 12" height
Landing gear: 3 1/2" diameter
Nose gear axle: 5" aft of nose
Main gear axle: 18" aft of nose
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Jan 2004
613 Posts
Ed,

Thanks for the details! I might play around with this on Turbocad. I started on converting "The Twins" featured on another thread to a skyvan. I overlayed a 3-view on the origional drawings.

Might just start from scratch with the 3-view! I find it easier to cut out the basic parts when you have patterns. I will post my results. Need to clear the building board of a few projects first!!

Tyler