HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:14 AM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrich View Post
Get a video
Yeah, iam planing on doing one at the time I do the first flight.
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:36 PM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
824 Posts
Another build...

Build another Armin wing plane. Yes I build alot ( plane every 3-4 days as part of my pain management. Keeps me focused ).

Anyways... Had 4 Hex DT700's from my failed quad build ( KK2 board died ) and decided to build a plane to put one on. Maidened it today. Flies nice and slow. In the video its way under powered. I had an issue with motor esc compatability and I was only running at about 600 or grams of thrust. Going to swap the esc out and put a 12 inch prop on. Should double power.

Here it is... 46" wing span, 33.5 inch Fuse. DT700 motor and Gemfan 11x4.7 prop. Pretty much my standard square fuse with a wing on top. Vid is short but you should get the idea on how it flies. Slow!

Next up something Fast...

Nightstone

RedBird (4 min 47 sec)
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Downtown Phoenix Skyline
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:43 AM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Motor mount broken

I was just about to land my low wing Noob, which by the way Im very pleased with and then..... the aluminium motor mount gave up, so it was still a happy landing no damage to the aircraft.
When I fired up there was a little vibration, once in the air on half gas all was quiet and the vibration was gone so I thought nothing more of t and enjoyed flying on. Is this vibration caused by an out of balance prop, I did check it and seemed to be O.K. or is the motor shaft slightly bent, I checked that too or could it be something else, maybe the screws on the motor mount were not tight enough? Im a bit miffed, whats your experience on this one? would be delighted to get a feedback. Thanks.
jetcommander is offline Find More Posts by jetcommander
Last edited by jetcommander; Nov 19, 2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:14 AM
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2012
158 Posts
P51

I got the wing for the P51 almost done over the weekend. Cut in the flaps and mounted the servos. Had a great day of flying with my tube skull We did video it but I am having trouble downloading it I will post the flight as soon as I came
royalstar05 is online now Find More Posts by royalstar05
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:50 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstone View Post
Build another Armin wing plane. Yes I build alot ( plane every 3-4 days as part of my pain management. Keeps me focused ).

Anyways... Had 4 Hex DT700's from my failed quad build ( KK2 board died ) and decided to build a plane to put one on. Maidened it today. Flies nice and slow. In the video its way under powered. I had an issue with motor esc compatability and I was only running at about 600 or grams of thrust. Going to swap the esc out and put a 12 inch prop on. Should double power.

Here it is... 46" wing span, 33.5 inch Fuse. DT700 motor and Gemfan 11x4.7 prop. Pretty much my standard square fuse with a wing on top. Vid is short but you should get the idea on how it flies. Slow!

Nightstone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4lol...ature=youtu.be
Short vid,, it was the longest 3:22 minutes of my life. Nice plane but could you please fly a little closer, I could just bearly see it.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:52 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcommander View Post
I was just about to land my low wing Noob, which by the way Im very pleased with and then..... the aluminium motor mount gave up, so it was still a happy landing no damage to the aircraft.
When I fired up there was a little vibration, once in the air on half gas all was quiet and the vibration was gone so I thought nothing more of t and enjoyed flying on. Is this vibration caused by an out of balance prop, I did check it and seemed to be O.K. or is the motor shaft slightly bent, I checked that too or could it be something else, maybe the screws on the motor mount were not tight enough? Im a bit miffed, whats your experience on this one? would be delighted to get a feedback. Thanks.
Never seen nothin like that before.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:23 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordosoar View Post
Short vid,, it was the longest 3:22 minutes of my life. Nice plane but could you please fly a little closer, I could just bearly see it.
Lol... its the go-pro strapped to my head. That is medium resolution. Will give narrow a try...

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordosoar View Post
Never seen nothin like that before.
Yup theres a first time for everything.
jetcommander is offline Find More Posts by jetcommander
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:31 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstone View Post

Nightstone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4lol...ature=youtu.be
According to this test: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1594904

The best performance with this motor is with an APC 12x3.8 prop
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:13 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman26 View Post
According to this test: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1594904

The best performance with this motor is with an APC 12x3.8 prop
Yep... Picked up 2 today. Already bench tested them and its looking good. The Gemfans should have been kicking out 900 plus grams of thrust ( Plenty for this plane ) but the esc paired with it was not working well so I switched it out. When I throw this plane in the air tomorrow it will have twice the power as my original maiden. Should be fun!

I have this thing about power. The plane must be able to go vertical or i'm not happy.

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm off to build something fast. I have 3 2200kv/300w motors that want a home.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:53 PM
United States, AZ, Bullhead City
Joined Feb 2012
19 Posts
Where would one find these carbon arrow shafts that everyone likes to use for spars, etc.? How much do they cost?
Red Goldman is offline Find More Posts by Red Goldman
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:00 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,127 Posts
Walmart has Cheap Arrow Shafts

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Realtree-2...75lbs/17043398
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Last edited by Wilfor; Nov 20, 2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: forgot the link
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:21 PM
United States, AZ, Bullhead City
Joined Feb 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor View Post
Out of Stock Online

And my Walmart doesn't carry them. Crap.
Red Goldman is offline Find More Posts by Red Goldman
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Nov 2007
28 Posts
Gordosoar

You said your canard design was too stable for you (I am sure you are a much better pilot than I) but it might be just right for me. Can you provide some dimensions for your plane in post #396? Thanks,

rocketsci
xheli_d is online now Find More Posts by xheli_d
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:28 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Goldman View Post
Out of Stock Online

And my Walmart doesn't carry them. Crap.
Do you have a archery club near by ? I know members at mine and get old broken arrows from them . They throw alot away that are more the usable for us
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor