HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:16 AM
Racquetball Lives!
United States, AL, Prattville
Joined Jul 2010
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcommander View Post
Nice twin motor, does the plane fly well?
Pretty well. I takeoff directly from the grass. It can be sitting up straight or leaning over--it doesn't matter. The two little bell motors pull it off the ground within 20 feet. It is not an aerobatic plane. Because the fuse is slung low, it has a sort of pendulum effect. No diehedral, but it slowly tries to level out any way. It loops easily, but doesn't roll real well. It has a lot of roll coupling I haven't worked out yet, and the low fuselage is a little resistant to roll. I may yet add wingtip plates to counter spanwise flow and increase aileron effectiveness. But it makes a good camera platform. Landings are no problem either. I should probably protect my bottom better--it only has packing tape to slide on, but I'm not seeing any appreciable wear. the plane uses the standard 60" armin wing with about a 9 1/2" chord including 2" ailerons. The stab is 15 x 7 (5 1/2" chord and 1 1/2 " elevator). Vertical stab is 7 x7 with a 2 1/2' rudder. Bottom fuse is 26" long with a 4" outer diameter. Top fuse is 20" by 4" diameter. Tail boom is 1 x 3 1/2" by 30" with 10" slid into the upper fuse. I planned on the bigger diameter fuse in case I wanted the camera to sit back a little into the fuselage. If I were to make any change I would make the bottom fuse about half its height and I would probably put in a little x-bracing to help the fuselages hold their shape. The plane flies hands off on the long runs to keep me from jiggling the camera around. So it is really stable and all-in-all, I would say it flies pretty well. I added a video to this today. It's my first ever video. Quite a bit shakey at times and I probably need a little expo and to cut down to low rates to smooth it out a lot. Typically, I'm a yank and bank sort of flyer. I really need to slow down and try to fly smoothly. this is just some video over our local flying field.

Armin Wing Camera Ship (6 min 45 sec)

Dave
Backwall is offline Find More Posts by Backwall
Last edited by Backwall; Jan 30, 2013 at 08:00 AM. Reason: embedded video
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:33 AM
Racquetball Lives!
Joined Jul 2010
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalAir View Post
Hey, these are sweet! Seems like your camera plane could double as cargo dropper too. You have mad tape and covering skills to be sure.

Thanks for sharing.

Ed
The wrapping paper also comes from dollar tree. What I do is lightly spray the foamboard with a spray adhesive (3M77) with the paper still on. And here's the way to get a smooth paper job. Unwrap the wrapping paper from the roll and then roll it back on the roll with the printed side facing the roll. Now lay your roll on the edge of the foamboard and just roll it out (roll a little and smooth a little--keep repeating until the board is covered). Now tape as usual. I must say, this techniques is not forgiving of tape position, once the tape touches it, it's in that position to stay--you can't pull the tape back up without destroying the paper. Still, if you take your time, it's pretty easy to do correctly. BTW, the tail on the twin is 8mm poster board from Walmart with the holographic design already on it. I tried using the plastic holographic wrapping paper, but it kept coming up from the paper. So if I had to say so. I would say avoid cellophane and plastic wrapping paper as they might layup well, but come back in a couple of days and they're all wrinkled. That is not a problem with paper wrap.

Dave
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:26 AM
Racquetball Lives!
Joined Jul 2010
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklandia View Post
Would love to see some close up photos of that arrangement if you have any.
Until I get a picture, I hope this will help. Place your servo over the wing and aileron with the center of the servo horn on the hinge line. Draw around the servo on the wing only--keep it tight. On the aileron side, make a square cutout that touches the servo horn, but excludes the rest of the servo (we only want the aileron to be in contact with the sevo horn). Now remove the servo and cut on the outline you drew on the wing and remove the cutout from one surface only. I mounted my wing servos on the top of the wing, so I removed the cutout from the top of the wing only. Now connect your servo and zero it to center and place the servo horn lengthwise. Now place the servo in the upper wing and hot glue it in place. I also use a small strip of vinyl tape to cover the aileron ( it smooths the wing back out and also helps in holding the servo in place). On the aileron side, only hot glue the servo horn to the aileron. that's all it takes. I do cover the servo on the wing side with tape, but you dont have too. I do take an extra step because i just dont want to trust the aileron to only a glue joint. I take some very thin diameter piano wire (about 2" long) and push it through a hole in the servo horn into the aileron. Slide it in far enough so the other end of the wire will drop down into the hole cutout in the aileron. Now slide the wire back to the other side so it spans the cutout hole. Hot glue the wire in place. Now the servo horn as well as the wire are glued in and provide plenty of support. This is good only for a parkflyer or micro, but it works fine. I have not had a servo horn come loose from the aileron yet. I did have one tear the foam some, but a little more hot glue and it was good as new. The pics I'll take show a short wire version, but I think a wire across the entire span of the cutout would be best. Added these photos when edited today. The show both wins and the tail setup. I did notice I had cut through both sides of the wing proper and hotglued the servo to both sides and then covered both sides with tape. You can see the short pins I used on the wing. They're on the tail too, but the angle of the photo doesn't show them well.

Dave
Last edited by Backwall; Jan 30, 2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: added taping step
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:12 PM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
699 Posts
I like it! Might have to use that on the next build.

