HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:15 AM
I can fly this plane
Kingdom of Sweden, Gävleborg County, Sandviken
Joined Jan 2012
228 Posts
[QUOTE=francoishaha;24235151]Pin Duke, i realy like the split fuselage idea 'thumbs up'/QUOTE]

Thank you. It does make things a lot easier.
PinDuke is offline Find More Posts by PinDuke
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:07 AM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2013
87 Posts
What motor/esc combo would be best from RCTimer for my 60" Axon? I'm hoping I can get something that is smaller kv and use a bigger prop so I can use it with the Flitetest swappables as well. I was thinking of this motor, esc and prop.
BlakeL is offline Find More Posts by BlakeL
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:26 AM
United States, CA, San Rafael
Joined Mar 2012
131 Posts
Nice. Love Flitetest!
Averan is offline Find More Posts by Averan
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:34 AM
Joined Feb 2013
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averan View Post
Nice. Love Flitetest!
So do you think that combo will work?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:49 AM
Joined Mar 2012
131 Posts
Should be fine. 200w motors seem to be a good size for most of my 40" and 60" foam builds and give a good realistic flight experience. 300w is a lot more fun though allowing for semi 3D aerobatics. I don't build super light though. You'll get better performance if you do.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:08 AM
Joined Feb 2013
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averan View Post
Should be fine. 200w motors seem to be a good size for most of my 40" and 60" foam builds and give a good realistic flight experience. 300w is a lot more fun though allowing for semi 3D aerobatics. I don't build super light though. You'll get better performance if you do.
Thanks for the input. Since this is my first build, it probably won't be too light. This motor should be pretty good for the Flitetest swappables too but might be a little overpowered so I'll just have to reduce throttle. Do you think the 3-Blade prop will be good? I'm thinking of also getting a regular 8x4 to see which would be best.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:16 AM
Joined Mar 2012
131 Posts
Never messed with three blades. On my 300w 1400kv I like to use an 8x5. 8x4 might not be enough. An 8x6 would work too and be faster than the 9x4.7.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:10 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conbones View Post
i build much like Jackerbes has explained and i have to say those techniques work very well. Removing the paper and covering both side in sealing tape makes it last a lot longer than leaving the paper on and it is still plenty strong for its intended purpose. by taking the paper off you reduce the weight by about 40-35% witch can only help in flight and in a crash.
I follow same techniques, and always tape my foam. I wasn't arguing against those methods, or saying one is superior etc. I was just comparing and contrasting depron and $tree foam.

If I had access to cheap, thick depron, I'd use it for fuses and other parts. It's less messy when you sand it, works great with hot wire cutter
templton89 is offline Find More Posts by templton89
Last edited by templton89; Feb 26, 2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:52 PM
AMA# 1004189
United States, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2012
342 Posts
i didnt consider you two guys to be arguing. i saw a convo and just had to add my two penny's couldnt help myself. though thanks for trying to clear up any misunderstanding.
conbones is offline Find More Posts by conbones
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:10 AM
Joined Oct 2011
882 Posts
What known $tree FB models so far come closest in flying characteristics / overall design form to the Easy Star and Bixler 2?

I'm thinking: slow flying, extremely stable, somewhat self levelling, with excellent glide characteristics.

Thanks!
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:41 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygyQ View Post
What known $tree FB models so far come closest in flying characteristics / overall design form to the Easy Star and Bixler 2?

I'm thinking: slow flying, extremely stable, somewhat self levelling, with excellent glide characteristics.

Thanks!
Springer's 60" span one sheet glider is a good example:

60" span motor glider - OSG! -http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1138106&highlight=osg

The Blu Sail II (also 60" span) is another that could be built with Readiboard:

Blu-Sail II and the Joy of Monobloc and KFm Wings - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780543

I built and still have and fly a Blu Sail II, it was made from FFF and got me thoroughly addicted to motor gliders of that class. It is not a record beater, it will not win any ALES contests, and it will bring nothing by snide remarks and sneers over on the glider forums. But it is a motor glider and an absolute joy to fly.

I would consider a new BS II build with a KFm9 wing to be a good choice for a Readiboard build. And I like monobloc fuselages (like the BS II) much more than I like a hollow fuselage built up from sheet foam (like the OSG).

Here is another recent addition to the builds here that might be what you are looking for:

Cloud Weaver: A slow flying trainer for beginners - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1832610

For me the holy grail of building interest is fairly light, fairly strong, and fairly quick and easy to build. As I go from the thicker, slightly stronger FFF with it's skin intact, to the slightly thinner Readiboard with no paper or skin on it, I find I need to build lines of spanwise lines of strength with full contact glued (with PU, not hot glue) filler strips and layers and making intelligent use of a spar or two .

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:12 AM
Joined Oct 2011
882 Posts
Nice. Three great models to look in to!

Nice touch that the motor, ESC, and servos for the OSG come in at 99gm, qualifying for the $3- shipping rate at HK.

The Blue Sail II looks very amenable to supporting FPV, due it's generous hold space. I understand you did yours with FFF, but evidently it's been done with $tree FB as well... FFF tends to be a bit over priced and picked over (nicks, stains) in the places I can get too easily, so I'll probably pass on trying a FFF approach. Building a Blue Sail II using $tree FB though -- definitely on the agenda for serious consideration!

Thanks!
Last edited by syzygyQ; Feb 27, 2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:22 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,913 Posts
Have you seen any of this guys work as far as FPV and FPV platforms?

http://tinyurl.com/bpcfmgm

Here is a google translation on it:

http://tinyurl.com/cdrygwm

The large amount of real estate for hardware mounting on the top of a flying wing, along with the nice flying traits of the KFm flying wings, sure makes that a nice FPV platform. Here is a nice sample, lot's more to be seen on YouTube.

FPV49 v3 build 2 Christmas Teaser (3 min 0 sec)

"..FFF tends to be a bit over priced and picked over (nicks, stains) in the places I can get too easily..."

The insulation contractors will not buy damaged insulation material because of the time and money it takes to patch it up. They much prefer having full sheets and cutting bits and pieces (paid for by customer) off and throwing them away as they fit the foam.

Once, when I found a bundle of PB III at Home Depot with some damage to the corners of the first and last sheets in the bundle, the floor man gave me a slip for 20% discount on the bundle. When I got to the cash register some guy that was a higher level supervisor knocked it down to half price and remarked that he was glad to get rid of it!

So I lost a small portion of two of the 25 sheets but I was very happy with the deal I got.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:15 PM
Joined Oct 2011
882 Posts
Getting prices knocked down at HD. Good one

The FPV 49 V3 looks pretty sweet. The Oslo crew have definitely got it going, big time. That's some pretty smart design. I thought I'd sworn off Depron, but I can't see not trying out that design somewhere along the road.

Nice!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:46 AM
Ed @ Experimental Airlines
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeL View Post
What motor/esc combo would be best from RCTimer for my 60" Axon? I'm hoping I can get something that is smaller kv and use a bigger prop so I can use it with the Flitetest swappables as well. I was thinking of this motor, esc and prop.
That is a great combo for the FT swappables, if a little overpowered. I would go a bit higher on KV for the Axon to get better watts-per-prop diameter, not to mention better watts-per-gram of motor. In that same series of motor is the 2200KV I recommend in the videos, with the 6x4 Master Airscrew prop, which gets at least 50% more power than the 1400KV:

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...7&productname=''

This will also work with the FT swappables, but like a rocket. You could get by with the 1400 for the Axon, I just think you'll be left a little wanting if you go for any aerobatics, bigger battery, or any payload to carry.
ExperimentalAir is offline Find More Posts by ExperimentalAir