SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:38 PM
Joined Oct 2011
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewbieoz View Post
Yes, I've been using the same motor on all my foam board planes. Running it with a 6.5x4 master air screw, plenty of power and flight time on a 2200mah 3S. I love it. You will be happy with the motor. Just watch the amps it draws if you use anything bigger than a 6.5 prop.

I've got TGS Sport 6x4E Precision propellers in hand. Do these props fit the good and safe spec you're advising?

Thanks!
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Oct 2011
891 Posts
DX6i Settings for Axon

Can you list or point to a list of standard list of TX settings for an Axon controlled by a DX6i (OrangeRX on board)?

While I have about a year of RC experience (helis), this will be the first time I program a TX to run an airplane.

I'm going to keep on digging, but if you can conveniently point me to a good link, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:15 PM
Joined Oct 2011
891 Posts
Great new FPV antenna extender?

OK -- I've recently (within the past couple of months) seen online a great new antenna for FPV. I believe it does what homebrew cloverleaf antennae do, but is more compact, plug 'n play, and very cool looking.

It somewhat resembles an AWACS antenna, seems to come with white finish on it, and lives somewhere in fifty five bucks land, and is apparently a game changer in terms of achievable range on 5.8g equipment.

I'm obviously stretching a bit here, but: can you point me to any likely candidates?

The FoxTech gear mentioned a page or so back looks like a great alternative to the 5.8g entry level item at HK -- I'd like to scope out that antenna and check on its compatibility with the FoxTech equipment.

My apologies for the imprecision of the above -- I'm sure there's at least one critical spec missing that makes my query poorly formed. I'm hoping that you'll be able to easily hop over that gap via your greater knowledge and experience.

Thanks!
Last edited by syzygyQ; Oct 22, 2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:27 PM
Fan of experimetalairlines
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygyQ View Post
OK -- I've recently (within the past couple of months) seen online a great new antenna for FPV. I believe it does what homebrew cloverleaf antennae do, but is more compact, plug 'n play, and very cool looking.

It somewhat resembles an AWACS antenna, seems to come with white finish on it, and lives somewhere in fifty five bucks land, and is apparently a game changer in terms of achievable range on 5.8g equipment.

I'm obviously stretching a bit here, but: can you point me to any likely candidates?

The FoxTech gear mentioned a page or so back looks like a great alternative to the 5.8g entry level item at HK -- I'd like to scope out that antenna and check on its compatibility with the FoxTech equipment.

My apologies for the imprecision of the above -- I'm sure there's at least one critical spec missing that makes my query poorly formed. I'm hoping that you'll be able to easily hop over that gap via your greater knowledge and experience.

Thanks!

Thanks!
I think you might get answers from this forum http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&highlight=fpv
rcnewbieoz is offline Find More Posts by rcnewbieoz
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:42 PM
Joined Oct 2011
891 Posts
Good Plan -- I'll do it.

Thanks!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:39 PM
llommel
United States, MN, Kimball
Joined Aug 2012
18 Posts
Couple of pics of the Axon I built & covered with Tape Brothers colored tape.
Thanks, Ed, for the great videos. The Armin wing is GREAT
.Name: axon 1 (640x480).jpg
Views: 145
Size: 213.4 KB
Description: [ATTACH]5250932
[/ATTACH] Name: axon 3 (480x640).jpg
Views: 199
Size: 201.5 KB
Description: Name: axon 4 (640x480).jpg
Views: 121
Size: 218.9 KB
Description:
llommel is offline Find More Posts by llommel
Last edited by llommel; Oct 23, 2012 at 11:15 PM. Reason: realign pics
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Oct 2011
891 Posts
Nice. Those props look familiar: what props are you using?

Thank you.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:54 PM
AMA# 1004189
United States, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asymair95 View Post
As promised some pics of the completed 337 Skymaster/O-2.
that is just awesome bro, good job! Can't wait to see her fly man. What degrees are your thrust angles of the forward and aft motors in correlation with the wing incidence?
conbones is offline Find More Posts by conbones
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:41 PM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Quote:
Wow man ! that is one nice bird respect !!
jetcommander is offline Find More Posts by jetcommander
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:34 PM
Fan of experimetalairlines
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
Quote:
I'm speechless, well done!
rcnewbieoz is offline Find More Posts by rcnewbieoz
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:55 PM
MD
Joined Aug 2010
85 Posts
thrust angle

On the front motor I used a standard thrust angle you would use for any tractor type aircraft 3-5 degrees down and right.

The rear engine I haven't added any trust angle to. Once I fly her we'll see if that was a bad idea or not

Forgot to mention I do not have rudders on this Oscar. I saw an ARF kit on youtube that didn't have them and she seemed to fly just fine. I was also worried about being too tail heavy. I used two elevator servos because of the proximity to the rear prop. If i added rudder servos that would have been four servos on the tail. Not to mention the strain on the BEC.

I'll try and get a video of the maiden, no promises though. Mama doesn't really "get" my addiction to this hobby.

Again, a big thank you to Ed at Ex Air for his great building techniques.
Asymair95 is offline Find More Posts by Asymair95
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:18 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,067 Posts
Wow, didn't realize I hadn't been getting my email notice when someone posts.
So found myself 6 pages behind.
Caught up now.
I haven't been building anything lately as I ran out of room on my transmitter, and 10-12 plans is enough anyway.
I have recently destroyed my original NoobTube which I will not be rebuilding because I like my 12" chord Addiction noobtube better.
I will be building a 12" x 40" wing NoobTube strictly for night flying.
Someone in my club flew his LED lighted plane at the field last night and now I have to have one.
I ordered the LED strips from china off eBay. You can get a 5m 600 light strip for $11.85 , cut it any length you need and stick it to the plane. Of course there is some wiring to do but it's pretty simple. Runs off the same flight 3s batt.
I have 5m of red, white, blue coming in two weeks.
Not sure how to power something that big, but I have a lot of motors to chose from. Maybe twin 2830 1000kv with 10x6 props.
I'll let you all know how it's going when I get started on it.
Meanwhile, if you have double vision, land the bottom plane.
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:22 PM
MD
Joined Aug 2010
85 Posts
O-2

Had the Oscar on the watt meter today. I have a 11x5 on the front and was pulling 26 amps. The 10x6 pusher on the back was 21 amps. Now I'm on the hunt for an 11x6 pusher prop for the rear but have not been able to find one that matches the front. Does anyone know if master airscrew makes an 11x6 or 7 pusher? I found an APC that would fit the bill, but it's grey. I know it's silly, but I'd like the props to match.

CG was no sweat, it was actually not as tail heavy as I thought. I still may install some rudder servos, but it will be much harder now to complete.

I also have a Du Bro prop balancer on the way as the crappy one from China didn't work well.

Standby for the maiden video!
Asymair95 is offline Find More Posts by Asymair95
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:46 PM
AMA# 1004189
United States, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2012
342 Posts
@Asymair95 check out how i do my rudders on a twin boom config it works and uses only one servo mounted in the fuse. and about the prop just make sure the numbers on the prop are facing forward and you cand change any two wires on the brushless motor and you can use a regular prop.
4CH Twin boom Armin wing (4 min 37 sec)
conbones is offline Find More Posts by conbones