HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:51 AM
Joined Oct 2011
882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeL View Post
I started building the fuselage tonight for the Axon and I'm surprised how strong it feels. Tomorrow I'll be joining them and possibly starting on the wing.

I'm using the cheap Duck brand packing tape you can get at Wal-Mart for $1. According to their website, the standard tape is 1.9 mil. Will this work well or should I get something that is a bit thicker?
You're talking about joining the two wing segments and binding the fuse sections?

Any duct tape will be strong enough for those jobs. Wherever you tape will be strongest part of the plane (says I, having built one, but not having flown it yet). Perhaps other pilots will have better field intel.

That being said, not all duct tapes are made the same. Scotch brand "Tough" duct tape has superior strength and handling characteristics (in my opinion). I willingly pay up to 3X dollar store prices for it (sacrilege), and use it exclusively for things like wing hinges on simple profile foamies.

In case you haven't thought of it, you can get colour matched duct tape from some dollar stores. Titan brand duct tape has red, green, blue, and yellow, that I can remember for sure, and a few others, that all colour match Tape Brothers Packing tape perfectly.
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:58 AM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
384 Posts
Hey,
How about a competition for the slowest flying (and still controllable) armin wing design? I'm thinking along the lines of the Slowbipe, not the awesome stall landing of the Peace Drone.
Anyone in?
Ed?
SquireM is offline Find More Posts by SquireM
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:01 PM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,134 Posts
When I joined my wings I put a piece of 3mm plywood, cut to the same shape as the airfoil, sandwiched between them and applied white GG and then a few dabs of hot glue to keep it from moving. Then taped over lengthwise for good measure. I don't believe this will ever come apart, and the beating it survived is proof.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:22 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2013
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygyQ View Post
You're talking about joining the two wing segments and binding the fuse sections?

Any duct tape will be strong enough for those jobs. Wherever you tape will be strongest part of the plane (says I, having built one, but not having flown it yet). Perhaps other pilots will have better field intel.

That being said, not all duct tapes are made the same. Scotch brand "Tough" duct tape has superior strength and handling characteristics (in my opinion). I willingly pay up to 3X dollar store prices for it (sacrilege), and use it exclusively for things like wing hinges on simple profile foamies.

In case you haven't thought of it, you can get colour matched duct tape from some dollar stores. Titan brand duct tape has red, green, blue, and yellow, that I can remember for sure, and a few others, that all colour match Tape Brothers Packing tape perfectly.
I was talking about the packing tape to cover the paper but Ed responded on YouTube and said that the cheap stuff will still work fine. Which dollar store did you get the colored duct tape? I checked Dollar Tree and they only had leopard and pink. I was planning on getting my duct tape from Tape Brothers since their place is 10 minutes away from my house.
BlakeL is offline Find More Posts by BlakeL
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:31 PM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,134 Posts
I got different colored duct tape at Walmart, including the B/W checkered stuff I used on another plane.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:36 PM
United States, FL, Weston
Joined Nov 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper522 View Post
I got different colored duct tape at Walmart, including the B/W checkered stuff I used on another plane.
Home Depot carries them too.
Ricklandia is offline Find More Posts by Ricklandia
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:39 PM
Joined Oct 2011
882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeL View Post
I was talking about the packing tape to cover the paper but Ed responded on YouTube and said that the cheap stuff will still work fine. Which dollar store did you get the colored duct tape? I checked Dollar Tree and they only had leopard and pink. I was planning on getting my duct tape from Tape Brothers since their place is 10 minutes away from my house.
Ahh, now I see it -- I stopped at "Duck" and didn't see "packing tape".

Like Ed says, any packing tape should work fine. That being said, Tape Brothers tape has superior handling characteristics. For example, I picked up a six roll pack of Staples house brand 2.2mm tape, and have used it on $tree FB for a few projects. Definitely it goes on fine and performs fine also. However it tends to get twisted and snagged easily, and tends to grab on fast and easy, resulting in a higher incidence of fails / low quality results. Tape Brothers tape, by way of contrast, seems "well mannered" to me. It tends not to lock on to the paper at feather edge touch, and seems to be less tangly in general. It "irons out" nicely too (gift card method). And yet once you press it on, it goes on secure.

I'm pretty sure this is not a placebo effect. It seems to me that Tape Brothers tape really is better.

As for where to get Titan coloured duct tape, I've just found it in a couple of non-chain dollar stores in my home town. If you don't find colour matched tape some other way, I'd recommend keeping an eye out for Titan tape whenever you hit the tape aisle in stores.

Disclaimer: I have no connection to Tape Brothers and am not compensated for promoting their products. I'm just a retail customer recommending their tape.
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:47 PM
Joined Feb 2013
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygyQ View Post
Ahh, now I see it -- I stopped at "Duck" and didn't see "packing tape".

