HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:51 AM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,479 Posts
These are great videos!
sleb is offline Find More Posts by sleb
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2012, 01:41 PM
Ed @ Experimental Airlines
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Or you can strap the gopro to your head
True indeed. Then I gotta practice flying right up in my own face! I might well resort to that.
ExperimentalAir is offline Find More Posts by ExperimentalAir
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:37 PM
United States, WA, Pasco
Joined Aug 2011
32 Posts
Wow. This is perfect timing thank you very much. I'm going to try building one of your wings to strap to a BB.

You did an excellent job with descriptions & instructions!
jetada is offline Find More Posts by jetada
Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:50 AM
Joined Aug 2009
198 Posts
just an idea, but on your wing design I think I see an area where you can increase strength. When you cut the spacers that stack inside the wing cut them narrower by the width of the foam board. Then cut a third piece. The size of this piece will be determined by how many spacers your using on top of each other. if your using 2 strips make the thrid piece as wide as the two strips are when stacked on top of each other. So, when you glue your two strips in just like in your video you then take that third piece and glue it in vertically butted up next to the two strips. When you fold your wing over you will now effectively have a foam "I" beam that in theory will add more rigidity to the wing. There shouldnt be any extra weight because your using the same amount of foam, your just placing it differently. Its an extra step that may or may not be needed but it seems like it would allow more wing loading or at least offer more insurance against a folded wing mid flight.
DEBAY777 is online now Find More Posts by DEBAY777
Old Feb 07, 2012, 06:59 AM
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEBAY777 View Post
just an idea, but on your wing design I think I see an area where you can increase strength....... you will now effectively have a foam "I" beam
No doubt about it, the more members that bear force edge-on, like an I-beam, the stronger it would be. You could expand your idea and make the entire former out of vertical units. It just might be a tiny bit more tedious.

I've stressed a 30" section to 8lbs before it wrinkled. I might now try a test with the I-beam for comparison. I usually throw a carbon arrow in there if it needs to be really sturdy.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 11:52 AM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,089 Posts
ExAir,

try getting a hold of Vic "AceMigKiller" (e-zone name) for your video work. He is quite good. Vic lives in the Phoenix area and is most active in EDF
Bob Reynolds is offline Find More Posts by Bob Reynolds
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:25 AM
Just FPV'n
Orange County Ca.
Joined Feb 2009
562 Posts
Ed,

You are a true and genuine hobbyist !!
I feel like I have a new lease on this hobby after viewing your videos!!

I was wondering if you will be doing any step by step builds in the near future of any aircraft?? I'm partial to doing a foamboard clone of a Twinstar II... I'm sick & tired of trying to find a Twinstar II when I need one.. They are out of stock everywhere I look... Scratch building is the only way to go...

Michael
Mykro is online now Find More Posts by Mykro
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2012, 02:03 AM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Hey Ed! Thanks for the videos! You already saw my Peace Drone built following your ideas and methods, I just placed an order tonight for some more hardware to get started on another plane or two in the near future! I know Pat's working on a cargo plane right now, I'll probably follow suit and build one too. Dumping things out the back looks like too much fun to pass up...
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:04 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,652 Posts
I put a post on Site suggestions requesting a Sticky. This thread is a jewel and needs to be up where modelers can find it.
IMO
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:33 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,307 Posts
Thanks Ed for the foam lessons ,i have built with balsa all my life and now have decided to try some dollar tree foam .I dont like flat wings so when i caught your wing build it is going to help me alot. Thanks again Ed for the hard work and videos to help us with foam. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:55 AM
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
Here's the newest aircraft I've built using the described techniques. A semi-scale SC.7 Skyvan for cargo dropping.

SKYVAN Cargo Dropper (12 min 23 sec)
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:06 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,652 Posts
Very NICE Ed!

Here's my WACO UPF-7 biplane with a 48" span using your wing design.
Build thread here

[IMG]
WACO UPF-7 RC 48" $Tree Foam Board Windy Day flight (3 min 4 sec)
[/IMG]

Last edited by hoppy; Feb 13, 2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:31 AM
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
Hoppy, that is an AMAZING looking plane! Hard to imagine foamboard coming out so nicely. Great work.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:09 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,652 Posts
Thanks Ed, your wing design made even those big wings a snap. Glad to see the management decided to sticky this thread.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 03:44 AM
Joined Feb 2012
2 Posts
Wow, these videos are amazing. A billion stars to you
maleaco is offline Find More Posts by maleaco