HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:17 PM
WVCOUNTRYBOY
wvcountryboy's Avatar
United States, WV, Beckley
Joined Oct 2012
12 Posts
are the plans for this awesome plane ? i have build alot of experimental airlines (ed) planes and like them all.. would like to get the plans for this one if i can.. thanks
wvcountryboy is offline Find More Posts by wvcountryboy
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:33 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, San Rafael
Joined Mar 2012
131 Posts
Petrel40 plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcountryboy View Post
are the plans for this awesome plane ? i have build alot of experimental airlines (ed) planes and like them all.. would like to get the plans for this one if i can.. thanks
I've got a photo build log coming soon.....just need to upload them. Actually, I have a couple photos of the double box fuselage:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=5381989
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=5381991
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=5381988

The armin wing is a simpler version of this one:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=5348866
Averan is offline Find More Posts by Averan
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:33 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2011
926 Posts
Packing Tape Application Methods?

I've been achieving hit and miss results with my packing tape application (mostly misses).

What methods do you use to get good tape application results?

-- do you apply the tape lengthwise or widthwise?
-- do you overlap or try to get seamless edge alignment?
-- do you use an applying tool -- that takes a roll / has a handle?
-- do you have methods of getting that tape on bubble / wrinkle free?

It would be great to see a video of expert tape application...

Thanks!
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:43 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, San Rafael
Joined Mar 2012
131 Posts
I stopped using packing tape for covering and have used 3mm cold laminating film instead. I always use a gift/creditcard for applying bubble-free and I usually start with the leading edge in the center of a single piece that folds over the top and bottom with some overlap at the trailing edge.

I've only purchased the film from Staples ($20/10ft), but it's too pricey there and I need to order online. The cold laminating film is basically a very wide (20") roll of packing tape!

Whether you use packing tape or laminating film, I've found the best results are when I follow the curve of the airfoil from trailing edge to LE and back around to TE...stretching the tape/film tight the whole time so that it adheres to the foam under tension. This gives a surprising bit of rigidity to the wing, allowing me to minimize how much structural support I need inside. I don't think it matters which edge the tape overlaps on....I always reinforce the LE before I have even folded the airfoil into shape so I keep overlap to a minimum.
Averan is offline Find More Posts by Averan
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:56 PM
Fan of experimetalairlines
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
Maiden flight of the 'Red Baron'

Hi All

I maidened my armin wing biplane this morning and it flew surprisingly well! Only took two clicks of up elevator to trim her out...very happy with the result

I love these foamboard planes!

The Flight of the Red Baron (2 min 36 sec)
rcnewbieoz is offline Find More Posts by rcnewbieoz
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:18 PM
Registered User
smitty919's Avatar
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewbieoz View Post
Hi All

I maidened my armin wing biplane this morning and it flew surprisingly well! Only took two clicks of up elevator to trim her out...very happy with the result

I love these foamboard planes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9oV3...=youtube_gdata
Nice Top Notch job......
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:35 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, San Rafael
Joined Mar 2012
131 Posts
@rcnewbieoz: very nice! Loved it.
Averan is offline Find More Posts by Averan
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:49 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2011
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averan View Post
I stopped using packing tape for covering and have used 3mm cold laminating film instead. I always use a gift/creditcard for applying bubble-free and I usually start with the leading edge in the center of a single piece that folds over the top and bottom with some overlap at the trailing edge.

I've only purchased the film from Staples ($20/10ft), but it's too pricey there and I need to order online. The cold laminating film is basically a very wide (20") roll of packing tape!

Whether you use packing tape or laminating film, I've found the best results are when I follow the curve of the airfoil from trailing edge to LE and back around to TE...stretching the tape/film tight the whole time so that it adheres to the foam under tension. This gives a surprising bit of rigidity to the wing, allowing me to minimize how much structural support I need inside. I don't think it matters which edge the tape overlaps on....I always reinforce the LE before I have even folded the airfoil into shape so I keep overlap to a minimum.
Nice! Great suggestions...

Thanks!
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:08 PM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygyQ View Post
I've been achieving hit and miss results with my packing tape application (mostly misses).

What methods do you use to get good tape application results?

