HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:30 AM
Old_Robin
United Kingdom, England, Oxon
Joined Aug 2012
49 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I have had a lot of people urge me to go away from Spektrum, but never to go from DX6i to another Spectrum. The only issue I have had is one where "something" went wrong (maybe Tx/Rx, maybe not) and I had repairs to do and as a result I got rid of both of the DMX2 receivers I had as a precaution and replaced them with DSMX ones. Since then I have had no problems and found that the DX6i suits me as a cheap "learning" transmitter. For the cost compared to the alternatives I think it definitely "OK" for now. But thanks, Regards - Robin...
Old_Robin is offline Find More Posts by Old_Robin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:18 AM
United States, PA, Meadville
Joined Feb 2011
156 Posts
ailerons and flaps in the armin wing

In producing my latest plane, a homage to the fun cub, I wanted to have a built up wing with the ailerons and flaps built in just like a real model. The pix show the result.
davovinch is offline Find More Posts by davovinch
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:30 AM
Racquetball Lives!
United States, AL, Prattville
Joined Jul 2010
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygyQ View Post
Hmm. Yes, I remember Ed's video also. I believe he used a model built with one 30" wing section for his demo, and that we're meant to double the stabilizer size when using a 60" wing.
I went looking for the reference. The plane I built previous to the twin was the photon. In Ed's build video of the photon he uses a 14" wide stab 6" to 8" chord for the 60" wing photon. Since my twin had a 60" wing I kept a similar sized stab. It has a 7 1/2" chord overall including the 1 1/2" elevator. I have plenty of stab authority in flight (both vertical and horizontal).

Dave
Backwall is offline Find More Posts by Backwall
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:12 PM
Out the Window
United States, FL, Alachua
Joined Jul 2004
1,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davovinch View Post
In producing my latest plane, a homage to the fun cub, I wanted to have a built up wing with the ailerons and flaps built in just like a real model. The pix show the result.
WOW....that is a beauty! Very clean build. It sure looks like my Super Cub. I would sure like to see a video of it in the air.

How much does it weigh?

Where did you get the great looking wheels?

VERY NICE,
Ray
High Flyin' is online now Find More Posts by High Flyin'
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:27 PM
Joined Dec 2012
19 Posts
"In producing my latest plane, a homage to the fun cub, I wanted to have a built up wing with the ailerons and flaps built in just like a real model. The pix show the result."

Great looking plane! Is the fuselage built from a tube? How did you get the taper?

If anyone knows of a video showing how to taper the fuselage tubes, I would be grateful.
Buggyboat is offline Find More Posts by Buggyboat
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:12 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davovinch View Post
Real slick!
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:25 AM
Joined Sep 2002
60 Posts
Davo,

What landing gear and wheels are those? They are the perfect size for a project I'm working on and I have had a difficult time finding that size.
Senior Killer is offline Find More Posts by Senior Killer
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:42 AM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
824 Posts
Even with the DSMX ones ( I have 3 ) I was still getting disconnects and the reconnect time on a brownout always meant a wrecked plane. There are several vids on youtube explaining the issue and the difference between the DX6i and a better transmitter. Just trying to save you some grief.

With the DX8 I have been using the orange RX receivers without one issue so far. The savings between buying 4 Spektrum recievers vs 4 Orange RX is enough to pay for a DX8 ( $299.00 ).

Soon as you lose a nice plane that DX6i will go bye bye fast... Just trying to save you from what I went through.

Nightstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Robin View Post
Thanks for the advice. I have had a lot of people urge me to go away from Spektrum, but never to go from DX6i to another Spectrum. The only issue I have had is one where "something" went wrong (maybe Tx/Rx, maybe not) and I had repairs to do and as a result I got rid of both of the DMX2 receivers I had as a precaution and replaced them with DSMX ones. Since then I have had no problems and found that the DX6i suits me as a cheap "learning" transmitter. For the cost compared to the alternatives I think it definitely "OK" for now. But thanks, Regards - Robin...
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Downtown Phoenix Skyline
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:51 AM
Old_Robin
United Kingdom, England, Oxon
Joined Aug 2012
49 Posts
Off to the shops to have a look at a DX8 then. Thanks Nightstone.
Nice looking plane, davovinch and I agree about the undercart looking tasty... Robin....
Old_Robin is offline Find More Posts by Old_Robin
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:56 AM
Joined Oct 2011
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwall View Post
I went looking for the reference. The plane I built previous to the twin was the photon. In Ed's build video of the photon he uses a 14" wide stab 6" to 8" chord for the 60" wing photon. Since my twin had a 60" wing I kept a similar sized stab. It has a 7 1/2" chord overall including the 1 1/2" elevator. I have plenty of stab authority in flight (both vertical and horizontal).

