HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:06 PM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFats View Post
Has anyone been successful at making 1.25inch fuse's? I ask only because I am thinking about P38 style FPV plane 80 inch wing span (30/20/30)... able to run twins on the outer booms for a heavier payload or a faster more local mission, or run a large pusher with folding prop for longer range FPV. The center "Cockpit) will hang under the wing and obviously handle the payload Batteries, Pan and tilt camera, go pro. Do you think the 20 inch spread between the Booms is enough space to place Vtx on one side and Rx on the other and avoid interference? Would the 1.25 inch booms be large enough to accept Dlink Reciever and ant. on one side and Vtx/CP ant. on the other?
I used 1.25" booms on my 40" pusher. I do not use Ed's method of fuse design. I go paper off. I cut 4 1.25" x ? pieces and tape them and then glue them into a box. If they need extra reinforcement a carbon strip down the middle will do the trick.

It just comes down to how you want to build. I like paper off for lighter planes and others like it on for the strength.

Here is a link to the plane. It uses a wing and a half design with the booms coming off the half wing. It only made 2 flights as the ESC failed on flight number 2 and the plane caught on fire in air ( Vid included ). It flew great and had those 1.25" booms.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1769554

Nightstone

I'm slowly working on a 50" version currently with the same design.
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Downtown Phoenix Skyline
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:37 PM
Fan of experimetalairlines
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
Biplane in action

Some stills of the 'Red Baron' in-flight. Really enjoying flying this latest homebuilt, I think it has become my favourite...for now
rcnewbieoz is offline Find More Posts by rcnewbieoz
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:28 AM
Ed @ Experimental Airlines
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewbieoz View Post
Some stills of the 'Red Baron' in-flight. Really enjoying flying this latest homebuilt, I think it has become my favourite...for now
Wow, that is PROfessional looking!!
ExperimentalAir is offline Find More Posts by ExperimentalAir
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:01 AM
SARG5
10 Miles north of Russell, Ks. on US281 hy
Joined Oct 2009
655 Posts
Quote:
Any Plans??????? Looks interesting
SARG5
Kansas
SARG5 is offline Find More Posts by SARG5
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:18 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalAir View Post
Wow, that is PROfessional looking!!
Thanks Ed, that's high praise coming from you

Here is a video of the flight from which I captured the stills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=lA_m3uZko_s
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:22 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARG5 View Post
Any Plans??????? Looks interesting
SARG5
Kansas
Hi Sarg5

No plans, it is just a modified noob. Use a small section of square fuse for the top tube to attach the top wing. Cut some foam board for the outboard wing supports. Used the bottom of a plastic ketchup bottle for the nose cowling.

I made the landing gear by bending a strip of aluminium, drilling holes and threaded a 2mm piano wire through it as the axle.

I can post some close-up photos if you are interested.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:56 PM
Joined Jan 2013
153 Posts
These feel considerably heavier than the arrow shafts though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggyboat View Post
"For my push rods I go to Home Depot and get Empire Stake Flags 100 Pack for $7.98 a bundle."

I am sure someone has found this before but I am going to tell you about it anyway. I went to Lowes today to get some flags and found this stick reflector. The fiberglass shaft is about 44" and is 0.25" diameter. It was $1.99. They had some other styles with thicker shafts, for around $2.25, that may work for a slow stick tail boom. I thought it was cool.
DaFats is online now Find More Posts by DaFats
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:02 PM
Joined Oct 2011
871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justj View Post
I have done a couple of twin boom planes. An SO-11 type and a personal design. Check the 2nd plane in the video. The booms are triangular and taper to 1.25 at the tail.
Good one. Referring to the Chino Aviators Club video -- what do you use to cut that white glue viscosity down? Tap water? Or...??

Nice to know btw that I'm not the only who got to hurry up and build an Axon air frame and then wait on those long servo wires
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:12 PM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFats View Post
These feel considerably heavier than the arrow shafts though
The stake flags he is referring to would be used as control push rods, not spars. They are cheaper than music wire, but not corrosion resistant.

~psguardian
psguardian is offline Find More Posts by psguardian
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:06 PM
United States, AZ, Chino Valley
Joined Feb 2012
305 Posts
Cutting white glue

Just ordinary tap water for 'thinning' white glue.
J
justj is offline Find More Posts by justj
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:23 PM
Joined Dec 2012
19 Posts
"These feel considerably heavier than the arrow shafts though"

You are probably correct. I will weigh it tomorrow. I don't have any arrow shafts to compaire it to. I think it will work though.
Buggyboat is offline Find More Posts by Buggyboat
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:35 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
latest twin engine build

I've got the building bug at the moment, this is my latest creation, a twin engine silver streak.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:27 AM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Quote:
I've got the building bug at the moment, this is my latest creation, a twin engine silver streak.
Hey that looks really awesome, what motors & props? What does it weigh?
jetcommander is offline Find More Posts by jetcommander
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:48 AM
SARG5
10 Miles north of Russell, Ks. on US281 hy
Joined Oct 2009
655 Posts
Quote:
Hi Sarg5

No plans, it is just a modified noob. Use a small section of square fuse for the top tube to attach the top wing. Cut some foam board for the outboard wing supports. Used the bottom of a plastic ketchup bottle for the nose cowling.

I made the landing gear by bending a strip of aluminium, drilling holes and threaded a 2mm piano wire through it as the axle.

I can post some close-up photos if you are interested.
Not needed. You do great work. Keep us informed with more of your building
SARG5
SARG5 is offline Find More Posts by SARG5
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:05 PM
Joined Oct 2011
871 Posts
Quote:
Nice. Would you please post some close up photos of your Red Baron and Silver Streak models? Especially the Red Baron wing structure and the front ends and landing gear on both models.

Thanks!
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