HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:45 PM
Joined Jul 2012
5 Posts
Here's my newest one, its a lot smaller then my axon

I have a small 2480 motor, 30amp ESC. I might try a 2S batt and see how much time I get in the air.

I'll probably crash it before I run outta juice
vanagonnut is offline Find More Posts by vanagonnut
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:24 PM
AMA# 1004189
United States, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2012
342 Posts
that little armin hotliner looks like a quickie 500 almost. all it needs is a v_tail and some thin pizza cutter wheels. It looks like it could be fast, put a 3000 kv bl and a 50 amp esc with a 4.2x4 apc or a 5.2x5.2 graupner prop with a three cell 1300 lipo and watch that thing screem. nice looking build man excellent job If you do decide to go fast be sure to get a Wat meter and test your setup and make sure to prop it so as not to over amp your motor or you might find that your plane will spontaneously combust during flight, and at high speeds you dont what that
conbones is offline Find More Posts by conbones
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:34 AM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
880 Posts
I have a NTM Prop Drive 28-36 3000KV and the 2700KV on the way. Going to try and make an Armin Hotliner. I have a 3000kv BL and not too impressed with it. Kind of scared to push it as they cook easily from what I have read. I have it on a small delta and its just okay...

Nightstone
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:42 AM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoosh27 View Post
One more question......has anyone ever tried using one servo for ailerons as opposed to one on each half of wing? I was hoping to recycle servos from a mangled rc nitro car...

thought this might be funny.....in process of building the Noob tube, I ended up with a burn (hot glue) 3 cuts(cutting gift cards) and even lost skin to the epoxy....
Plenty of trainers have a single aileron servo. & if they're really tricky a second wing servo for flaps, but that's another story.

You place the control horns as normal in the middle of the control surface, & instead of putting a servo ahead of that horn you put a + or O style servo arm on a swivel pin, & a servo with a linkage stop in the middle... like these pics from HKs Piper PA-18 SuperCub Plug-n-Fly EPO

Then if you want to add flaps you could do the same thing, but revers one of the corner arms so both flaps rotate down when the main rod is pulled to one side.

~psguardian
psguardian is offline Find More Posts by psguardian
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:48 AM
AMA# 1004189
United States, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2012
342 Posts
@nightstone what size esc and prop are you using with that 3000 bl? i used a 3800 edf bl with a 50amp esc and a 4" prop on my dynamic 400 i to am very conservative with the throttle, i know it will cook one day. But that little thing really screams, its scary fast at full throttle. there is very little drag and the motor doesn't get hot. Be sure to test your setups with a wat meter it could save you from a smoking pile of ash.
conbones is offline Find More Posts by conbones
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
New Delta

I was amazed at how quick I could put this together, unfortunately the weather here is really lousy so Iīll just have to sweat it out before I can try a maiden.
jetcommander is offline Find More Posts by jetcommander
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:07 PM
WVCOUNTRYBOY
United States, WV, Beckley
Joined Oct 2012
12 Posts
I know this is off topic but what is the difference in a pusher motor, than a regular front facing motor new to this and would like to make a pusher plane just confused on this and where would be a good place to find deal's on the complete pusher kit for like a Axon ? Thanks
wvcountryboy is offline Find More Posts by wvcountryboy
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:25 PM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcountryboy View Post
I know this is off topic but what is the difference in a pusher motor, than a regular front facing motor new to this and would like to make a pusher plane just confused on this and where would be a good place to find deal's on the complete pusher kit for like a Axon ? Thanks
There are no kits, you just watch Eds videos he explains everything and then you get on with it, and ask here what you donīt understand. Wether itīs pusher or tractor itīs just a question of design.
jetcommander is offline Find More Posts by jetcommander
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:07 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoosh27 View Post
Yeah I pretty much figured the set up for the aileron should have 2 servos, but i thought I might try to figure it out with one if possible....looks like im using up the rest of my rc car servos haha...