~psguardian
psguardian is offline Find More Posts by psguardian
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:47 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averan View Post
Some light slope flying with my powered Petrel 40" and freshly installed landing gear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7na...e_gdata_player
another sweet flying plane

it sounds almost like a real plane, i wonder if that's due to spinner vibrating or landing gear rattling
templton89 is offline Find More Posts by templton89
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:51 PM
Joined Jan 2011
11 Posts
Name: 8396144252_8234502a14_o.jpg
Views: 145
Size: 189.2 KB
Description: Big Bertha setup

This is a cargo plane I built a little over a year ago. It has a botched Armin wing on it (I wasn't watching the videos when I made it and the foil is much closer to the front rather than 1/3rd back). The body was made with 1/2" pink panther foam.

However, it flies great. I have had a couple of crashes with it, one when one of my ESCs shutdown and it came down from 100 feet in a flat spin. Barely any damage to the wings, a testament to the strength of the build technique.

The hole in the front was supposed to help push the cargo out the back, I also raised the floor into a ramp. So far the nerf footballs I usually drop need help getting out, usually about 80 degrees worth as seen in the video.

The angled stabilizer in the back is great for orientation when banking and the overall color scheme was for orientation in general.

It takes off in about 10 feet. If anyone is interested I can go look up the power system but I don't know off the top of my head.

Big Bertha RC Cargo Plane (2 min 17 sec)

Big Bertha 2 (2 min 50 sec)
Kai Wren is offline Find More Posts by Kai Wren
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:08 PM
Joined Jan 2011
11 Posts
Name: IMG_4060.jpg
Views: 88
Size: 135.2 KB
Description: Armin Slow Fly
Name: IMG_4061.jpg
Views: 85
Size: 162.2 KB
Name: IMG_4062.jpg
Views: 80
Size: 166.0 KB

My latest Armin wing creation is a slow fly attempt using a wing. I tried to stay away from any kind of fuselage or boom but to use the smaller battery I used in the video I needed the boom to balance it.

The wing panel was a 10 inch wing panel chord. 12.5 inch chord after sweep. 36.5" wingspan. I made the panels using 1 dollar tree foam sheet with a 9 inch chord but instead of beveling the edge I left it, folded it over and you have a 1 inch overhang on top. I then hot glued a 1 inch strip to the bottom and tore the paper off that and sanded that for the bevel.

Wing's plan shape http://fwcg.3dzone.dk/?wing_span=36....ow_mac_lines=1

Motor is a 1300Kv Blue wonder. Battery is a 1000mah Skylipo 40C. 25amp Turnigy plush

The plane flies without the forward boom with a 2200-2650mah, in fact I preferred the heavy battery despite the goal of a slow fly plane. It was moderately windy that day and the heavier battery tracked much better and it didn't fly all that much faster.

Plane weight is 1 pound, 2650mah battery was 8oz. I didn't weigh the 1000mah.

The huge sweep made the plane very stable and if you tried to stall it it would turn off rather than stall.

Wing loading with the 2650mah is .05 oz/in^2

Slowfly 1000mah (1 min 52 sec)

Ed, your design is so easy to make and so elegant. I have a bunch of projects planned using your design. Thank you for sharing.
Kai Wren is offline Find More Posts by Kai Wren
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:41 PM
United States, CA, San Rafael
Joined Mar 2012
131 Posts
@jetcommander: lots of lift on this wing, especially with a breeze! I'm guessing the auw is around 30oz. I had some great slow flights today using spoilerons and flaperons. It has a decent speed range with the 300w 1400kv motor and 8x5 prop.

@templeton89: there actually was a prop plane flying overhead during part of the video, but otherwise it is probably a resonant effect with the foam cone cowl I bent around the outrunner. I noticed it sounded pretty cool too after I watched the video!
Averan is offline Find More Posts by Averan
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:39 AM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
797 Posts
2 wings

Finished my 60" Simitar clone and almost done with a 46" swept wing.

Nightstone
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Downtown Phoenix Skyline
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:48 AM
Joined May 2012
148 Posts
Nightstone
In your blog you look like you are taping the spars and gluing to tape and when wing is folded you glue to the tape again. Is this a good way to do it? Never seen anyone glue to the tape. Can you give some info? I guess your hot gluing everything?
IAFoamie
IAFoamie is offline Find More Posts by IAFoamie
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:09 AM
AMA# 1004189
United States, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2012
336 Posts
hot gueing taped foam to taped foam is a stronger bond in my opinion. it is a result of trying to remove glue from taped foam, its hard.
conbones is offline Find More Posts by conbones
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:39 AM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
699 Posts
Hot glue, in my experience (it might be a difference in tape materials) let's go of tape without damaging it, but it will hold to foam to the point of taking foam with it. YMMV

~psguardian
psguardian is offline Find More Posts by psguardian
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:56 AM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Nice job Dave, I love the purring sound of those motors thanks!
jetcommander is offline Find More Posts by jetcommander
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:10 AM
Old_Robin
United Kingdom, England, Oxon
Joined Aug 2012
41 Posts
rcnewbieoz , re post 2491....
Many thanks for the dims and description. I am even more tempted now!
Now where is all that Depron.....
Robin
Old_Robin is offline Find More Posts by Old_Robin
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:08 PM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAFoamie View Post
Nightstone
In your blog you look like you are taping the spars and gluing to tape and when wing is folded you glue to the tape again. Is this a good way to do it? Never seen anyone glue to the tape. Can you give some info? I guess your hot gluing everything?
IAFoamie
Hot glue makes for quick strong builds. Yes I hot glue taped foam to taped foam. Its strong and if I need to remove a piece its as easy as sliding a razor under the tape. If it does come loose its easy to add glue. Lastly foam and hot glue don't always mix well as it will melt.

On my builds I do paper off so I need the tape for extra strength on the spars. I only use those spars and a small 18" wood strip for structure. There is no dowel going the lenth of the wings.

Nightstone
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Downtown Phoenix Skyline