SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:33 AM
Joined Jan 2013
153 Posts
Is a 5 or 6 inch chord to small for an 80 inch wingspan? All but the last ten inches will be supported with CF arrow shafts. Looking to reduce drag with a thinner Wing on a twin boom set up similar to the ozone.
DaFats is online now Find More Posts by DaFats
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:45 AM
Beginner RC Pilot
United States, CO, Broomfield
Joined May 2012
92 Posts
As promised, the maiden video of the 58" Bi-plane.

Sorry about the lighting conditions, but it is what I had to work with.
Double Trouble - Day 1 (6 min 16 sec)
achurin is offline Find More Posts by achurin
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:14 AM
Joined Jan 2013
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFats View Post
Is a 5 or 6 inch chord to small for an 80 inch wingspan? All but the last ten inches will be supported with CF arrow shafts. Looking to reduce drag with a thinner Wing on a twin boom set up similar to the ozone.
Also wondering if anyone has tip for mounting the wings in a mid wing configuration?
DaFats is online now Find More Posts by DaFats
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:37 PM
Fan of experimetalairlines
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcommander View Post
Good on you mate, as they say down under! What lipos do you use? do you use one or two lipos Thanks for setting the vid up with no music I appreciate that.
I use a single 2200mah 3s, can fly for 6 minutes and still have 11.1v left.
rcnewbieoz is offline Find More Posts by rcnewbieoz
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:24 PM
United States, CA, San Rafael
Joined Mar 2012
131 Posts
This is how I've been attaching my wings. High, mid or low, doesn't matter. Use magnets or just tape to keep them on, but this way they are easily removable for transport.

Basically, I create a short section of airfoil that just fits inside the wing. I then slot that section into the fuselage. Make sure the mounting section is wide enough to extend out an inch or two from the fuse so you can attach the wings to it. Of course, glue that sucker in place.

Averan is offline Find More Posts by Averan
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:20 AM
Old_Robin
United Kingdom, England, Oxon
Joined Aug 2012
49 Posts
rcnewbieoz,
Any dimensions for the tail feathers for the Red Baron to match the wing. Plans (hand-sketch of dims) would be good as it is by far the best proportioned looking plane I have seen for a while and with your excellent finish looks superb. Tempted to get out the Depron straight away"
Regards Old_Robin from the UK
Old_Robin is offline Find More Posts by Old_Robin
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:42 AM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
hi every one , and sorry for my fantastic english ^^
i really want a try to build the noob tube but i have a trouble i dont find a plan i look the ed video's but i cant understand english when is speaked .
plz if anyone can help me !
Saut C is offline Find More Posts by Saut C
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:22 AM
Ed @ Experimental Airlines
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saut C View Post
hi every one , and sorry for my fantastic english ^^
i really want a try to build the noob tube but i have a trouble i dont find a plan i look the ed video's but i cant understand english when is speaked .
plz if anyone can help me !
Sorry there are no printed plans but I think if you watch the videos carefully you will be able to tell the most important parts and dimensions. If you have specific questions please post here or send me a message.
ExperimentalAir is offline Find More Posts by ExperimentalAir
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:54 AM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
thx for your very fast answer. I think i will start the build today i will give you some feedback i will work with depron.
plz tell me the size of the wing, i dont understand cause you dont use the ruler thx again for your fantastic job.
last question :use only 6mm depron fuselage ang wings is ok?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:43 AM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saut C View Post
thx for your very fast answer. I think i will start the build today i will give you some feedback i will work with depron.
plz tell me the size of the wing, i dont understand cause you dont use the ruler thx again for your fantastic job.
last question :use only 6mm depron fuselage ang wings is ok?
The flat bottom of the wing is about 7 or 8 inches (18-20cm) for a 30" (76cm) wing.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:16 AM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
thx man let go cut some foam
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:17 AM
Joined Oct 2011
873 Posts
What is a "Plank"?

I came into the aeroplane scene after an initial year in helis. Some of the heli guys refer disparagingly to "planks", which I took to be a general slur against RC aeroplanes, basically a form of intramural chaffing.

Now I've been reading here about "planks" being twitchier and more challenging to fly than other aeroplanes.

What defines a "plank"? No dihedral? Low mount? Something about wing surface area? No fuselage / minimal fuselage -- no tail structure / minimal tail structure?

I sense a gap here in my knowledge that I ought to fix.

Thanks!
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:32 AM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,133 Posts
syz, I think it's mainly wing sweep angle, or lack thereof.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:36 AM
Resistered Loser
United States, IL, Paris
Joined Jul 2005
308 Posts
I have been wondering the same exact thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygyQ View Post
I came into the aeroplane scene after an initial year in helis. Some of the heli guys refer disparagingly to "planks", which I took to be a general slur against RC aeroplanes, basically a form of intramural chaffing.

Now I've been reading here about "planks" being twitchier and more challenging to fly than other aeroplanes.

What defines a "plank"? No dihedral? Low mount? Something about wing surface area? No fuselage / minimal fuselage -- no tail structure / minimal tail structure?

I sense a gap here in my knowledge that I ought to fix.

Thanks!
bicmedic is offline Find More Posts by bicmedic
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:24 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
Ed,
Thanks for the excellent schooling with the Armin Wing construction. I will be putting your lessons to the test tonight and can't wait for my color packing tape to arrive. I found a nice item that will probably serve two purposes in my shop that I thought I would share with you. I like the gift card tool for working the tape on the Armin Wing, but found something a little more rigid at Lowe's or Home Depot. Formica sample pieces seem very nice for this, but can also serve as the base plate for the motor mount on your aircraft. They are free and just a bit thicker than your typical credit card or gift card. You had mentioned there being several options and thought I would at least share that one with you.
mhfxfxr is offline Find More Posts by mhfxfxr