HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:11 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper522 View Post
I started at 15% (5.5") and tried thru 25% (6") as per the calculator. I think I'll be building a 2" tube to really get the battery out front, just like you said, and start moving it back until it stops acting funny.
Just curious, did you include the ailerons as part of the calculation?
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:19 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,411 Posts
Quote:
I started at 15% (5.5") and tried thru 25% (6") as per the calculator. I think I'll be building a 2" tube to really get the battery out front, just like you said, and start moving it back until it stops acting funny.
Viper you should be moving forward from the 15% point NOT next to the 25% point (since tail heavy planes are much harder to control than nose heavy).

Also in the calculation you should also include your control surfaces!
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:19 AM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,056 Posts
Quote:
Going from 15% to 25% is going in the wrong direction.
If its unstable at 15, it will be even more unstable at 25.
I think adding a pod will help a lot, but keep in mind, that any fuselage no mater how long or short, does not change the need for the correct CG.
In other words, the correct CG would be the same with or without the fuse.
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordosoar View Post
Going from 15% to 25% is going in the wrong direction.
If its unstable at 15, it will be even more unstable at 25.
I think adding a pod will help a lot, but keep in mind, that any fuselage no mater how long or short, does not change the need for the correct CG.
In other words, the correct CG would be the same with or without the fuse.
Haha Gordo look at the post above you ...we were typing about at the same time :P
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:30 AM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
Just curious, did you include the ailerons as part of the calculation?
No, just the wing itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Viper you should be moving forward from the 15% point NOT next to the 25% point (since tail heavy planes are much harder to control than nose heavy).

Also in the calculation you should also include your control surfaces!
I know the 15-25% progression is getting away from naturally stable and more toward advanced, but I was trying anything anybody could come up with at the field.

If I include the control surfaces in the CG calc, it moves the recommended CG point further aft (from 5.5" to 5.8" at 15%) due to the longer chord. That's opposite what everyone here is telling me - move it forward. My root/tip chord is 8.75" without including the 2" elevon, 25deg sweep.
viper522 is online now Find More Posts by viper522
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:31 AM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,056 Posts
Quote:
Haha Gordo look at the post above you ...we were typing about at the same time :P
Great minds think alike.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:36 AM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,056 Posts
Quote:
No, just the wing itself.

I know the 15-25% progression is getting away from naturally stable and more toward advanced, but I was trying anything anybody could come up with at the field.

If I include the control surfaces in the CG calc, it moves the recommended CG point further aft (from 5.5" to 5.8" at 15%) due to the longer chord. That's opposite what everyone here is telling me - move it forward. My root/tip chord is 8.75" without including the 2" elevon, 25deg sweep.
Add the fuse and move the CG further forward. That's about all I can say at this point.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:38 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Add the fuse and move the CG further forward. That's about all I can say at this point.
That's what I'll be doing If it survives the trial I'll be back to discuss my findings. Considering how many times it has already been plowed into the ground, I don't think survivability will be a problem.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:40 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,411 Posts
Quote:
+1

On an unrelated matter, do any of you guys have experience with Correx (Coroplast)? It makes for undestructable, although heavy wings..And one can use Ed's technique in making it..I might try and make an Alula clone out of it.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:49 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Quote:
+1

On an unrelated matter, do any of you guys have experience with Correx (Coroplast)? It makes for undestructable, although heavy wings..And one can use Ed's technique in making it..I might try and make an Alula clone out of it.
Someone made a wing from Coroplast on another site, it doesn't want to form the airfoil, so he had to cut each vein parallel to the bend.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Oct 2011
882 Posts
Better 200w 5.8ghz FPV kit?

Guys, I'm trying to retrace my steps and find something I lost.

I've recently seen a post, pretty sure here at RCG, on a "better" entry level FPV kit, with similar specs to the entry level HK 5.8ghz 200w kit, but reported to offer much better range in practise. I just can't find it again. This is for my FSU Axon currently under construction. With the HK gear currently in stock I'm feeling a bit of time pressure. I really don't want to buy the HK kit until I've found and reviewed that other kit.

I know we get a bit of FPV chat here as it pertains to our FSU models: if the above rings a bell, please let me know...

Thanks!
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:01 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
Here are a few pictures of my airfoil created from $Tree foam board for a VTOL Build under construction. I opted not to use tape and will use foam safe paint for now however, I am looking for a better way to seal the surface.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:06 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygyQ View Post
Guys, I'm trying to retrace my steps and find something I lost.

I've recently seen a post, pretty sure here at RCG, on a "better" entry level FPV kit, with similar specs to the entry level HK 5.8ghz 200w kit, but reported to offer much better range in practise. I just can't find it again. This is for my FSU Axon currently under construction. With the HK gear currently in stock I'm feeling a bit of time pressure. I really don't want to buy the HK kit until I've found and reviewed that other kit.

I know we get a bit of FPV chat here as it pertains to our FSU models: if the above rings a bell, please let me know...

Thanks!
ImmersionRC offers a 5.8GHz 600mW setup similar to the HK stuff. Maybe that's what you're thinking?

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=266
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined Jan 2012
120 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, we tried trimming the elevons up, moving the battery around, throwing it hard/soft. It was like throwing an empty pizza box into the wind - it just went random directions until it met the ground - and no further than 25ft away. The good news is that it probably hit the ground at full throttle, right after launch, at least 2-dozen times and merely creased the DT foam under the tape. No actual damage!

Here it was ready for maiden
How big is that motor? and what is your prop? you could be underpowered a bit too
nieder2 is offline Find More Posts by nieder2
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:46 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nieder2 View Post
How big is that motor? and what is your prop? you could be underpowered a bit too
3s 2200 lipo
Tried a 9x4.7 and 8x4 folder
1050kv outrunner