HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:28 PM
United States, OH, South Lebanon
Joined Jul 2005
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Eutsler View Post
I wonder how much [inches] I should set all the surfaces on this Noob Tube

to start off with ??.....................te
1/2-3/4" on all surfaces should be plenty.
TimJC is online now Find More Posts by TimJC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:31 PM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
831 Posts
Noob Tube Throws

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJC View Post
1/2-3/4" on all surfaces should be plenty.
Thanks I may use that on high rates at first ?? and go from there ...
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:18 PM
Joined Dec 2012
19 Posts
Hey Viper522 great idea. Thanks!!!
Buggyboat is offline Find More Posts by Buggyboat
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:45 PM
Joined Jul 2005
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Eutsler View Post
Thanks I may use that on high rates at first ?? and go from there ...
I imagine you have more stick time than me, but the stock dimensions for the Noob Tube lend themselves to a light setup. I ran mine first one and a half Noob Tubes with a 850mah battery and the AUW was around 20oz.

The first motor I used was a BC2826 2200kv with a 6x4 prop and it was extremely quick with around a 1:1 thrust ratio.

The second motor I used was a BC2826 1400kv with an 8x4 prop. This tends to be the more common setup, as it is slower and has more thrust. With this motor you could probably go with a bigger battery (1300mah) and have it cruise nicely. With the 850mah you will get more that 1:1 thrust, and it will take off out of your hand.

Ultimately, the Noob Tube is not a beginner plane, but I imagine it could do some wonderous things in the right hands. On one end, unlimited acrobatics could be possible, and on the other, maybe something closer to a pylon racer.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:52 AM
Joined Oct 2011
884 Posts
Axon -- Pushrod Specs?

What spec pushrods work well / best on the Axon (driven by 9g HK servos)?

Can you supply a link to good pushrods for the Axon?

Thanks!
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:53 AM
To Build? or Build Another?
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Feb 2009
145 Posts
Hey Experimental Air,

First off thank you for spending so much time creating these awesome videos for everyone's benefit. Truly Appreciated! I've built a few of your wings (with some mods) and they fly just awesome.

I have a special request, I've been searching for a while on these forums and others for an easy DIY landing gear solution. SO far, I've come up short with most I've found. Nothing screams sturdy and most were for profile foamies.

I was wondering if you could take the time to use that creativity of yours to maybe try and create a simple, cheap, and quick option to make home made landing gear? One that would work great with your fuse design as well as others like an extra 300 style for example.

I think most of us have the wheels already and just need a strong sturdy base, but hey, why not go all out?

Just a thought. Thanks for reading!
genetix is offline Find More Posts by genetix
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:12 PM
Joined Jul 2005
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygyQ View Post
What spec pushrods work well / best on the Axon (driven by 9g HK servos)?

Can you supply a link to good pushrods for the Axon?

Thanks!
I use .047" (~1.2mm) music wire from my local hobby shop. This is a little thin for stretches longer 6-8 inches. You can go longer than this, but you will need to find a way to reinforce the rod to keep it stiff. Additionally, I try to setup the elevator my "pushups" are pulling (under tension) for up elevator.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:08 PM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
710 Posts
I also use 1.2mm music wire. For runs longer than 8" I mount a brace mid rod. Stab a bamboo skewer into the plane so that it is just next to the rod & sticks up just over it. Glue it into place. Get a 1" section of coffee sir straw (2-3mm inner diameter) & slide it up the rod, now glue it to the skewer. Done. I have used this for 18" runs & have perfect control both pushing & pulling the surface in question.

~psguardian
psguardian is offline Find More Posts by psguardian
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:13 PM
Joined Oct 2011
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJC View Post
I use .047" (~1.2mm) music wire from my local hobby shop. This is a little thin for stretches longer 6-8 inches. You can go longer than this, but you will need to find a way to reinforce the rod to keep it stiff. Additionally, I try to setup the elevator my "pushups" are pulling (under tension) for up elevator.
Nice. Excellent guidance.

1.2mm it is -- and I'm going to get that up elevator move to be a pull rather than a push. I hadn't thought of that -- clearly an excellent idea.

Thanks!
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:14 PM
Joined Oct 2011
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psguardian View Post
I also use 1.2mm music wire. For runs longer than 8" I mount a brace mid rod. Stab a bamboo skewer into the plane so that it is just next to the rod & sticks up just over it. Glue it into place. Get a 1" section of coffee sir straw (2-3mm inner diameter) & slide it up the rod, now glue it to the skewer. Done. I have used this for 18" runs & have perfect control both pushing & pulling the surface in question.

~psguardian
Nice!! I am definitely going to do that. Good one.

Thanks!
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:12 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,307 Posts
OK i did some more work on the plane i got the ailerons on and working also finished the tail section by adding carbon rod bracing moved the main wing back on the fuselage to get as close to a CG till the test flight.

Took it in my yard to see how the wheels would handle the grass so i goosed the throttle and she went airborne in a short distance around 10' lol only about 1' off the ground but she floated for a good 5' with no power till touchdown i sure have a good feeling about this one...
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:18 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,307 Posts
as soon as i get some good flights on her i will move the battery back and mount the GoPro and start the filming i want to do...

So what should i call her???

Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:20 PM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyplugs View Post
Took it in my yard to see how the wheels would handle the grass so i goosed the throttle and she went airborne in a short distance around 10' lol only about 1' off the ground but she floated for a good 5' with no power till touchdown i sure have a good feeling about this one...
Now that's a good sign! No tip stall, nose dive, backflip.

Video maiden?

~psguardian
psguardian is offline Find More Posts by psguardian
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:34 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psguardian View Post
Now that's a good sign! No tip stall, nose dive, backflip.

Video maiden?

~psguardian
lol Yup kind of took me by surprise it lifted off so easy and fast lol...
I will most definitely shoot a maiden flight just hope the weather will work this weekend I'm pretty sure this is going to be a calm day flier
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:56 PM
Fly-by-nite operator
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined May 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proper Job View Post
Ed,
You guys in the States seem to have ultra cheap prices of things like $ Tree Foam Board, Packing Tape and general hardware.
I recall that the price of DTF has been stated in this thread as US$1 per sheet (20”x30”) – hope my recollection is correct!
I have to pay seven (7) times your price at A$14 per sheet of 1000x800x5mm Foamboard (39.3”x31.5”) at the local RIOT Craft store.

Your prices of everything seems to be very low compared with those here in Australia.
Ed asked us all to publish details of any good sources of building material found , so others can benefit, so here goes:
At least I can now report a bit of good news for the Aussie readers/builders this side of the Pacific, I have found some Coloured Packing Tape at KMart (our equivalent of your Wal-Mart maybe). The brand is “OfficeOne” and at A$5 for a pack of 6(six) 50metre (54yds) rolls, undoubtedly seems to be a red-hot bargain!. I bought 2 packs for a couple of Axon type projects I’m about to start. I can’t give the URL link as I haven’t found a website.

BTW, how much do you guys pay for Bob Smiths C.A ? We pay A$7 for a 1/2oz bottle at the LHS. Although I just got 2 bottles of Gold from HK but not much cheaper though.
Hope this is useful
Geoff
Geoff,

There was a discussion earlier in this thread about the high cost of foam board in Aus compared to US. Ed even offered to ship a box of their dollar tree board over but we couldn't find a freight option that was cheap enough and convenient enough. Since then I have purchased a box of foam board from Draftex (http://www.draftex.com.au/) which at $55 for a box of 10 A1 sheets is a better deal than the Riot board.

Re: the coloured tape, it can also be obtained for a similar price from Office works.
harmic is offline Find More Posts by harmic