SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:10 AM
Ed @ Experimental Airlines
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewbieoz View Post
I love your bipe! Do you have the rough dimensions of winspan, chord and fuse?
Yeah man, hard for me to improve on Gordosoar's biplane - go with that. There are a couple of other ones floating around. I would like to make one myself one day!
ExperimentalAir is offline Find More Posts by ExperimentalAir
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:20 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordosoar View Post
That's for sure. I've had a plane or two hit the ground right out I front of my on maiden launch because I couldn't get my finger on the elevator stick fast enough.
That's why I always launch with my left hand. It was awkward at first, but I set the throttle to what I want and then launch with my left hand. That way I always have control of ailerons and elevator with my right hand and don't have to go fumbling for it while the plane is plummeting towards the ground. I also can concentrate on a more *quality* launch, because I don't have to worry about snatching my hand down immediately reaching for control. Yeah, I've seen the "launch straight into the ground" technique before.
JohnsPop is online now Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:39 AM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalAir View Post
Yeah man, hard for me to improve on Gordosoar's biplane - go with that. There are a couple of other ones floating around. I would like to make one myself one day!
Thanks Ed.
I should also add that I increased the size of the tail parts. I figured because of the extra wing that would create more turbulence I would need a bigger rudder and stabilizer. So that's what I did. Don't really know if it was truely nessesary, but as my grand mother use to say "it Couldent hurt" .
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:24 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymore View Post
I want to try some dollar board wings and it is suggested that you use packing tape before bending the foam severily over for the leading edge.This to reduce the bend breaking.

I assume but do not know if low temperature iron on covering would work as well? ( hobby king covering to be specific) Or is the packing tape adhesive a lot stronger bondwise to the foam? This may be a redundant question. It is just I have never seen it posted anywhere myself.
IMHO...I can't speak with authority on the subject, but I don't really expect a good bond at the low temps which would be required by the foam board, any temps high enough to activate the adhesive on the covering film would probably damage the foam core or the adhesive that holds the paper to the foam.
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:10 AM
United States, AZ, Chino Valley
Joined Feb 2012
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman26 View Post
IMHO...I can't speak with authority on the subject, but I don't really expect a good bond at the low temps which would be required by the foam board, any temps high enough to activate the adhesive on the covering film would probably damage the foam core or the adhesive that holds the paper to the foam.
I have used packing tape on 4 Armin wings and I've used 'heavy duty' clear packing tape as hinges on several other planes. All in the manner ED teaches in his tutorials. Some I taped over the paper on $tree FB and some I've taped directly on the foam, both $tree and FFF. I read in some ones post about low temp heat for increasing the tapes adhesion and also getting a little bit of 'shrinkage' in the tape. Since I first tried it on a FFF project I've used it on everything. It worked just as advertised. I use on old, standard household ironing type iron set on low. I literally iron the tape, it shrinks a little and sticks a whole lot better. When I've crashed one of these the foam shreds before the tape/foam joint gives. I aim for 'very warm to the touch', I think it's around 200 degrees, and I keep the iron moving. I tape both sides when I am doing a hinge, leave a bit of a gap in the surfaces and get tape to tape stick in that gap. Then I use the tip of the iron to get all the way into the hinge. I haven't had a hinge fail yet!
justj is offline Find More Posts by justj
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:10 AM
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2012
158 Posts
first build noob tube