Thanks for the advice on the landing gear, that was definitely one that I didnt know of. And as for the motor I will reset it in the fuse and try to test it out again to see if that solves the issues. I knew about a little right thrust but for whatever reason the upward thrust totally slipped my mind...

Thanks a lot.....will update as I get to work on it!

John

I've build a noobtube with a single servo for ailerons and the wing was detachable, check out posts 848 and 850 in this thread.
templton89 is offline Find More Posts by templton89
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:30 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psguardian View Post
Plenty of trainers have a single aileron servo. & if they're really tricky a second wing servo for flaps, but that's another story.

You place the control horns as normal in the middle of the control surface, & instead of putting a servo ahead of that horn you put a + or O style servo arm on a swivel pin, & a servo with a linkage stop in the middle... like these pics from HKs Piper PA-18 SuperCub Plug-n-Fly EPO

Then if you want to add flaps you could do the same thing, but revers one of the corner arms so both flaps rotate down when the main rod is pulled to one side.

~psguardian
That's really old school there! That's the method I used for the ailerons on the Funster 40 I scratch built about a zillion years ago, and I used the buried arms in the trailing edge for the flaps.

Funster 40 vintage 1983
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:32 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcountryboy View Post
Prop always faces forward. Motor orientation is irrelevant. Some motors will wear out faster if pushing ( read reviews and comments prior to purchasing ). If your new I strongly suggest you start with a trainer. There are a few in this thread that use Armin wings. You can then transition to something more advanced.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:42 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conbones View Post
@nightstone what size esc and prop are you using with that 3000 bl? i used a 3800 edf bl with a 50amp esc and a 4" prop on my dynamic 400 i to am very conservative with the throttle, i know it will cook one day. But that little thing really screams, its scary fast at full throttle. there is very little drag and the motor doesn't get hot. Be sure to test your setups with a wat meter it could save you from a smoking pile of ash.
I have been using those 40-50 amp hobbyking specials. I always use a separate bec. For props the gws 4 inchers and the apc 4.75x4.75. The GWS garbage always deform though and don't use them much anymore.

I use a Turnigy watt meter and test everything.

I am really looking forward to those NTM's. A bit pricy at almost $20 each but the thrust is awesome. I am going to up prop them and keep them on 3s staying within amperage. Ordered some 50-60 amp esc's also.

Now if will only get here... been over 2 weeks now. Love and hate hobbyking!!!!!

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:03 PM
cut cut cut... ****!
United States, PA, Birdsboro
Joined Dec 2012
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman26 View Post
That's really old school there! That's the method I used for the ailerons on the Funster 40 I scratch built about a zillion years ago, and I used the buried arms in the trailing edge for the flaps.

Funster 40 vintage 1983
Thats something i had kinda envisioned....I just didnt want to re-invent the servo systems to try and make it work.....

Thanks for that though I might end up giving that one up to the shelf till i get more servos.....and on to build a tube without the rudder to save those servos on my rc helo....
jkoosh27 is offline Find More Posts by jkoosh27
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:48 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
880 Posts
Trying the wing thing again. Last go was a disaster! Built this over the last 2 eves. Wife is calling it BatGirl lol.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:24 AM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2012
42 Posts
noob tube gear

I have tried to put landing gear on the noob tube and had a couple of successful flights but the foam bottom of the fuz seems to be a little to soft to support the stress of a landing. There are a couple of posts in the thread of noobs with gear but no real explinations.

Here is a picture of my first attempt I know I made several mistakes.
1. The gear is too long. Gives the skies too much leverage to tear the foam.
2. The gear wire is too strong, doesnt bend at all. I dont know what size it is, I used a very strong coat hanger.
3. The bottom of the fuse was not stong enough for my zip tie attachment technique.

I have a picture of my first attempt which was a failure. Since then, I have laminated the bottom of the foam sheets where the gear attaches with gift cards and epoxy. if it comes out now I am losing the whole bottom of the fuz.

The whole plane is clear tape. I painted the wing with $2 spray paint for orentation and it seems to work just fine.
rjmyklebust is offline Find More Posts by rjmyklebust