HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:34 AM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2012
42 Posts
I think part of the reason I am having trouble with the gear stressing the fuze is because I haven't got the CG and elevator throws just right. I put an 11" wing chord on the plane with the thought that it would help slow it down for landing. I originally had some troubles with a pitchy plane so I added some expo and turned the elevator throws down. That has made it less pitchy at full speed but harder to land nice as I have very little elevator contol for flares when I land now. ( I do not have a dual rate radio). I may add a gift card to the elevaror for more survace to see if that helps and put some throw and just add some expo to help tame it when buzzing around at full speed.
rjmyklebust is offline Find More Posts by rjmyklebust
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:36 AM
Canada, AB, Olds
Joined Apr 2011
94 Posts
@rjmyklebust - The landing gear by RevJVegas that he posted here (http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=CGG_7RIInrM)) is still my go-to-gear and uses 2.5mm. music wire
Rob Mackenzie is offline Find More Posts by Rob Mackenzie
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:04 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
669 Posts
In addition the landing gear is FAR too far forward, the axles should be just about even with the leading edge of the wing, your axles are several inches forward of that, on a plane this size that is a huge amount.

Look at the photos of just about any airplane with conventional landing gear, the axles will be pretty close to the leading edge of the wing.

Here's my giant scale Extra 260, the axles to the landing gear are almost exactly under the leading edge of the wing.
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Last edited by Wingman26; Dec 21, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:11 PM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
799 Posts
I give up on the Armin Flying Wing.

Batgirl died. Man... Could not get her stable in any way shape or form again. CG was dead on this time. Tried over hand throws and side throws. Same issue. Wing dips a little and its instant instability. I have to assume its the shape of the airfoil and pitch issues.

Here is a picture of a little flat wing park jet I made a while ago. Flies fine. Pretty much just a wing with a center fuse. Have made a bunch of these in various sizes and shapes and they always fly.

I'm going back to basics on this. Going to make a simple flat KF wing and see what happens. If that goes fine we can revisit the Armin version.

RIP BatGirl

Nightstone
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Downtown Phoenix Skyline
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:22 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
799 Posts
Landing Gear

Here is the gear I have been using on my Armin wing planes. There is a link in my blog and more info. This is the struts and bolts only. Add your own cheap HK wheels.

They are incredibly cheap in price. $1.79 a pair. Light at 18 grams. They are currently out of stock but expected back in in late December.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Thunder-.../330742187363?

I plowed these into light poles. The pavement. Dirt. Etc. None have broken.

Most of my planes are using these so check my blog for pics. I mount these to a small piece of ply that gets glued to the bottom of the plane.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:49 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
799 Posts
Landing gear stressing the fuse is an Issue I had too. You have to distribute the force. What worked for me was using strips of light ply and mounting the landing gear to that. then gluing the ply to the plane. Oon the heavier planes I put a strip of scrap epp between the ply and the fuse further cushioning.

Nightstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmyklebust View Post
I think part of the reason I am having trouble with the gear stressing the fuze is because I haven't got the CG and elevator throws just right. I put an 11" wing chord on the plane with the thought that it would help slow it down for landing. I originally had some troubles with a pitchy plane so I added some expo and turned the elevator throws down. That has made it less pitchy at full speed but harder to land nice as I have very little elevator contol for flares when I land now. ( I do not have a dual rate radio). I may add a gift card to the elevaror for more survace to see if that helps and put some throw and just add some expo to help tame it when buzzing around at full speed.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:04 AM
Ed @ Experimental Airlines
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
This plane being discussed, with skis a few posts back, is nice even if it didn't work perfectly - and relevant as Rob M. and I have been kicking around the idea of am Experimental Airlines "Snow Plane Contest" for the new year. Landing gear is tricky and ripe for innovation, and snow skis (or snow hull?) makes it even more interesting. It wouldn't be a hit in Phoenix where I live but I know plenty of guys have snow to fly from. Any thoughts on that?
ExperimentalAir is offline Find More Posts by ExperimentalAir
Last edited by ExperimentalAir; Dec 22, 2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:45 AM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2012
42 Posts
Thanks to all for their replies. I have made a couple of modifications since the original post. The pictures are below. I mounted the gear really far forward because that area is already reinforced for the motor mount plus the plane was pretty tail heavy. I will test it and then think about moving them rearward.