Like Ed says, any packing tape should work fine. That being said, Tape Brothers tape has superior handling characteristics. For example, I picked up a six roll pack of Staples house brand 2.2mm tape, and have used it on $tree FB for a few projects. Definitely it goes on fine and performs fine also. However it tends to get twisted and snagged easily, and tends to grab on fast and easy, resulting in a higher incidence of fails / low quality results. Tape Brothers tape, by way of contrast, seems "well mannered" to me. It tends not to lock on to the paper at feather edge touch, and seems to be less tangly in general. It "irons out" nicely too (gift card method). And yet once you press it on, it goes on secure.

I'm pretty sure this is not a placebo effect. It seems to me that Tape Brothers tape really is better.

As for where to get Titan coloured duct tape, I've just found it in a couple of non-chain dollar stores in my home town. If you don't find colour matched tape some other way, I'd recommend keeping an eye out for Titan tape whenever you hit the tape aisle in stores.

Disclaimer: I have no connection to Tape Brothers and am not compensated for promoting their products. I'm just a retail customer recommending their tape.
I defiantly experienced the same issues you did with the cheap tape. I had multiple times where it stuck before I was ready which caused some creases that I couldn't push out. It shouldn't matter too much on the fuselage but when I go to make the wing I'll have to figure out another method. For now I'll probably stick with this packing tape since I already have a few rolls but when I order some colored duct tape when I'm almost ready to finish the plane i'll grab some of their colored packing tape too.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:20 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquireM View Post
Hey,
How about a competition for the slowest flying (and still controllable) armin wing design? I'm thinking along the lines of the Slowbipe, not the awesome stall landing of the Peace Drone.
Anyone in?
Ed?
Oh I'm in i will enter my GoSlow 60" Built it for super slow but stable flight
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:18 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyplugs View Post
Oh I'm in i will enter my GoSlow 60" Built it for super slow but stable flight
Sweet! Do you have pictures and specs? I should make it clear that this is just a suggestion. I'm interested in slow flying planes because I'm still new and speed is scary. Maybe if enough people are interested someone can come up with a prize.
SquireM is offline Find More Posts by SquireM
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:46 PM
rookie
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Dec 2012
546 Posts
This was probly dicussed in this thread somewhere but what is a good powersystem for a noob tube. Really would like one of those combo packs with motor esc and servos. But any power advice would be nice.
wilf370 is offline Find More Posts by wilf370
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:40 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
670 Posts
These aren't covered with duct tape, they are covered with packing tape, a very thin, light plastic tape. Duct tape is thick and heavy, a completely different product from the very light packing tape, a plane covered with duct tape will be tremendously heavier and not fly nearly as well as one covered with the thin packing tape. The packing tape adds almost no weight to the finished plane, duct tape could easily outweigh the plane itself.

You can buy clear plastic packing tape at WalMart, its thicker and heavier than the color packing tapes, but it is serviceable and a good compromise if you don't have access to the color variety.

I HIGHLY recommend you don't use duct tape on your plane.
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:54 PM
AMA# 1004189
United States, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2012
342 Posts
wing man is correct, duct tape is heavy and should be used sparingly. I will also suggest removing the paper and covering both sides with sealing or packing tape it adds a tremendous amount of strength without much weight gain. All of my plains were made this way and are still flying.
conbones is offline Find More Posts by conbones
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:20 PM
I ask a lot of questions.
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Aug 2012
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilf370 View Post
This was probly dicussed in this thread somewhere but what is a good powersystem for a noob tube. Really would like one of those combo packs with motor esc and servos. But any power advice would be nice.
I don't know off hand what the recommended set-up is, but if you look at the video on Ed's youtube channel he has all the specs listed below the video. Hope that get's you pointed in the right direction

Cheers,
Stew
Disco Stew is offline Find More Posts by Disco Stew
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:45 AM
Joined Feb 2013
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman26 View Post
These aren't covered with duct tape, they are covered with packing tape, a very thin, light plastic tape. Duct tape is thick and heavy, a completely different product from the very light packing tape, a plane covered with duct tape will be tremendously heavier and not fly nearly as well as one covered with the thin packing tape. The packing tape adds almost no weight to the finished plane, duct tape could easily outweigh the plane itself.

You can buy clear plastic packing tape at WalMart, its thicker and heavier than the color packing tapes, but it is serviceable and a good compromise if you don't have access to the color variety.

I HIGHLY recommend you don't use duct tape on your plane.
I will be using packing tape to cover the foamboards. I just mentioned duct tape because I'll still need to find it in white for joining and maybe covering up edges that might take a beating. When I need it I'll be getting it from Tape Brothers.