-- do you apply the tape lengthwise or widthwise?
-- do you overlap or try to get seamless edge alignment?
-- do you use an applying tool -- that takes a roll / has a handle?
-- do you have methods of getting that tape on bubble / wrinkle free?

It would be great to see a video of expert tape application...

Thanks!
I try to apply 'with the wind' a far as orientation goes. Overlap just enough to be sure there are no gaps. For wings start at trailing edge, root-to-tip (tip-to-tip on smaller single piece wings), last strip goes on leading edge covering both prior layers from top & bottom. That way wind won't peel up my work as tape ages. I anchor the strip of tape to my work top just off of the foam i'm working on, keep tension with my tape roll hand & use my debit card to bring the tape down to the foam. Tape roll hand tension & alignment is the key to wrinkle free layers.

~psguardian
psguardian is offline Find More Posts by psguardian
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:16 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2011
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psguardian View Post
I try to apply 'with the wind' a far as orientation goes. Overlap just enough to be sure there are no gaps. For wings start at trailing edge, root-to-tip (tip-to-tip on smaller single piece wings), last strip goes on leading edge covering both prior layers from top & bottom. That way wind won't peel up my work as tape ages. I anchor the strip of tape to my work top just off of the foam i'm working on, keep tension with my tape roll hand & use my debit card to bring the tape down to the foam. Tape roll hand tension & alignment is the key to wrinkle free layers.

~psguardian
Nice description. I can see it!

Good one

Thanks!
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:21 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, San Rafael
Joined Mar 2012
131 Posts
yup, what he said.
Averan is offline Find More Posts by Averan
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:08 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2011
926 Posts
Armin Wing Video Guide: Ten Part Series

I missed the nine part follow up YouTube series on Armin Wing construction. You might also miss them if you do either of these things I've done, namely: viewing the videos on an iPad, or using the generally excellent Firefox plug in "Download Helper". Each of these methods seems to strip out the embedded links to the related nine part series otherwise presented in the nominally 19 minute overview video. This may not be universally true (or even true more than once), but from what I can see so far it looks like those links can strip out.

Now that I've found and downloaded the nine part series, they also show up promptly in "any" search for "Armin Wing". I'm pretty sure though that in my earlier searches on "Armin Wing" the nine part series either didn't show up or got buried enough pages deep to become non-obvious to find. If you have any difficulty locating the series, maybe try this exact search phrase: "the armin wing".
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:51 AM
Registered User
jetcommander's Avatar
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygyQ View Post
I've been achieving hit and miss results with my packing tape application (mostly misses).

What methods do you use to get good tape application results?

-- do you apply the tape lengthwise or widthwise?
-- do you overlap or try to get seamless edge alignment?
-- do you use an applying tool -- that takes a roll / has a handle?
-- do you have methods of getting that tape on bubble / wrinkle free?

It would be great to see a video of expert tape application...

Thanks!
I just watch Eds videos itīs all there, it is a bit tricky at first, I just practiced on some old cardboard at first, occassionally you get a wrinkle itīs just a matter of practice, hang in there !!
jetcommander is offline Find More Posts by jetcommander
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:21 PM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcommander View Post
I just watch Eds videos itīs all there, it is a bit tricky at first, I just practiced on some old cardboard at first, occassionally you get a wrinkle itīs just a matter of practice, hang in there !!
^^^ This is where I picked it up.

~psguardian
psguardian is offline Find More Posts by psguardian
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:56 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,162 Posts
And if you wrinkle it all up and it doesn't meet your aesthetic standards, finish the build anyway and give it to a new flyer and let him beat the snot out of it. Then he can learn how to build and repair foamboard planes, too! Pass it on.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log SEW-SLO 30" Foamboard Wing Atx_Heli Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 59 Oct 18, 2014 07:22 AM
Build Log SEW-SLO 30" Foamboard Wing Atx_Heli Flying Wings 0 May 19, 2011 10:47 PM
Question So I have a sheet of $Tree foamboard... what to build? Bomb Dropper Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 15 Mar 23, 2011 03:49 PM
Discussion EDF/Motor for University Design Project uwpropulsionguy Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 0 Mar 06, 2011 04:24 PM