HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:29 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Nov 2010
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winglessbob View Post
My wife bought me this for my birthday!! Is she a keeper or what!
That is great, nothing like a good wife. Been married to mine for long time and it just keeps getting better. Now if my flying would get better,,,,,
JamesBC is offline Find More Posts by JamesBC
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:15 PM
Scratch builder
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jul 2011
273 Posts
Check out the Fury Flyer!! Made with the armin wing!

Fury Flyer - 54" Flying Wing! (4 min 58 sec)

Plans available on this thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1823772
Bixler13 is offline Find More Posts by Bixler13
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:16 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,292 Posts
Got a chance to do another test flight of the plane i made.. This time i put a larger propeller on it a 12x9 and also has a 3 axis flight stabilizer on it...Still need more adjustments made on the flight stabilizer to jerky at this time as you can see in the video.....All in all great flights with this size prop I'm getting 8 minute flights with a 3s 2200mah battery and pretty heavy on the throttle not to bad

GoSlow 60" Test Flight (2 min 3 sec)
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:58 PM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
Question? Laminating $ tree foam board

I am planning on building a 120% size Polaris out of $ tree foam board. Since this plane has just a flat airfoil I want to laminate 2 entire pieces of foam board together on top of one another to make the wing from.

My question is, what type of adhesive would be the best to laminate two pieces together? I was thinking maybe some type of water based contact cement, but maybe someone here has another way.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

Bill
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:39 PM
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Jul 2011
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcneal View Post
I am planning on building a 120% size Polaris out of $ tree foam board. Since this plane has just a flat airfoil I want to laminate 2 entire pieces of foam board together on top of one another to make the wing from.

My question is, what type of adhesive would be the best to laminate two pieces together? I was thinking maybe some type of water based contact cement, but maybe someone here has another way.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

Bill
A lot of people use the spray adhesives ie. 3M 77, Elmers craft adhesive and some others not coming to mind at the moment. I have tried both of these and they work, however I prefer a thin layer of Gorilla Glue (squeegeed on) and put a piece of plywood with weights on top overnight. With the sprays I always worry about delaminating, no problems/worries with GG.
sixfins is offline Find More Posts by sixfins
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:28 AM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyplugs View Post
Got a chance to do another test flight of the plane i made.. This time i put a larger propeller on it a 12x9 and also has a 3 axis flight stabilizer on it...Still need more adjustments made on the flight stabilizer to jerky at this time as you can see in the video.....All in all great flights with this size prop I'm getting 8 minute flights with a 3s 2200mah battery and pretty heavy on the throttle not to bad

http://youtu.be/m9Q3O6twu2U
Hey smittyplugs nice video thanks for sharing!
jetcommander is offline Find More Posts by jetcommander
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:07 PM
United States, CA, San Rafael
Joined Mar 2012
131 Posts
Another lazy sunny video of my armin plank wing folded fuse $tree sport flyer for all you folks freezing right now:
Sport powered slope flying (3 min 58 sec)
Averan is offline Find More Posts by Averan
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:50 AM
David the Swarfer
South Africa, EC, Grahamstown
Joined Sep 2010
86 Posts
oops

Hi all
Had fun on Sunday,lovely weather etc etc, flew the Noobtube on the first battery without issue. I had noted on Saturday that the motor mount had come a bit loose on one corner and had intended to glue it but got sidetracked.

about a minute into the second battery just as I was revving up for soem sort of vertical manuever, arather strange noise heralded the motor coming off the fuse and plummetting to earth. A fellow flyer called out that he saw where it fell so I continued to watch the plane, expecting it to do soemthing weird.
it didn't
so I made a sharp left turn into wind and glided in for a lovely landing.

Thinking it odd that it didn't get tail heavy without the motor I looked it over. On the ground the battery had come out the front (long grass), but it wasn't out during flight, so my guess is the exiting motor pulling on the ESC pulled the battery forward enough to retain balance.

So, not too much to fix. The hot glue looks like it was just a little cold on one side allowing it to pull off, thus ripping the other side of the fuse where the glue did not let go. Looks like those gift cards are needed in this area. I didn't have any when I built it before Christmas, but now I do, so the repair will include some gift card engineering. I'll post pix later....
swarfer is offline Find More Posts by swarfer
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:51 AM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2013
87 Posts
How well do scratch built foamboard planes like the Axon hold up to crashes?
BlakeL is offline Find More Posts by BlakeL
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:47 AM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeL View Post
I don't know about the axon it's self but I can tell ya the wings are strong as I had my plane crash from about 150' up stright down no damage lol
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:52 AM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,133 Posts
Quote:
I think the fuselage is the weakest point. The wing form is very strong. I build a flying wing using the Armin method and it did not fly - but in trying, we threw it into the ground countless times on different days. No damage.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:22 PM
It Flys Me
United States, PA, Washington
Joined Jun 2012
77 Posts
Quote:
Noob here , I've crashed my axon at least 6 times. Just add more packing tape
and popsicle sticks. This plane can take a beating !
I've a video of axon crash in this thread - post 2081 - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2081
aldalo is offline Find More Posts by aldalo
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:03 PM
Fan of experimetalairlines
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
Nose cone has arrived for my foamboard P-51

The nose cone for my foamboard P-51'ish plane finally arrived, I think it finishes off the build quite nicely. This is the first attempt at a scale looking plane using Ed's technique.
rcnewbieoz is offline Find More Posts by rcnewbieoz
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:14 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewbieoz View Post
The nose cone for my foamboard P-51'ish plane finally arrived, I think it finishes off the build quite nicely. This is the first attempt at a scale looking plane using Ed's technique.
that is one good looking plane!
templton89 is offline Find More Posts by templton89
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:26 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2013
87 Posts
I started building the fuselage tonight for the Axon and I'm surprised how strong it feels. Tomorrow I'll be joining them and possibly starting on the wing.

I'm using the cheap Duck brand packing tape you can get at Wal-Mart for $1. According to their website, the standard tape is 1.9 mil. Will this work well or should I get something that is a bit thicker?
BlakeL is offline Find More Posts by BlakeL
Last edited by BlakeL; Feb 13, 2013 at 08:32 AM.