HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:44 PM
Joined Jan 2012
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman26 View Post
I don't know if they have Home Depot or Lowe's up there, but just go to a large lumber yard or hardware store, find their metal bin, where they sell pieces of sheet metal for projects, they should have aluminum strap in 3 or 4 ft lengths, about 1 1/2" wide, and about 1/8" thick. A piece of that will make a lot of motor mounts! Bend an L shape, then cut it off with a hack saw, then drill the holes you need to fit your motor.

This isn't a real high stress application, so you don't really need to worry about exactly what kind or grade of aluminum it is, just make sure its thick enough not to flop around.

You could also use aluminum flashing, its pretty flimsy, but you could laminate 3 or 4 sheets together to get the stiffness you need. Those would be found in the roofing materials area.
I know this has been mentioned before, but for motor mounts I love the stimpson strong-tie angle brackets from Home Depot. click here Those ones will work fine, but my local HD has a version with gussets at the corner for extra rigidity. I have used them with 500w motors with no problems.
nieder2 is offline Find More Posts by nieder2
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:56 PM
Joined Mar 2011
63 Posts
Just started to design drone here.

http://subsonichobby.blogspot.com/20...cdrone-v1.html
SubSonichobby is offline Find More Posts by SubSonichobby
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:12 AM
Joined Nov 2005
594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSonichobby View Post
How are you going to mount the motor. The reason I ask is because the back of the fuse is open.
soulreaper is offline Find More Posts by soulreaper
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:02 AM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSonichobby View Post
Have a look on You Tube "MrWest1960" he built a drone that was entered in a EA competiton a while back and flies just great, your design looks just like his!
jetcommander is offline Find More Posts by jetcommander
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:51 PM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flyin' View Post
I have a rebuilt/upgraded Super Cub that I painted and called a Tiger Cub. It was given to me and was in very bad shape. I rebuilt it and upgraded to a good brushless motor, put it on the 72 band, and used a LiPo battery in it. It flew well for a trainer, but I wished I had taken the diheadral out of the wing. Maybe with less diheadral it would roll better. Of course it is a trainer, but it was a real struggle for it to roll without losing some altitude and seemed to take forever. When I rebuilt the Cub I put a wood spar in the wing so I could get rid of the wing braces...they seemed a little weak to me. So it would be a real problem to make the wing flatter.

Anyway after reading and seeing the videos about the Armin wing, I thought this would be a way to see if I can change the way my Tiger Cub flys with a different wing. The Armin is about the same profile as the standard Super Cub wing. The Super Cub has a 48" span with rounded tips and a 7" wide wing. The Armin wing I built is a 44" wing with square tips and a 7" wide wing with 2" ailerons added. The Armin has a arrow shaft for a spar and the wing weighs about 2 oz more than the standard Super Cub wing. I was hoping that it would weigh the same or even less. Maybe I used too much glue and tape. The Armin actually has a little more wing area, weighs more, and no wash out built into it....so???

I hope it will fly....or even fly better! What do you think the result of the new wing will have?

Here are some photos of the Tiger Cub with the standard wing and with the Armin wing:

Ray

ps even if the wing does not improve the flight of my Cub, it was fun and informing to build the Armin wing. I have been looking at the Noob Tube and it looks like maybe my next build. I will have to visit Dollar Tree next week for sure.
ExperamentalAir has sure done a great job with his designs and videos!!!
Hey High Flyin'

Did you ever fly this bird, how did it go? It's winter and I'm bored and I have a Super Cub that I was thinking about building an Armin wing for. I hadn't seen your post before and just stumbled on it today, would love to hear how this worked out for you.

Cheers,
Geoff
gbmarsh is offline Find More Posts by gbmarsh
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:16 PM
Joined Mar 2011
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreaper View Post
How are you going to mount the motor. The reason I ask is because the back of the fuse is open.
I will use a motor mount http://www.rcfoam.com/product_info.p...ceff77125f4b7e

Might either bolt or glue the mount on top of the wing.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:21 PM
Joined Mar 2011
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcommander View Post
Have a look on You Tube "MrWest1960" he built a drone that was entered in a EA competiton a while back and flies just great, your design looks just like his!
Thanks... will see if there is any improvement need it. All drone look alike!

