HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:56 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Nov 2010
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewbieoz View Post
I've got the building bug at the moment, this is my latest creation, a twin engine silver streak.
That I like, love the twins. Working on one now but not that nice, can you give the general mearsurments as in wing span, fuse lenght.

Again that looks great.

Jim
JamesBC is offline Find More Posts by JamesBC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:38 PM
Joined Dec 2012
19 Posts
I weighed the fiberglass spar. 44" long it weighs 2.4oz. How does that compare with the other material available?
Buggyboat is offline Find More Posts by Buggyboat
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:42 PM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
799 Posts
Simitar Clone

Here is a vid of my first 2 flights on my Armin Simitar Clone. Had my cg to far back on the first flight and ended up in a death spiral after a small loop. After replacing the prop she was ready for flight 2.

Wow... I have yet to fly anything this responsive or maneuverable. I'm hooked on Planks now. This really puts my swept wings to shame. When Bill Evans said the Simitar will fly circles around anything I did not quite believe it. I believe now...

For the newer folks... This is not a beginner plane and is handful to fly.

Vid is short with no soundtrack for our German friends. Nothing radical on the Vid just me getting a feel for the plane.

Now I need to make a fast one ( 100mph + ) and a big cruiser.

SimitarClone (4 min 13 sec)

Nightstone
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Downtown Phoenix Skyline
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:57 PM
Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
1,916 Posts
Experimental! These videos are great! I have only watched a few so far, but the video on making tubular fuselage is incredible! I have hated making anything but profile foamies because I can never get my joints to look good. Thank you for all the work you did in making these wonderful videos. I am super excited to go make a neat looking plane! In fact I am going to fire up the glue gun now and get to work. Maybe if it turns into something neat I'll upload a picture here.
hot glue is offline Find More Posts by hot glue
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:20 PM
United States, CA, San Rafael
Joined Mar 2012
131 Posts
@nightstone: congrats! =) and welcome to the club. A plank wing was the second plane I learned to fly after a Bixler....and I still don't have expo or dual rates! It sure does teach you finesse and small movements on the sticks. I was also able to accidentally pull the craziest maneuvers! ...knife edge spins, spinning tumbles, flat spins.

I'm about to rebuild my 60" plank again, this time all from $tree foam, but with much more taper to the wings (8" -> 4") and a thinner airfoil.
Averan is offline Find More Posts by Averan
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:22 PM
Beginner RC Pilot
United States, CO, Broomfield
Joined May 2012
89 Posts
My 58" Bi-plane

I am happy to announce that my new baby flies!!!

This 58" Armin wing construction bi-plane took about 3 days to complete. My wife was kind enough to share her kitchen with me for the duration.

I am still debating if I chose the right motor for the setup, but for now I am just learning to fly her with the D4023-850 Out Runner Motor and a 50A ESC. I am using a 1170 GWS prop.

I have some raw footage I will turn into a montage later today and hopefully get up on my blog shortly.
achurin is offline Find More Posts by achurin
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:43 PM
Fan of experimetalairlines
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
The Silver Streak Maiden

The twin motor Silver Streak actually files

I think it needs bigger motors, the blue wonders turning 8x4 props from hobbyking are adequate but a bit more power will improve the plane's aerobatic performance.

silver streak maiden (3 min 52 sec)

Some have requested dimensions:

Wingspan is 1190mm

Wing Chord is 185mm plus 50mm control surface

Fuselage is 830mm long, I glued half a foam ball (from craft shop) to the nose and shaped it. The tube cross section is 60mmx120mm.

Horizontal stab is 175mm x 400mm

Vertical stab is 175mm x 220mm

Wheels are 70mm dia x 20mm lighweight foam from Hobbyking.

I covered it with metallic grey contact paper. It is not very tear resistant so I've had to re-inforce it with packing tape at high wear areas.
rcnewbieoz is offline Find More Posts by rcnewbieoz
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:26 PM
United States, CA, San Rafael
Joined Mar 2012
131 Posts
@rcnewbieoz: nice flight! so smooth. great work mate.
Averan is offline Find More Posts by Averan
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:10 PM
United States, MO, KCMO
Joined Sep 2012
13 Posts
Real aircraft begging to be built Ed's way

Like building aircraft the Experimental Airlines way? Like to build a twin motor plane? Maybe throw in a canard for good measure? Want something that looks like a real plane? Google the Focke Wulf fw 42. Shape some foam for each end of the fuse and build one tube to slide into another with a foam windshield and you have a scale model. (almost)

I stumbled on this today and I think I am going to try to build it using a 6" cord with 2" control surfaces and a 60" span and scale everything else to fit. I am going for a model that will be newbie level to fly.

