HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:57 AM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
1,909 Posts
Yes great idea.
I bought two of the X-Acto-X7747-Xacto-board cutter. Available on Amizon for lest than $5.00 they work great.
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:15 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordosoar View Post
Yes great idea.
I bought two of the X-Acto-X7747-Xacto-board cutter. Available on Amizon for lest than $5.00 they work great.
If you like it you need to leave a good review on Amazon, the reviews on the Amazon page for that product are the worst I have ever read!
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:19 PM
Canada
Joined Oct 2011
702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapdawg View Post
Did you get an answer?
I fly an axon with dx6i. Will be glad to help.
OK, based upon my first couple of sessions flying my RCTestFlight Slow trainer (three flights, three crashes, total flight time 5 seconds), I've already learned a lot. Enough to weed out most of my dumb questions about programming the DX6i for the Axon.

Here's a few spots where I could use some pointers on programming the DX6i for the Axon.

What are your Flaps settings for Norm / Land?

Have you got Mix1 / Mix2 set up with anything other than INH?

Have you got anything other than INH set up for Differential? What, in a word, is Differential in this context?

Have you got anything other than Inh for Throttle Cut? Wing Tail Mix?

Wing Tail Mix -- anything other than INH?

Also -- if you happen to know, what model on the Phoenix Sim works well as an approximation of the Axon?

Thanks!
syzygyQ is online now Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:35 PM
United States, AZ, Chino Valley
Joined Feb 2012
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygyQ View Post
OK, based upon my first couple of sessions flying my RCTestFlight Slow trainer (three flights, three crashes, total flight time 5 seconds),
Thanks!
I had a similar experience with my Axon. The first 4 or 5 flights were a disaster. I finally discovered that the CG was to far back. It flew great when I got the CG closer to 20%.
J
justj is offline Find More Posts by justj
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:31 PM
Canada
Joined Oct 2011
702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justj View Post
I had a similar experience with my Axon. The first 4 or 5 flights were a disaster. I finally discovered that the CG was to far back. It flew great when I got the CG closer to 20%.
J
That's a good observation -- the CG on my RCT ST should be correct -- that being said, I'll be sure to attend extra carefully to the CG on my Axon build.

My crashes #1 and #2 were due to having the elev reversed on my TX. So sad.

Crash #3 was due to reacting to aileron roll during take off from hand launch by pulling the aileron stick on my TX (I've got one year of heli experience). I've now swapped the RUD output to AIL on my RX to the aileron stick so I can get some "ail" response (via the rudder). With some further tweaks on the airframe, I'm "planning" to have my first successful airplane flights as soon as we get a dry day up here.

Kinda want to get airborne successfully, and get in some flights, before building the Axon. I figure that what I learn getting the RCT ST airworthy will contribute valuable quality to the Axon build.
Last edited by syzygyQ; Nov 01, 2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:25 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
1,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman26 View Post
If you like it you need to leave a good review on Amazon, the reviews on the Amazon page for that product are the worst I have ever read!
I don't care what the others said, I love that thing.
I think it's all in knowing what you're doing.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:44 AM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygyQ View Post
That's a good observation -- the CG on my RCT ST should be correct -- that being said, I'll be sure to attend extra carefully to the CG on my Axon build.

My crashes #1 and #2 were due to having the elev reversed on my TX. So sad.

Crash #3 was due to reacting to aileron roll during take off from hand launch by pulling the aileron stick on my TX (I've got one year of heli experience). I've now swapped the RUD output to AIL on my RX to the aileron stick so I can get some "ail" response (via the rudder). With some further tweaks on the airframe, I'm "planning" to have my first successful airplane flights as soon as we get a dry day up here.

Kinda want to get airborne successfully, and get in some flights, before building the Axon. I figure that what I learn getting the RCT ST airworthy will contribute valuable quality to the Axon build.
Trust me, I know this for a fact! On maidens it really helps if you can get someone else to launch the plane so you can correct things faster than if you launch it yourself. That way you can a least get it in the air and trim it out and see what is going on.
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:59 AM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
1,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOfroggy View Post
Trust me, I know this for a fact! On maidens it really helps if you can get someone else to launch the plane so you can correct things faster than if you launch it yourself. That way you can a least get it in the air and trim it out and see what is going on.
That's for sure. I've had a plane or two hit the ground right out I front of my on maiden launch because I couldn't get my finger on the elevator stick fast enough.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:17 AM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
1,909 Posts
Hi guys, has anyone figured out how to cut an aileron into the trailing edge of the wing so that just a portion of the TE is moving?
Never mind. I just thought about it for a minute and I can see how to do it. Duh.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:26 PM
Canada
Joined Oct 2011
702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOfroggy View Post
I believe you. I did get someone else to hand launch my third flight, and I got three seconds flight time, which was an improvement over the first two flights.

Since then I've rebuilt the airframe again, adjusted servo travel so I can be confident full throw won't bind, replaced the motor mount with a stronger mount and more accurately skewed angle , adjusted servo trim, re-done the flap joints re-inforcing the joins with hot glue to get a more secure hinge, and run the aileron stick to the rudder.

Next time I need a good launch, under good conditions, and I've got to give it enough throttle but not too much, control aileron roll during the critical first few seconds, and I need to go up.
Last edited by syzygyQ; Nov 01, 2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:14 PM
WVCOUNTRYBOY
United States, WV, Beckley
Joined Oct 2012
12 Posts
Ed have found the Noob Tube to be my choice to be the first foam board build of choice had 3 flights with it held up well in crashes lol.. The youtube video series is awesome keep up the good job I learned alot out of it.. Like to see a bi-wing Noob Tube in action.. Thanks
wvcountryboy is offline Find More Posts by wvcountryboy
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:34 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
1,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcountryboy View Post
Ed have found the Noob Tube to be my choice to be the first foam board build of choice had 3 flights with it held up well in crashes lol.. The youtube video series is awesome keep up the good job I learned alot out of it.. Like to see a bi-wing Noob Tube in action.. Thanks
Check out my video on you tube,

My Armin wing biplane.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:52 PM
Fan of experimetalairlines
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordosoar View Post
Check out my video on you tube,

My Armin wing biplane.
I love your bipe! Do you have the rough dimensions of winspan, chord and fuse?
rcnewbieoz is offline Find More Posts by rcnewbieoz
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:02 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
1,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewbieoz View Post
I love your bipe! Do you have the rough dimensions of winspan, chord and fuse?
Wings= 30"
Top wing chord= 10"
Bottom wing chord= 9"
Fuse = 30" x 2"
Second level = 10" x 2"
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:18 AM
Joined Sep 2012
34 Posts
I want to try some dollar board wings and it is suggested that you use packing tape before bending the foam severily over for the leading edge.This to reduce the bend breaking.

I assume but do not know if low temperature iron on covering would work as well? ( hobby king covering to be specific) Or is the packing tape adhesive a lot stronger bondwise to the foam? This may be a redundant question. It is just I have never seen it posted anywhere myself.
barrymore is offline Find More Posts by barrymore