Hey subscribe my Subsonichobby YouTube channel for latest development.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:24 PM
Joined Mar 2011
63 Posts
Delete
Last edited by SubSonichobby; Dec 28, 2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:39 AM
U Bend em - we mend em
Australia, NSW, Henty
Joined Jun 2011
82 Posts
More on Motor Mounts

In response to SyzygyQ and Nieder2, I have found two possibilities

First, is a sheet Metal Angle Bracket 40x50x50mm (1.5"x2"x2")which I bought from Bunnings in Australia (similar to Home Depot I think) a couple of weeks ago (planning ahead for my Axon build) - very similar to the Stimson Bracket suggested by Nieder2.
It may be very useful with the holes already, ready to mount those 2826 motors, it weighs 28grams.

Second is one I cut from a 50x50mm PVC Angle Moulding I had in my shed/hanger. I cut it to 50mm(2"). Its fairly stiff, so will not flex much and weighs in at only 8grams.

Great info on this thread - keep it up guys (and Ed of course)

Hope this might be helpful.
Geoff
Proper Job is offline Find More Posts by Proper Job
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:23 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
669 Posts
The main thing I don't like about those angle brackets from the lumber yards is they are usually galvanized steel and extremely heavy, the ones I make out of aluminum weigh almost nothing.
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:34 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
speaking of mounts...

Since there have been some questions about motor mounts, I'll share my latest mount.
Local HD was out of Simpson Strong Ties part a21z - http://www.homedepot.com/buy/simpson...l#.UN-Zwm80V8E

so I got this one instead (RTU2)
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ec...1#.UN-aD280V8F
templton89 is offline Find More Posts by templton89
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman26 View Post
The main thing I don't like about those angle brackets from the lumber yards is they are usually galvanized steel and extremely heavy, the ones I make out of aluminum weigh almost nothing.
I agree, I just buy a strip of aluminium similar in width the that steel bracket, cut of a required piece, drill it and bend it, hey presto! Thatīs what you do right?
jetcommander is offline Find More Posts by jetcommander
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:20 AM
Racquetball Lives!
United States, AL, Prattville
Joined Jul 2010
204 Posts
Thing 2 bites the dust

Dr Seuss' Cat in the Hat story had two interesting creatures--Thing 1 and Thing 2. My thing 2 was a photon converted to twin motors. I used the hobbyking AX-2308n 1800kv bell motors with 7X6 GWS props. They came with stick mounts so I had to buy some 8mm radial mounts and then I drilled the mounts out to 9mm to fit the motors larger diameter (I could only find mounts in 8mm and 11mm--too large). The photon had flown before, but I felt it needed an upgrade to support a camera. I used simpson strong ties (A18) to make my wing mounts. These little motors only have about 326 grams of thrust each, but the plane took off like a scalded dog (and that was with a 3000mah 30C 11.1V batt in the nose). The only problem was the aileron locked up. I think I over stressed it, stripped the servo, and it rolled off the wing and headed for terra firma. No problem! I had secured the wing with 3m extreme grade two-sided tape. The nose actually hit first and crumpled a bit, but the wing just twisted off. Looks like everything survived, so it will live to fly another day (probably with a whole new fuse more like the axon. So much for 5 gram servos. I think I'll stick with 9 or 12 gram servos for future builds. I still have another photon with an exceed RC rocket 2215-1850kv and it continues to fly well. It also uses the simpson strong ties for motor mounts. My only problem with the ties is that it's easy to break small drill bits.

Dave
Backwall is offline Find More Posts by Backwall
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:43 AM
Paradise R/C Flyers in NY
United States, NY, Utica
Joined May 2010
954 Posts
motor mount
Everbilt 5 in. x 6 in. Shelf Bracket from home depo

FOAMBOARD DELTA WING (1 min 30 sec)
bhcnomo is offline Find More Posts by bhcnomo
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:46 AM
United States, CA, San Rafael
Joined Mar 2012
131 Posts
A short vid of my armin plank wing:
Tight turns with my $tree armin plank Petrel. (1 min 1 sec)

I should not have attempted the loop without more throttle. Stalled and lost control, flew into a thicket of trees off-camera.
Averan is offline Find More Posts by Averan