I really like Nightstone's pusher delta with fuz. That looks like it is pretty close to being a snow plane.
rjmyklebust is offline Find More Posts by rjmyklebust
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:26 PM
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
Call for Sourcing Ideas: Motor Mounts

While I like the idea of using titanium sheets harvested from swimming pool salt water cells, it looks like getting hold of those would be a hassle before next pool season up here (May / June next year).

Meanwhile I'm ready to build a motor mount for an FSU Axon. It seems that aluminum bars will fit the bill as the next best alternative to titanium sheets.

Just as DT is the go to place for foamboard, what is a go to place to get aluminum bars that would be good for motor mounts? If I just ask for "aluminum bars", it'll be hit and miss with staff at box stores: what common product boils down to being an aluminum bar? What length / thickness to go for?

Are their different grades / types of aluminum? What aluminum type should I try to get? What kind to avoid?

What's the one thing you have discovered to be critical when selecting aluminum pieces to use as motor mounts?

Thanks!
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:38 PM
Lost in Oblivia
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2010
119 Posts
Guys, I found these at Hobby King and they look promising to me. Might need some extra backing to sandwich it with the foam board, but they sure are stiff. I think I'd shim the motor with some washers, instead of trying to bend it after mounting. They cost $1.08 each, so adding a couple to one's next order doesn't add much in the way of cost OR weight.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=9082

Regards

Christian
kaptain_zero is offline Find More Posts by kaptain_zero
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:21 PM
United States, OH, South Lebanon
Joined Jul 2005
152 Posts
I've been using cheap yard sticks from Lowes for motor mounts. I cut a slot in the top and bottom of the fuselage tube and then Gorilla glue it in place. However these have been on tractor setups with motor inside the tube.
TimJC is online now Find More Posts by TimJC
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:12 PM
MD
Joined Aug 2010
85 Posts
I've been doing the same as Tim, but I use the light ply you get from the "cuties" orange boxes after you eat all the oranges
Asymair95 is offline Find More Posts by Asymair95
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:23 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
799 Posts
Finally a flying wing.

Thought about my 2 failures with the Armin Flying Wing attempts and came up with a few ideas. Instead of making another Armin wing I built a quick KFm2 wing last night. A small one.

Low and behold it flew the first throw and flew nicely. I did add something to the wing for stability that i'm going to incorporate into the next Armin attempt. I put the motor at wing level and added a rudder underneath as well as winglets. Wammo... Its stable.

The rudder ( the rudder is not a functioning one with a servo attached. Its just a flat area underneath the wing ) is just long enough to stop the prop from touching the ground during landings. It also seemed to add a bunch of stability. The last thing it added was something easy to hold onto while launching the plane. I can now do a hard overhand throw without loosing fingers. A bunch of issues solved with a simple solution.

Here is a pic and vid from today. I'm starting Armin wing build 3 tonight with a new design ( Yes its going to have a rudder ).

KFWing (5 min 15 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:18 AM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Happy Holidays to all !!

Best wishes to all our foam board pilots, have a cool yule and a successful 2013
jetcommander is offline Find More Posts by jetcommander
Last edited by jetcommander; Dec 24, 2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJC View Post
I've been using cheap yard sticks from Lowes for motor mounts. I cut a slot in the top and bottom of the fuselage tube and then Gorilla glue it in place. However these have been on tractor setups with motor inside the tube.
Nice. I can see how an aluminum ruler could fit the bill, provided it can be persuaded to bend at least once without breaking. Would you please post a photo of the method you've described?

Thanks!
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