HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:47 AM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
That's man.

Ed could you give us impatient ones a rundown on the dimensions of the synopsis. Like the fuse length, wing CG point, etc. until you get the video up.
Thanks.
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:12 AM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalAir View Post
Surely there are tons of nice flying wings out there, using many good ideas . This is my attempt to design one that is just a little easier to build, with non-tapered but swept wings, and interchangeable fuselage pods. While it has a flat-bottom airfoil, no washout, and no inherent reflex, it seems to fly quite well in practice and is a pretty quick and very inexpensive build. I look forward to seeing what improvements can be made to it.
Your folding wing is Beautifully done . Very cool design .
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,427 Posts
Gordo thanks! That gave me a few ideas. I'll probably opt for a bit more strength using some plywood pieces or something.
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:30 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Gordo thanks! That gave me a few ideas. I'll probably opt for a bit more strength using some plywood pieces or something.
If you mean the V tail part, even a single layer of foam is strong enough, but if you're worried about it, try bending the tail over like you would for the wing only without any spars in between. Makes a nice stiff tail part.
You can add a control surface later, or just make the top surface longer for the elevator, and treat it like you would the wing.
See below.
Name: image.jpg
Views: 61
Size: 91.8 KB
Description:
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:34 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Here's the tail group of the Mig ready to install.Name: image.jpg
Views: 69
Size: 182.9 KB
Description:
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:35 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Another view.
Name: image.jpg
Views: 56
Size: 179.0 KB
Description:
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Oct 2011
978 Posts
OK I've successfully flown my own scratcbuilt RCT ST.

Thanks to Ed for sharing his vision and to all of the guys who have helped out with my several queries!

Next up: an FPV ready Axon.
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:05 PM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
712 Posts
I've created a 39"ws 34" fuse bipe with your tubular fuse design. Slab wings, for now, with 7" chord. Waiting on $ for 1mm & 2mm piano wire (control & landing gear) and need to fab up a motor mount. Hoping to put up & link a build log of sorts within the next week or two.

~psguardian
psguardian is offline Find More Posts by psguardian
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:31 PM
Joined Oct 2011
978 Posts
Axon: 3 servos or 4 -- rudder flap / servo optional?

Is it true that the rudder flap / servo is "optional" on Axon builds, and that some capable builders choose to build the Axon with 2 aileron flaps / servos, one elevator flap / servo on the stabilizer, and no flap / servo for the rudder?

Is there any reason to prefer a no rudder build for the Axon?

My immediate, narrow interest is that I've got 3 available servos, unless I canibalize my RCT ST or else wait for HK to get stock...

Thanks!
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:26 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygyQ View Post
Is it true that the rudder flap / servo is "optional" on Axon builds, and that some capable builders choose to build the Axon with 2 aileron flaps / servos, one elevator flap / servo on the stabilizer, and no flap / servo for the rudder?

Is there any reason to prefer a no rudder build for the Axon?

My immediate, narrow interest is that I've got 3 available servos, unless I canibalize my RCT ST or else wait for HK to get stock...

Thanks!
Hi guys, I don't understand the need for a rudder, unless you want to taxi around.
Out of 13 planes I have, only one has a rudder. The rest just have a non movable vertical stab. I know I'll get some flack for this, but I just don't see the need for one. It's just another thing to go wrong and another servo to install.
All of my planes fly great without one. I did have them when I was flying gliders where you need to make as flat a turn as possable. But with bank and crank, I don't see the need. Did I mention I don't see the need?
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined Oct 2011
978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordosoar View Post
Hi guys, I don't understand the need for a rudder, unless you want to taxi around.
Out of 13 planes I have, only one has a rudder. The rest just have a non movable vertical stab. I know I'll get some flack for this, but I just don't see the need for one. It's just another thing to go wrong and another servo to install.
All of my planes fly great without one. I did have them when I was flying gliders where you need to make as flat a turn as possable. But with bank and crank, I don't see the need. Did I mention I don't see the need?
That's good news -- yup -- guess I'll get started on that Axon
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:45 AM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
672 Posts
Just to clarify, in the video Ed accidentally reversed the axes of the plane, he referred to the longitudinal axis when talking about pitch, pitch is on the lateral axis, the longitudinal axis is roll. I teach this stuff to my students, its important to keep it straight.
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:14 PM
MD
Joined Aug 2010
85 Posts
Peace Drone crash

Had my first FPV crash today with my Peace Drone. I had one successful flight in the morning with no issues. Charged the batteries and headed back out and flew for about 5 min before i started getting interference on the 72mhz. I was about .3 of a mile according to google earth the first time it happened. I tried to come home and do a landing but on downwind you can see what happened. She's fixable, just wish I knew what caused the glitching. The good news is I was able to reproduce the issue with the ant on the controller collapsed standing about 10 yards away. The right aileron would go full deflection up and then return to neutral. Then, both wing servos would twitch followed by the right aileron going full deflection up again. I'll change the Corona receiver and see what happens.

Peace Drone FPV crash (1 min 34 sec)
Asymair95 is offline Find More Posts by Asymair95
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:33 PM
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2012
158 Posts
tappered fuselage

I have been looking all over to find a video on making a tappered fuselage and anyone point me in the right direction thanks
royalstar05 is offline Find More Posts by royalstar05
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:52 PM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalstar05 View Post
I have been looking all over to find a video on making a tappered fuselage and anyone point me in the right direction thanks
I haven't done it myself, but in theory you could cut 4 wedges out of the standard square tube design and just tape the remaining edges together.

Something like this, but elongated.
http://www.docsmachine.com/fabshop/1ns1.jpg
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522