Dave
My Axon stabilizer is @ 40% of the total wing surface area, and looks too big. I haven't flown it yet, so I dunno about it's actual flight characteristics. The eye and the brain can play tricks -- my RCT ST has a 40/100 ratio and looks fine, whereas @ 40/100 my Axon looks odd. I suspect that the slower a plane goes, the more it "needs" a larger stablilizer surface area.
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:40 PM
Joined May 2012
148 Posts
Hello syzygyQ
That 40/100 ratio seems off to me. I couldn't find the page I wanted but did find this page.

http://www.starcadplans.net/index.ph...-designer.html

When I did a practice one it was 22% of wing area. I also won't call the Axon slow more mid range to me. Hope this helps. ~~~ Keep the planes and ideas coming guys love seeing the pics and learning new ideas on this foam stuff. IAFoamie
IAFoamie is offline Find More Posts by IAFoamie
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:55 PM
David the Swarfer
South Africa, EC, Grahamstown
Joined Sep 2010
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Robin View Post
I have built my first model (Snoopy) with Elevons and I have a Spektrum DX6i. I thought that my experience might be of use as I found the Spektrum manual as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
Funny, my first tx was a DX6i, and my first plane was a wing like a Zagi. I had no trouble setting up the elevons after reading the manual

Quote:
You are now way beyond the “Help” of the manual! You can RTFM as much as you like without success. I know.
hmmm. IIRC manual says to mount the servos with arms facing outward, and right hand servo into the AIL socket. Usually works. However, I have found that an elevon setup that works on my DX6i will need the plugs changed around to work with my DSX9.

Quote:
One other point to mention, Elevons drive the servos with two stick channels simultaneously, so if you apply some elevator while on full aileron, you will exceed 100% travel. The actual travel comes from Pythagoras as they are at right-angles to each other so two inputs of 100% actually creates 141% of travel. This is considered socially unacceptable to servos which really do not like going above 125% of the “design” travel.
To be kind to the servos the rates on both channels should be limited to 80%, which squaring, adding and square-rooting gives 110% of travel maximum. If you would prefer to limit the throw to 70% on the two channels, this will be 98% of full throw on the servo at its maximum.
Sorry this is a long post, but I had some trouble finding the information and I hoped this might help another Noobie sometime. Happy Flying
Strange, on my DX6i (purchased 2008), on which I just checked, the moment you select elevon mode the aileron and elevator travels are automatically reduced to 50%, as indicated on the 'monitor' screen, so max stick travel to a corner only gives 100% max servo travel. This is usually just fine for elevon planes because they are pitch sensitive, though you may want to increase aileron rate mechanically and reduce elevator in 'dual rates' to get a faster roll rate. Or you can do a custom mix to get any ratio you want, I did that to get much more roll rate on my wing once I'd learnt to fly.
swarfer is offline Find More Posts by swarfer
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:19 PM
Joined May 2012
148 Posts
OK I went back and watched ED's build to see what the stab was. 15" long by 6" mid and 3" at tips with 1.5 " movable on his skinnier wing Axon. My wing is 56" by 8.625" or 483 sq. inches. Stab is 16" by 6.25" center and 4.750" tips with 1.5" movable or 86 sq. inches. which is 18% of wing area. Hope this helps My fuse is at 40" to cut tail weight a bit.
IAFoamie
IAFoamie is offline Find More Posts by IAFoamie
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:56 PM
Paradise R/C Flyers in NY
United States, NY, Utica
Joined May 2010
957 Posts
some more work done on the Synapse build
bhcnomo is offline Find More Posts by bhcnomo
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:48 PM
Joined Oct 2011
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAFoamie View Post
OK I went back and watched ED's build to see what the stab was. 15" long by 6" mid and 3" at tips with 1.5 " movable on his skinnier wing Axon. My wing is 56" by 8.625" or 483 sq. inches. Stab is 16" by 6.25" center and 4.750" tips with 1.5" movable or 86 sq. inches. which is 18% of wing area. Hope this helps My fuse is at 40" to cut tail weight a bit.
IAFoamie
Nice. I'm going to take a couple of inches off of the ends, and also do a couple of angle cuts (flare). Same goes for the vertical stab. Good digging -- helpful.

Thanks!
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