Hi guys hoping the weather will work with me today going to take the tube out on its radian voyage. Just thought I would post a couple of pictures for you.
royalstar05 is online now Find More Posts by royalstar05
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:24 AM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalstar05 View Post
Hi guys hoping the weather will work with me today going to take the tube out on its radian voyage. Just thought I would post a couple of pictures for you.
It looks good, but those wings look real short, IŽd be interested to see a video of it flying. Get some exponential on that bird or it will be very touchy. By the way what do you mean "radian voyage" ? good luck with your first flight.
jetcommander is offline Find More Posts by jetcommander
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:48 AM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justj View Post
I have used packing tape on 4 Armin wings and I've used 'heavy duty' clear packing tape as hinges on several other planes. All in the manner ED teaches in his tutorials. Some I taped over the paper on $tree FB and some I've taped directly on the foam, both $tree and FFF. I read in some ones post about low temp heat for increasing the tapes adhesion and also getting a little bit of 'shrinkage' in the tape. Since I first tried it on a FFF project I've used it on everything. It worked just as advertised. I use on old, standard household ironing type iron set on low. I literally iron the tape, it shrinks a little and sticks a whole lot better. When I've crashed one of these the foam shreds before the tape/foam joint gives. I aim for 'very warm to the touch', I think it's around 200 degrees, and I keep the iron moving. I tape both sides when I am doing a hinge, leave a bit of a gap in the surfaces and get tape to tape stick in that gap. Then I use the tip of the iron to get all the way into the hinge. I haven't had a hinge fail yet!
Great idea, I'll have to try it on my next one. I also have a ton of heat shrink covering from my glow days. I have tried that too, but for now I'm very happy with just putting the tape down with a squeegee.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:54 AM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,067 Posts
Wow, I think I just figured out how to post photos from my iPad.
This is a test.
Also a Mig-15 I have on the way to use as a templet for a foamie I want to do.
I have one on the bench right now, but its turning out to be a piece of dodo.
I threw it together from parts I had around the shop.
One interesting thing is the 6 sided fuse tube. I'll post some pics later today.
Stay tuned, film at 11. Name: image.jpg
Views: 92
Size: 111.4 KB
Description:
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:05 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,136 Posts
Be very careful ironing tape. It can shrink and warp your parts.
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:00 PM
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2012
158 Posts
first flight

For a first flight no complaints it did take a light crash back together in about 10 minutes. Winds close to 15mph. for the first build loving this plane did keep all the specs to basic the wing is 30" the stab. is 15" and rudder 8" running a 1200vk 8/3.8 prop 30 amp esc and 1800 7.4v battery
royalstar05 is online now Find More Posts by royalstar05
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:44 PM
Ed @ Experimental Airlines
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
Surely there are tons of nice flying wings out there, using many good ideas . This is my attempt to design one that is just a little easier to build, with non-tapered but swept wings, and interchangeable fuselage pods. While it has a flat-bottom airfoil, no washout, and no inherent reflex, it seems to fly quite well in practice and is a pretty quick and very inexpensive build. I look forward to seeing what improvements can be made to it.

SYNAPSE Foamboard Flying Wing - Intro Video (10 min 9 sec)
ExperimentalAir is offline Find More Posts by ExperimentalAir
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined May 2012
152 Posts
Hello
Very nice design Ed. Is it me or is it heavy at 2000 grams? 4 lb 4 ozs. Lots of great stuff and only 3 sheets of DT foam.

Hey Gordosoar looking forward to the hex tube keep them coming guys.

Later have fun IAFoamie
IAFoamie is offline Find More Posts by IAFoamie
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:04 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,067 Posts
You have done it again Ed. Another great design from the mind that gave us the Noob Tube which led to so many variations on the theme, That allowed us to exercise our imaginations in a way that didn't break the pocket book in the process. I have enjoyed building all the planes (13) that Ed inspired in me. I know I would not be out there flying every day had I not found out about Ed and his designs. Not only are the planes cheap to build and easy to fly, but more importantly, they build confidence in the pilot. When you're not worried about crashing your expensive ARF, it makes learning faster and so much more fun.
And fun is the meaning of life.
Thank you once again Ed.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:31 PM
AMA# 1004189
United States, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2012
342 Posts
hey guys i went to the park today to fly my variation of the Armin flying wing and it flew great Ed is spot on with his motor placement and thrust degrees because they are the same as for my Armin wing, I broke a weak servo horn while flying this afternoon and it was still stable in flight enough to control and safely land. Ed your Armin wing is a winner, as gordo says its cheap and easy and just plane fun.
conbones is offline Find More Posts by conbones