SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:09 PM
MD
Joined Aug 2010
85 Posts
New project

While waiting for the weather to cooperate so I can maiden my Skymaster, I decided to start a new project. It will be based loosely on my Super Sports 40 nitro plane. Of course, it is being built via Ed's procedures. More to follow....
Asymair95 is offline Find More Posts by Asymair95
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:04 PM
UAS Engineer
United States, WA, Battle Ground
Joined May 2012
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquireM View Post
...So? Does it fly?
We will see. I don't know when I will be able to maiden it, weather issues.
CarbonFlite is offline Find More Posts by CarbonFlite
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:33 AM
Joined Oct 2012
1 Posts
Info about a 46-48'' Axon

I am planing to make a 48'' ws axon as my first scratch built expecting it to be my good first trainer plane. Unfortunately, i can't find dollar tree/readiboard foam here in Thailand. So most probably I am going to use different kinds of foams (EPP, Depron and styro foam) taped on for strength for different parts.

Does anybody has plans for a 48'' axon?? Or if anybody has built slow flying axon (i can compromise on wing efficiency as i am learning right now) he can share the specs with me??? Mainly i need to know following dimensions;
1- wing chord
2- fuse length
3- C of G
4- control surfaces sizes
5- placement of wings (distance of leading edge from the tip of fuse)
6- sizes of horizontal and vertical stabilizers.
7- prop sizes used
mzalikhan is offline Find More Posts by mzalikhan
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:58 AM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Does anyone have an anti "broken propellor device" ? I have been doing a lot of Noob flying, and have managed three broken props in the last week on my Noob, I just saw a video on You Tube called "Justins low wing noob tube" I see he has a curved piece of metal at the front so the the propellor always has clearance on landing, any other ideas out there apart from a folding prop? Thanks
jetcommander is offline Find More Posts by jetcommander
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:06 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
Is this the job of a traditional Prop Saver?
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:21 AM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcommander View Post
Does anyone have an anti "broken propellor device" ? I have been doing a lot of Noob flying, and have managed three broken props in the last week on my Noob, I just saw a video on You Tube called "Justins low wing noob tube" I see he has a curved piece of metal at the front so the the propellor always has clearance on landing, any other ideas out there apart from a folding prop? Thanks
EDF noob tube.
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:42 AM
United States, AZ, Chino Valley
Joined Feb 2012
305 Posts
Suggestions!

Hi Gordo,
To the point..... great thoughts!

Rimshot,
I'm partial to pushers like the Axon to keep the prop and motor out of the direct impact zone.... couple of bent shafts helped make up my mind!

J
justj is offline Find More Posts by justj
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:07 AM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justj View Post
Hi Gordo,
To the point..... great thoughts!

Rimshot,
I'm partial to pushers like the Axon to keep the prop and motor out of the direct impact zone.... couple of bent shafts helped make up my mind!

J
I have a F Jet and love it but also want to make something like the Mig 15, only using EA teach. I'm thinking of a semi round fuse, maybe 8 sided with a tapered swept low wing. Still thinking it through.
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:11 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
669 Posts
Quote:
The thing he's talking about is just an extended skid, like landing gear with no wheels.

You could just use landing gear, works for takeoff and landings.
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:43 PM
Fan of experimetalairlines
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
Quote:
What size prop are you running? Also, what type of prop?

I've been running a master airscrew 6.5x4 and after many landings it is still in one piece. I've only broken props when I've crashed.

Do you land with throttle still on? I kill throttle a few feet off the ground.
rcnewbieoz is offline Find More Posts by rcnewbieoz
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:41 PM
AMA# 1004189
United States, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2012
339 Posts
A prop saver and a few O'rings will save you a lot of heart ake
Hey guys i have finished another armin wing im not 100% on this one yet i still have some adjustments to do but earlier test flights have proven that it will level off with a little input on the sticks and gain alt. fly strait under power and glide to a landing.
the real test will be at the club field this weekend. here are a few pics.
Name: SANY0151.jpg
Views: 163
Size: 102.6 KB
Description: Name: SANY0155.jpg
Views: 138
Size: 125.5 KB
Description: Name: SANY0156.jpg
Views: 135
Size: 139.3 KB
Description: Name: SANY0157.jpg
Views: 129
Size: 83.0 KB
Description:
conbones is offline Find More Posts by conbones
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:46 AM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewbieoz View Post
What size prop are you running? Also, what type of prop?

I've been running a master airscrew 6.5x4 and after many landings it is still in one piece. I've only broken props when I've crashed.

Do you land with throttle still on? I kill throttle a few feet off the ground.
I never land with the throttle on, I have a 1000kv and a 9 x 4 prop what you are using is almost a third smaller so you will for sure have less chance of a breakage. Iīll just add wheels, or a skid and thatīs it, thanks for your input.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:18 AM
Joined Oct 2011
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conbones View Post
A prop saver and a few O'rings will save you a lot of heart ake
Hey guys i have finished another armin wing im not 100% on this one yet i still have some adjustments to do but earlier test flights have proven that it will level off with a little input on the sticks and gain alt. fly strait under power and glide to a landing.
the real test will be at the club field this weekend. here are a few pics.
Attachment 5265489Attachment 5265490Attachment 5265491Attachment 5265492
I was thinking of building a wing also. What is the wing span, wing cord and overall length? Thanks.
tc16 is offline Find More Posts by tc16
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:41 AM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzalikhan View Post
I am planing to make a 48'' ws axon as my first scratch built expecting it to be my good first trainer plane. Unfortunately, i can't find dollar tree/readiboard foam here in Thailand. So most probably I am going to use different kinds of foams (EPP, Depron and styro foam) taped on for strength for different parts.

Does anybody has plans for a 48'' axon?? Or if anybody has built slow flying axon (i can compromise on wing efficiency as i am learning right now) he can share the specs with me??? Mainly i need to know following dimensions;
1- wing chord
2- fuse length
3- C of G
4- control surfaces sizes
5- placement of wings (distance of leading edge from the tip of fuse)
6- sizes of horizontal and vertical stabilizers.
7- prop sizes used
Itīs all in the videos Iīm sure.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:01 PM
AMA# 1004189
United States, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2012
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc16 View Post
I was thinking of building a wing also. What is the wing span, wing cord and overall length? Thanks.
wing info (3 min 50 sec)
conbones is offline Find More Posts by conbones