HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:22 PM
United States, FL, Leesburg
Joined Aug 2010
161 Posts
For my push rods I go to Home Depot and get Empire Stake Flags 100 Pack for $7.98 a bundle.
Vance1 is offline Find More Posts by Vance1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:55 PM
United States, MS, Gulfport
Joined Jan 2013
19 Posts
Hi, I'm a noob and want to graduate to ailerons. I think I'm ready. I want to make the Axon or Noob tube. I just went to hobbypartz and bought this setup. Will this work, or will I need to get different parts?

Dynam Detrum 30A ESC
Exceed RC Rocket 2210-1420KV
http://www.hobbypartz.com/86ma62-2210-1420kv.html
Turnigy 1800mAh 3S 20C Lipo
I also got the 2.4G Fly-Sky (FS) CT6B, 9g servos, connectors, and several size props.
the motor only puts out 160 watts, and the original recommended one is like 300w but it is on backorder. thanks.
ok. now I read at hobbypartz their test was 315W. this must have been why I chose this motor.
adamh1281 is offline Find More Posts by adamh1281
Last edited by adamh1281; Jan 10, 2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:29 PM
United States, UT, St George
Joined Apr 2011
12 Posts
Everything looks great with what you've got, but the motor has a slower KV, so it needs a larger prop, like 8", than what would work with the Axon.

The Axon needs a higher kv so that it can run a prop no larger than 6". It would have enough power for both planes, i have this same motor but at 2200 kv and i've built both the Axon and the Noob using that motor.

So in short, it will work for the Noob, but to get it to work with the Axon you'd have to make adjustments to accomodate the larger prop.

The Noob was actually my first aileron plane, what's nice is that you can actually fly it without using the ailerons, it just turns slower. I would still put them on though, just so you can trim it out in the air. Hope this helps!
tommy_1800 is offline Find More Posts by tommy_1800
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:57 PM
United States, MS, Gulfport
Joined Jan 2013
19 Posts
thanks

thank you very much. I did buy 6" and 8" props of varying pitches. I may alter the design to make the wing 3 or 4" above the Fuse, or put the motor on the front of the axon. I want to make the wing with some dihedral, so I may change some things up and test. Or just simply make the noob with the 8" prop. I think I may have a few crashes in my destiny...
adamh1281 is offline Find More Posts by adamh1281
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:46 PM
Too much to do not enough time
Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2010
275 Posts
Real quick guys. While I have not trolled all 158 pages of this thread, I'm wondering if anyone else has discovered another version of redi-board. I've moved to college in Kansas this year, and there are no dollar-trees around here. I still however have my plane-building fix. So after trolling around town, I discovered something mind-blowing. Besides normal redi-board that dollar tree sells, there was another product on the shelf. Same company, same foam. EXCEPT: this stuff is only about 3mm thin. It's called Redi-Erase board, the only difference from the standard stuff is it does not have a paper coating, but a type of transparent plastic film laminated on. I grabbed a handful of sheets, and I've begun experimenting with the stuff. The biggest advantage to this material that I see is for coloring purposes. The dry-erase surface doesn't shed sharpies off, it actually adheres better than raw foam. You can handle the colored surface without anything bleeding onto your fingers. And sharpie colors are VERY vibrant on this surface. Both sides are laminated, 1 is easier to remove than the other. If you want to remove the film, only do it from the side that does NOT have the label. The other side is very difficult to peel in some semblance of a single piece. It tears like crazy. I'm beginning to build something with this stuff as I write here, but I am thrilled with this product. I'm thinking that this stuff will work incredibly well with the armin wing technique, as this eliminates the need to remove any paper, and you don't even need to use colored packing tape. The foam is a bit thinner, a bit flimsier, but nothing that a spar couldn't fix. Anyone else find this stuff? Just wanted to share this with you all.
BobaFett1138 is offline Find More Posts by BobaFett1138
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:41 PM
To Build? or Build Another?
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Feb 2009
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance1 View Post
For my push rods I go to Home Depot and get Empire Stake Flags 100 Pack for $7.98 a bundle.
Genius! On my shopping list
genetix is offline Find More Posts by genetix
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:58 PM
I ask a lot of questions.
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Aug 2012
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance1 View Post
Funny you should mention these as I had just looked at them the other day at LOWES.

What diameter is that wire? I thought it looked a little thick...but then again I'm a total noob!
Disco Stew is offline Find More Posts by Disco Stew
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:32 AM
Joined Jul 2012
43 Posts
BobaFett1138, where did you find the redi-erase board? Thanks
oh and looked at R.L. Adams Plastics website and redi-erase board is listed as well as redi-board premium.
http://www.adamsplasticsinc.com/inde...d/poster-board
It's near the bottom of the page
g828 is offline Find More Posts by g828
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:59 AM
David the Swarfer
South Africa, EC, Grahamstown
Joined Sep 2010
94 Posts
african readi board

Here in South Africa the foamboard has a thick paper attached. If you try to pull it off, you normally just get the top half of the sheet. This is because it is glued on.
What to do?
It turns out that th glue is a hot glue. By using my covering iron set fairly hot, I was able to peel the paper off as needed. You need to heat and peel continuously, and don't get the foam hot enough to melt.

My NoobTube with 40" wing flies very nicely.
swarfer is offline Find More Posts by swarfer
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:39 AM
United States, FL, Leesburg
Joined Aug 2010
161 Posts
Flag wire is 1/16" or 1.56mm. Not my idea I picked it up from one of the scratchbuilt build logs.
Vance1 is offline Find More Posts by Vance1
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:13 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,309 Posts
well this was a gut wrenching feeling lol

Plane Crash with the Gopro (0 min 56 sec)
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:23 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2011
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyplugs View Post
well this was a gut wrenching feeling lol

http://youtu.be/H8xJaOSXD2w
flew so nicely in the begining, gopro footage is really stable
templton89 is offline Find More Posts by templton89
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:05 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by templton89 View Post
flew so nicely in the begining, gopro footage is really stable
yup i think i had a bad receiver it was new first flight and i never did a range check my fault
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:06 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,309 Posts
Good news is no real damage other then the landing gear ripping off
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:17 PM
Too much to do not enough time
Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2010
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by g828 View Post
BobaFett1138, where did you find the redi-erase board? Thanks
oh and looked at R.L. Adams Plastics website and redi-erase board is listed as well as redi-board premium.
http://www.adamsplasticsinc.com/inde...d/poster-board
It's near the bottom of the page
Yep, that appears to be the stuff. I found it in a little store in town, essentially a dollar store. I don't even think it has a NAME, it just says, "Amazing deals" on the window. It was selling for $1.25 a sheet. A bit more than usual, but that's the best I can get where I live.

http://www.adamsplasticsinc.com/inde...di-erase-board
BobaFett1138 is offline Find More Posts by BobaFett1138