HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:47 PM
Joined Oct 2011
874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psguardian View Post
^^^ This is where I picked it up.

~psguardian
Nice! You got me the info I needed when I needed it, and I got to figure out how to RTFM before anyone told me to.

It's getting close enough now that I can taste it. I now “know" I can get there from here. I think I'll wait for the second or third build though to go for looks, and just go with anything I can cobble together now that is reasonably balanced with mechanical integrity. They all look good when they fly right.
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:56 PM
Joined May 2012
148 Posts
Hello syzygyQ
I go length wise Te to LE try to over lap 1/8 inch. For me I stick tape to table maybe 4 to 6 inches before wing and run across *hard to see clear next to white foam* then use credit card to lay it down. I trim the beginning after 3 or 4 layers. I also find it works better to just have the role of tape without the cutter on it. I just use a sharp blade to cut tape. I hope this made some sense.
I think we all get a couple of wrinkles before done. Just do your best.
IAFoamie
IAFoamie is offline Find More Posts by IAFoamie
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:58 PM
Joined May 2012
148 Posts
( I trim the beginning after 3 or 4 layers.) Not on top but tape side by side up the wing.
IAFoamie is offline Find More Posts by IAFoamie
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:00 AM
United States, CA, San Rafael
Joined Mar 2012
131 Posts
oh my goodness! i never even considered that someone might be using a tape roller!
Averan is offline Find More Posts by Averan
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:32 AM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
824 Posts
Been sick... Pancreatitis followed by the Flu... Here is my latest i'm building. Figured I would show some pics prior to closing her up.

Plane is an Armin Simitar Clone. Something about the shape and look of those planes that really attracts me. Hopefully she will fly well.

Note the landing gear is that carbon set from ebay for $1.79. Its back in stock and I picked up a few more sets as its great for Armin planes. Also you can see how I make my Epp mono block motor mount.

Nightstone
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Downtown Phoenix Skyline
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:30 AM
Joined Mar 2012
131 Posts
Love it! I gotta repair the fuse on mine.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:43 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstone View Post
Been sick... Pancreatitis followed by the Flu... Here is my latest i'm building. Figured I would show some pics prior to closing her up.

Plane is an Armin Simitar Clone. Something about the shape and look of those planes that really attracts me. Hopefully she will fly well.

Note the landing gear is that carbon set from ebay for $1.79. Its back in stock and I picked up a few more sets as its great for Armin planes. Also you can see how I make my Epp mono block motor mount.

Nightstone
Looks great!

I hope that square dowel which holds the tail is strong enough. I've had a similar setup on one of my planes and it would snap on rough landings... At one point I got lazy , and instead of replacing it , I'd just tape it up nicely before each flight
templton89 is offline Find More Posts by templton89
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:58 AM
Joined Mar 2012
131 Posts
Here's how I've been making my motor mounts lately. The tabs fold over the outside of the fuselage and are secured with tape. This has worked much better than cutting a wood mount and gluing it inside the fuse butted up against extra layers of foam.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:24 AM
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Nov 2011
34 Posts
Quote:

Nightstone
Do you have a link for that gear? I can't find it on ebay.
winglessbob is offline Find More Posts by winglessbob
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:21 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winglessbob View Post
Do you have a link for that gear? I can't find it on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Thunder-...item43b78bf4b7

Pick up some cheap wheels from HK and your set.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:22 PM
Joined Oct 2011
874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAFoamie View Post
*hard to see clear next to white foam* then use credit card to lay it down.
I know what you mean. Hovering the tape just at that edge. Good one...

Thanks!
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:26 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by templton89 View Post
Looks great!

I hope that square dowel which holds the tail is strong enough. I've had a similar setup on one of my planes and it would snap on rough landings... At one point I got lazy , and instead of replacing it , I'd just tape it up nicely before each flight
Tail has me worried too... Guess we will see how it holds up. I may try 2 rods if one is not enough.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:49 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Tail has me worried too... Guess we will see how it holds up. I may try 2 rods if one is not enough.

Nightstone
I hope it flies as great as it looks and you wont ever have to test that

Looks like you made a standard armin wing and the swept part is just a flat layer of foam added later on, is that correct?
templton89 is offline Find More Posts by templton89
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:52 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by templton89 View Post
I hope it flies as great as it looks and you wont ever have to test that

Looks like you made a standard armin wing and the swept part is just a flat layer of foam added later on, is that correct?
The wings are one piece of DT cut in half. That gives you 2 pieces that are 20x15. Each piece is then a wing. The fold is at the 6" mark. After the fold over you end up with 3 inches of flat in the back. Trim it till you get a 6 inches at the tip and 9 at the root. 2 wings and you have a 40 inch wing span.

18 x 1/2" wooden flat piece holds the wings together and crosses over the fuse. Small left over carbon rod for the front of the fuse and a square wood rod for the tail.

Real simple build. Crank one out in an evening or 2.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:56 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averan View Post
Here's how I've been making my motor mounts lately. The tabs fold over the outside of the fuselage and are secured with tape. This has worked much better than cutting a wood mount and gluing it inside the fuse butted up against extra layers of foam.
Thats actually a good idea... I'm going to keep my eyes open for some larger plastic stock so I can try it with bigger tabs and size it so it goes inside the tube.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member