What do you think?

Darrell
delcie70 is offline Find More Posts by delcie70
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:45 PM
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Nov 2011
34 Posts
Too good not to share--

So I was out at the field yesterday flying my twin tail swept wing fighter, the club instructor was flying his noob that I built for him, and another guy was flying a PZ T 28. The noob and t-28 were involved in a mid air, causing the left main of the t-28 to become imbedded into the right wing of the noob and knocked the vertical fin off. The noob just kind of fluttered to the ground, and the t-28 crashed on landing. We pulled the wheel out of the wing, glued the tail back on, and covered the hole in the wing with some tape and he was off flying again. The t-28 was out for the count, but will fly again. The really funny part is the\at the noob pilot was flying his $1.50 airplane with a Spektrum Quique Somenzini transmitter! A $1200 transmitter for a $1.50 airplane was priceless I thought!
winglessbob is offline Find More Posts by winglessbob
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:16 PM
Joined Jan 2013
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by delcie70 View Post
Like building aircraft the Experimental Airlines way? Like to build a twin motor plane? Maybe throw in a canard for good measure? Want something that looks like a real plane? Google the Focke Wulf fw 42. Shape some foam for each end of the fuse and build one tube to slide into another with a foam windshield and you have a scale model. (almost)

I stumbled on this today and I think I am going to try to build it using a 6" cord with 2" control surfaces and a 60" span and scale everything else to fit. I am going for a model that will be newbie level to fly.

What do you think?

Darrell
Will the canard be the same cord or smaller?

Will you put control surfaces on the canard. It's a very interesting design!
DaFats is online now Find More Posts by DaFats
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:24 AM
United States, MO, KCMO
Joined Sep 2012
13 Posts
I have a 27" monitor and it was possible to get some scale measurements from the photos. Those measurements would scale (using a 60" wingspan) to a canard with a span of 24" and approx 3.5" - 4" cord with operational control surface. Length would be 40". Another interesting thought is build this with telescoping tubes to help make C.o.G adjustments and still maintain the scale look of the plane.

I hope the model will fly kind of like a AXN Floater Jet (Clouds Fly) or a Bixler. After learning to fly it well using standard controls, I would like to experiment with very slow flying by mixing the canard elevator and the main wing flaps to work together and maintain control at very high angles of attack.

Years ago, I witnessed Bert Ratan flying a canard home built (the Veri-Viggan) that did some amazing things as far as slow, high angle of attack maneuvers were concerned... Might be fun to try to work the kinks out to be able to do that with a model. (maybe using a 3 axis flight stabilizer)

Another thing I want to experiment with is again mixing flaps and canard elevator to act as duel spoilers in order to land a floater type aircraft on a dime. I just got my Fly Sky TH9X today. (Going to flash it to the ER9x firmware as soon as my SmartieParts card arrives) It seems to me this plane would be a good tool to use to put the TH9X thru it's paces. With both plane and radio, start simple, but wind up doing something complex.
delcie70 is offline Find More Posts by delcie70
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:05 AM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Quote:
The twin motor Silver Streak actually files

I think it needs bigger motors, the blue wonders turning 8x4 props from hobbyking are adequate but a bit more power will improve the plane's aerobatic performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4U2m...=youtube_gdata

Some have requested dimensions:

Wingspan is 1190mm

Wing Chord is 185mm plus 50mm control surface

Fuselage is 830mm long, I glued half a foam ball (from craft shop) to the nose and shaped it. The tube cross section is 60mmx120mm.

Horizontal stab is 175mm x 400mm

Vertical stab is 175mm x 220mm

Wheels are 70mm dia x 20mm lighweight foam from Hobbyking.

I covered it with metallic grey contact paper. It is not very tear resistant so I've had to re-inforce it with packing tape at high wear areas.
Any chance of a look at the vid without the music? It has been blocked here as usual because of a copyright issue :-(
jetcommander is offline Find More Posts by jetcommander
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:39 AM
Fan of experimetalairlines
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcommander View Post
Any chance of a look at the vid without the music? It has been blocked here as usual because of a copyright issue :-(
Here is a version without the music :

silver streak maiden - no music (3 min 52 sec)
rcnewbieoz is offline Find More Posts by rcnewbieoz
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:15 AM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Quote:
Here is a version without the music :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpKJq...=youtube_gdata
Good on you mate, as they say down under! What lipos do you use? do you use one or two lipos Thanks for setting the vid up with no music I appreciate that.
jetcommander is offline Find More Posts by jetcommander
Last edited by jetcommander; Jan 24, 2013 at 06:20 AM.